• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Advantage vs Disadvantage : What's the Math?

Ashabel

First Post
I've only recently started playing with a dedicated group, and I kept thinking that Advantage was about the equivalent to a +5 (and disadvantage equiv. to a -5 ) But I started getting very curious about it. What is it really?

The boring explanation:
Around this same time I was wondering about creating a "skill monkey" character and this would be very useful to know for it. So I simulated it (almost). I'm fairly comfortable with Excel and other spreadsheet applications. I created a roll table of d20 results. 1 - 20. Done. We'll call that Die1. Now I need to know about Die2. For each result of Die1 I need to have a Die2 result of 1-20. Okay, this means that I'm now analyzing results from 400 possible dice roll combinations.

For the Advantage, I need to look at the maximum between Die1 and Die2.
For Neither, I'll just look at Die 1 results.
For Disadvantage, I need to look at the minimum between Die1 and Die2.

More math
With this "bounded accuracy system" I decided to ignore the + and - modifiers. We can use algebra to say that rather than:

d20 roll + Mod >= DC

we can say that

d20 roll >= DC - Mod

The results:
Ad-Dis.jpg

When the DC-Mod is at 11, that's the greatest difference. 25% between having Advantage and Nothing. And a further 25% between having Nothing and being at Disadvantage.

With 5% equal to +/- 1, my initial assessment is showing to have some merit.

But then the other results start jumping out at me.

50% Success Rates
When Disadvantaged, you have a 49% chance of success at a DC-Mod of 7.
With Nothing, you have a 50% chance of success at DC-Mod of 11.
With Advantage, you have a 51% chance of success at DC-Mod of 15.

That shows that it's only a +/- 4 between the breakpoint of 50%.

Quite the Slope
Supporting the above discovery, we see that because of the breakpoint locations, we either slow down our failure rate or speed it up.
While advantaged, there is no real difference in our success rates, until DC-Mod > 15. And that stands to reason. If DC - Mod >20 (i.e. 21 or higher) it is almost impossible to achieve on just a d20 roll. Therefore we need to lose 51% success in just 6 steps of DC - Mod.
This is the opposite while disadvantaged. We lose 51% in the first 6 DC-Mod values. Beyond that, the remaining 49% success rate changes comparatively little amongst the remaining 14 DC-Mod values.

Averages
What does the above discoveries actually mean?

• Having either Peaks out at a +/- value of 5 when the DC-Mod is at 11 needed for the die roll.
  • The breakpoint (around 50% success rates on the die roll alone) shows a +/- of 4.
  • One extreme or the other show either a substantial drop or virtually little.

And this is what surprised me. Across all possible DC's the averages show that I "should" succeed:
  • 65% of the time while I have Advantage
  • 50% of the time with neither (my baseline really)
  • 35% of the time while at a Disadvantage

Mathematically I bottom out at only a +/- 3 for being Advantage or Disadvantage.

But I must admit, having Advantage and seeing one of the die rolls show a 1, or being at disadvantage and seeing a 20, really makes this feel worse at those moments in time.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The general wisdom is that it's +3/+4 with some weirdness at the extremes, which seems borne out by your work.

guachi

Hero
The thing I noticed most when I looked at it is half the time (roughly) advantage/disadvantage won't do a darn thing. Also (IIRC) you have a 39/400 chance for a 20 with advantage. And your chances decreased by 2 for each successively lower result. I.e. a 37/400 for a 19 and 35/400 for 18. And so forth until you have a 1/400 chance for a 1.

Ashabel

First Post
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]: I'm glad I'm getting results similar to others.
[MENTION=6785802]guachi[/MENTION]: 39/400 is still approx 10% chance to land a 20 on the d20. 5% normally and 1/400 with disadvantage. Yes sometimes the advantage/disadvantage is of small consequence or better said of little impact... But to almost double your chances of getting max on a random number? Larger impact.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Psikerlord#

Explorer
But also sometimes adv\disad turns a 1 into a 20, or similar. It also doesnt increase the range like a static modifier does. It cant be really be satisfyingly averaged to +3/4. It's simply more complex than that, and only looking at averages or medians is misleading or perhaps more accurately an oversimplification. But perhaps better than nothing. Im on the fence about that.

Ashabel

First Post
[MENTION=93321]Psikerlord#[/MENTION]: I agree. I couldn't find anything like this (possibly was too lazy with my search cause I wanted the challenge myself) and I just felt like sharing my observations. Attempting to quantify what advantage/disadvantage actually meant is challenging, and I'm not even claiming anything with my post. Just what my observations were as I was doing this.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

mellored

Legend
I really wouldn't count the extremes. Unless your level 1 trying to hit a tarasque, you won't need a 2 or 19 to succeed. And if you are a level 1 trying to hit a tarasque, an advantage is the least of your problems.

Instead, I would only count rolls of 5 to 15.

mellored

Legend
The thing I noticed most when I looked at it is half the time (roughly) advantage/disadvantage won't do a darn thing. Also (IIRC) you have a 39/400 chance for a 20 with advantage. And your chances decreased by 2 for each successively lower result. I.e. a 37/400 for a 19 and 35/400 for 18. And so forth until you have a 1/400 chance for a 1.
This is because we give advantage the credit for the highest die, when it could also be the lower die.

i.e.
you roll a 1 and a 20. Horray for advantage!
you roll a 20 and a 1. Horray for advantage! Except not, because you could have rolled the 20 anyways, and advantage just gave you a useless 1.

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
This is because we give advantage the credit for the highest die, when it could also be the lower die.

i.e.
you roll a 1 and a 20. Horray for advantage!
you roll a 20 and a 1. Horray for advantage! Except not, because you would have rolled the 20 anyways, and advantage just gave you a useless 1.

That's not how probability works.

You would have likely rolled an entirely different number. The act of picking up two dice and rolling them together changes both of their results.

In poker this is called being 'results oriented' and is erroneous thinking.

Remove ads