Adopt Your Secret Identity With Pathfinder's ULTIMATE INTRIGUE

Ultimate Intrigue, the latest Pathfinder RPG hardcover rulebook, has been released. The book contains 256 pages of spells, feats, archetypes, new rules, and the new vigilante class which allows characters to adopt a secret identity. The book had an open playtest, so many folks are already familiar with and using the material. "Behind the Scenes of Heroic Battles and Magical Realms Lies a Seething Underbelly of Danger and Deception in Ultimate Intrigue"

Ultimate Intrigue, the latest Pathfinder RPG hardcover rulebook, has been released. The book contains 256 pages of spells, feats, archetypes, new rules, and the new vigilante class which allows characters to adopt a secret identity. The book had an open playtest, so many folks are already familiar with and using the material. "Behind the Scenes of Heroic Battles and Magical Realms Lies a Seething Underbelly of Danger and Deception in Ultimate Intrigue"

Click on the image to jump to the Paizo store to buy it. If you want to. It's $44.99 in hardcover or $9.99 in PDF.
View attachment 76659

smiteworks

Explorer
Has anyone checked this out yet? It sounds like an interesting idea, but I would think it would need some special handling by the DM so you don't end up in a split-party situation all the time. An entire group of characters who also has a hidden identity sounds like it could make for an excellent campaign.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Definitely interesting. Any book that promotes additional ideas is a good book in my book (pun intended).

I will have to browse it before purchasing, or get feedback here. Having a secret identity is not something that "requires" mechanics or a class. I don't want PCs thinking they would have to take this to do that.

But if it enhances the concept...maybe.

I am intrigued.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
Not a bad book by any means, but I find the concept stretches roleplay fluff vs crunch to a point I can't follow. Frankly I think this would have been far more suited to being a Campaign Setting hardback than a general Pathfinder RPG hardback. As the third in the line of Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Magic, Ultimate Intrigue (Martial, Magic, Skills), I find it the weakest of the three.

Again, not at all a bad book, but I find the Vigilante to be entirely too narrow to be useful outside of a campaign specifically designed to handle them. And honestly, if I was looking to roleplay a superhero, I wouldn't be playing Pathfinder RPG.

Frankly I think this would have been far more suited to being a Campaign Setting hardback than a general Pathfinder RPG hardback. As the third in the line of Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Magic, Ultimate Intrigue (Martial, Magic, Skills), I find it the weakest of the three.
Agreed. I think I wanted Intrigue Adventures more than this.

A skill based Ultimate companion book would have made sense back in 2012, but now Pathfinder doesn't need the amount of crunch this book provides. There's some good stuff, and some decent rules patches that make certain builds finally viable (such as a ranged rogue, especially one that feints) but there's a LOT of padding.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The book also has some very useful commentary on spells and skills and what they can and cannot accomplish. Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Intimidate, Perception and Stealth, Sense Motive as well as divination spells and the notorious scry and fry tactic. Frankly, those commentaries are all, as I see it, long overdue from the 3e family.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Are we reaching saturation point with Pathfinder?

I'm looking forward to Horror Adventures, but curious how much more they plan to squeeze out of this edition. Lots of material out there.

Remove ads

Remove ads