• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advantages / Disadvantages

Walking Dad

First Post
Remember: having an advantage does not mean, that the opponent has a disadvantage.
So a cursed enemy may have disadvantage, but still you need to get advantage for your attack.
The cursed enemy however will try to feint, as he can at least cancel out his disadvantage.
Good point. I just hope not to many spells/abilities will hand out advantage/disadvantage. But against an invisible creature, getting intoxicated is the way to go...

Kobolds also can safely attack on bright light, when they outnumber their foes, as their advantage and disadvantage cancel out. Also a continual light spells instantly negates the advantage the kobolds have.
This is only a patch for this specific situation, that also assumes the spell is still available at this point.

The figter in your example should also think twice about going into deeper water. Because beeing cursed may only give attack disadvantage (I don´t know where i can look up curse...) and beeing in water against someone shooting at you gives them attack advantage. Also if you have double disadvantage, there is no way, you can mitigate it or gain advantage.
Good points. BTW, being cursed is an example in the Advantage/Disadvantage rules section.

And lastly you could even rule, that if the fighter is too deep in the water, he can´t effectively use his twohanded sword.
I think this would be one of the situation Disadvantage is meant to cover. Having to make up something else because it doesn't would not be a good sign for the current rule.

NeoMaul

First Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong but it seems like this is the case with the disadvantage rules:

Firing a bow at long range = disadvantage

Firing a bow at long range while in melee at an invisible target = disadvantage

That seems really strange that disadvantage doesn't stack in some way. It's almost like once you have disadvantage you may as well not bother trying to avoid any other difficulties that will result in disadvantage.

Maybe this won't come up enough for it to seem weird, but I've noticed a lot of things tying into the ad/disadvantage mechanic...

I think this would be one of the situation Disadvantage is meant to cover. Having to make up something else because it doesn't would not be a good sign for the current rule.

I respectfully disagree:

If there is no space to fight with a certain weapon, there should be no way to use that weapon at all.
And if you are too deep in the water, i guess that counts. ;)

That seems rea

don´t forget, that you first need to find out, where the target is. So invisibility in long range will still help.

And really, if something makes a sound at long range and you can pinpoint the direction, in real life it really makes no big difference if you can see the target or not. You shoot in the general direction and in the time the projectile travels, the target is moving too much to make a difference.

It however makes a difference, if the target can see you shooting or not.

IronWolf

blank

I agree with this.

If you are standing in deep water, sure you can use your great sword, though at disadvantage. This is a great way to keep the rules relatively simple and have a mechanic to apply a penalty to any number of situations that come up.

infax

First Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong but it seems like this is the case with the disadvantage rules:

That seems really strange that disadvantage doesn't stack in some way. It's almost like once you have disadvantage you may as well not bother trying to avoid any other difficulties that will result in disadvantage.

Maybe this won't come up enough for it to seem weird, but I've noticed a lot of things tying into the ad/disadvantage mechanic...

This is a good point I hadn't thought about.

Maybe a good suggestion is that if you have disadvantage imposed on your character from some external source (the target is invisible for instance) you shouldn't be able to gain benefits from options that would make you attack with an advantage (so, if you have disadvantage, you may NOT opt to fire a bow from melee or elect to shoot beyond short range).

Kaffis

First Post
Fate also does not roll two dices.
We all know FATE rolls 4dF.

I haven't tried it yet but to me it sounds like rerolling misses with advantage and confirming hits with disadvantage might suit me better than rolling two dice and pick one.
The way I see it, I'll make my future dice purchases towards an eye of pairing off a few die colors. I buy dice periodically anyways, so this isn't an imposition in my eyes. This will give me a threshold of simultaneous dis/advantaged checks I can make in one roll.

If I am below that threshold, rolling both at the same time and taking the higher/lower is quicker. If I'm (far) above it, rerolling successes/failures is faster than pairing off or making 3-4 "sets" of paired-color rolls in series.

I'm okay with that.

You can already do this now, but if you don't reroll successes, you miss your 5% chance for a critical hit.
This is also a good point. Some DMs will likely be okay with their NPCs missing a few critical hit opportunities.

For the others... Hmm.

Okay, I've got it.

Roll your 40 attacks for your 40 advantaged kobolds. Take crits and set them off to the side -- these are definitely crits, obviously. Pick up the misses, count the dice on the table. Reroll the misses away from the crits and original hits. Count the new hits, and move the new crits to join the original crits. Discard all the non-crit dice in the second roll. Now, re-roll the original non-crit hits, and see if any crit.

You've now counted all the hits, and have a pile of crits as a subset of those. Without too much extra bookkeeping.

Personally, I'd just ignore the chance of that second-roll crit on the initial hits. It's in the players' favor, so they won't complain, either.

Walking Dad

First Post

Okay, I've got it.

Roll your 40 attacks for your 40 advantaged kobolds. Take crits and set them off to the side -- these are definitely crits, obviously. Pick up the misses, count the dice on the table. Reroll the misses away from the crits and original hits. Count the new hits, and move the new crits to join the original crits. Discard all the non-crit dice in the second roll. Now, re-roll the original non-crit hits, and see if any crit.

You've now counted all the hits, and have a pile of crits as a subset of those. Without too much extra bookkeeping.

Personally, I'd just ignore the chance of that second-roll crit on the initial hits. It's in the players' favor, so they won't complain, either.
This works :)

Remove ads