[Adventure 1] to B10 Night's Dark Terror to [Adventure 2]?

Morlock

Banned
Banned
If you were going to run B10 Night's Dark Terror (in 5e), and you wanted to use one adventure to lead into it, and another to lead out of it, which ones would you choose? Any version of D&D (in the loose sense: BECMI/1-5e/PF/d20) is fine, though easier conversion is better than harder conversion.

I was thinking lead out of B10 into X1 Isle of Dread would make sense. Low-level sandbox to mid-level sandbox makes sense, though background/flavor change from B10 to X1 seems pretty stark. Alternative module suggestions are welcome.

Nothing really jumps out at me for the lead into B10. I glanced at all the B series but none of them are appealing to me at the moment. What's a fun, well-designed introductory adventure to take players from level 1 to level 2 or 3 before they're hooked into B10?

religon

First Post
Two that have been converted to 5e come to mind… Keep on the Borderlands and B11: The King's Festival. I would consider either to run before B10. Like B10, they take place in Mystara's country of Karameikos. Bridging B10 and X1 is tougher. I would consider L2: The Assassin's Knot before X1. I don't think it has been converted to 5e. The 1st edition AD&D module series L, I and A series are good fodder. While they may need to be less challenging than written, Aerie of the Slave Lords, Dwellers of the Forbidden City, Desert of Desolation series and Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan come to mind.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Given what B-10 has in it, and assuming you're using its whole map as (part of) your campaign setting, you might not need an Adventure 1 at all. Were I to start a campaign with B-10 I'd tweak it somewhat, and have some of the smaller encounter areas e.g. one or two of the Goblin lairs and some of the isolated side areas become their own little adventures instead of being part of the bigger story. Then, once the party have got to the 2nd-3rd level range you can run the attack on the farmstead and dive into the main story from there. There's also some mines, if I recall, that could be used for a standalone adventure.

For what comes next: by the time they've finished B-10 they should be (in 5e) 4th-5th level at least, and at that point the future is wide open. It would greatly depend on what type of campaign you and-or your players want, but if you're doing 5e you could jump right into Princes of the Apocalypse and that'll keep you going for ages. :)

Lan-"probably the best way to use B-10 is to make its main map the core of your campaign's setting"-efan

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I was thinking lead out of B10 into X1 Isle of Dread would make sense. Low-level sandbox to mid-level sandbox makes sense, though background/flavor change from B10 to X1 seems pretty stark. Alternative module suggestions are welcome.
I'm creating a mini-Hexcrawl with B10 during my hiatus from playing DnD. I plan on just starting the campaign at 3rd level, so I don't I have much to add for a prequel. On the other hand, I've given some thought to what will happen after B10 is finished. Since the campaign wouldn't start until mid March the following suggestions are just hypotheticals for me and may get tossed for something that would fit better when/if the time comes.

1) X1 Isle of Dread. If the group wants more sandbox hex crawl...then they'll be happy to find some interesting lost travel logs with the promise of treasure.

2) Against The Slave Lords. If the group wants to take on some of Iron Ring baddies and are craving more dungeon crawls then here it is. (In my opinion, I think Von Hendricks and Bargle should wait til higher level. Edit: On second thought, why not take out Bargle? YMMV. The module X10 Red Arrow, Black Shield is suppose to deal with this)

3) Desert of Desolation. If the group wants to investigate the history of Traladarans and the ancient Nithian empire, then it's off to Ylarum.

2 and 3 will require quite a bit of tinkering on my part. Also, I plan on having plenty out-of-character discussions on what the players would like to come next. Within the game, I plan on dropping hints randomly here and there. I really can not say what those hints will be as of yet. I still need to thoroughly read Against the Slave Lords and Desert of Desolation.

Last edited:

religon

First Post
I did run Pharaoh of the DoD series before Isle of Dread once in much the manner not-so-newguy suggests. I ran it set in Ylaruam. I ran it in the late-1980's before the Nithian connection had been fully formed in Mystara. It worked well. My map to the Isle of Dread was from a priest's personal library in the Temple of Amun-Re. Players sailed from the coast of Ylaruam with a Ylari crew for the Isle of Dread.

There is a historical connection within Mystara between the Lost Valley of the Hutaakan and the ancient Nithian civilization. Connecting the culmination of B10 with Pharaoh as a lost Nithian ruin in Ylaruam is seamless.

DoD has a 5e conversion.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?739308-5e-Desert-of-Desolation-conversion

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Jhingelshod, that's the plan. Should've mentioned that in the OP.

The folks over at the piazza site would probably have more to add on your original post.
Here's the site link: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewforum.php?f=3

Also someone has done a 5e conversion of b10 there: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14505&p=166439&hilit=B10#p166439

Also B11 (possibly a prequel?): http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15058&p=170106&hilit=B11#p170106

Morlock

Banned
Banned
Yep, that's the plan too. :D I already have my grubby paws on a 5e conversion of B10 (and the D&D Next version of X1). Hadn't heard about B11 though.

pemerton

Legend
I've used B10 in my 4e game. I incorporated the 3E module Speaker in Dreams (using Threshold as the city for that module) - it could be used as a sequel, maybe connecting the villain of SiD to the Iron Ring.

I also incorporated elements of the 4e module H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth. It could also be used as a sequel, replacing minotaur ruins with Hutaakan ruins.

Remove ads