• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advantages/Merits and Disadvantages/Flaws

Caliber

Explorer
I'm looking for a good system for advantages and disadvantages in the d20 system. A house rule or a published document works.

I'm trying to convert Conspiracy X, a point based game, over to d20 and would like to keep several of the flaws and disadvantages. I've considered just saying feats are really 10 point advantages and work it out that way ... but I was wondering if anyone had anything more ... premade? :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As a general thing, I'm not a fan of disad/flaw systems where the character gains build points for having a flaw. That's just asking players to do min/maxing, picking disads they feel will be the least inconvenient for the most points gained.

Better is a disad system in which the character is given some benefit only for the times the flaw becomes an issue. The new White Wolf system does this - for any session in which the flaw becomes a notable handicap, the character earns an extra XP (where you're only getting a few each session).

It would not be too difficult to do this for d20 - maybe a 5% bonus on the XP for any encounter in which the disad is a notable hindrance, or the like.

Caliber

Explorer
Hmm. I understand where you're coming from, although the idea for this game is currently a one-shot, with no plans on continuing on with the characters. Although to be honest, I'd be interested in trying out something like you mentioned in a longer running campaign. Hmm ...

Remove ads