[Adventure] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge:Lord Sessadore)

jbear

First Post
[sblock=Relaying information] I prefer you thread hog than relay information by saying you relay the information. It makes it harder for me to react to what and how Sabynha has said what she has said. I think it also provides other players with something more concrete to react to in character. Otherwise I'll have to PM you with what you know ;)

I wish EnWorld had a secret text function!

I'll leave some more times for reactions from the rest of the group and post up tonight as to how the crew and Captain Peg react.
[/sblock]

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
"Now that we draw closer I see that the trader flag is backward, and I have heard of this before - My cousin Marko said he saw ships near the Jade Kingdoms do this; he called them Yak-u-za," the word was awkward for her, "and they did this as a sign for other pirates to leave them be." Sabynha tried to stay calm, but it was hard under the circumstances. She instinctively began to do what she was good at - talking.

Taking up a post where many of the crew could hear and see her, she began, unsure of how helpful it would be, "I have never been attacked by pirates, and my cousin Marko barely escaped these Jade pirates with his life, but this reminded me of something one of my brothers, Adriani, told me; he once stole a horse and told me all about it, you see."

Sabynha put on a brave face and cleared her throat, He always said that the best way to steal a horse was to do it calmly - approach the horse gently, in a friendly way, speaking softly to it. Then, when it is feeling soothed by your words, you JUMP on and ride as fast as you can!"

She paused a moment to take in her audience, then continued, "Of course, that did not work out so well for him. The horse waited patiently for him to get near, making calm horse-sounds, and when poor Adriani tried to jump on... POW! The horse kicked him in the ribs. Maybe we should do the same thing?"

[sblock]I'm not looking for any kind of mechanical advantage here, but she's trying to inspire confidence in the crew, and her fellows, by telling what she thinks is an amusing story with perhaps a kernel of wisdom in it. Let me know if you would like me to make any checks or whatnot.[/sblock]

Neil1889

First Post
Rain listens as Sabynha confirms her fears."Perhaps the Captain should tack and run? Weather or Yakuza, we can at least fight back at both. But not both at once."

Last edited:

treex

First Post
Themes had been keeping quiet until he could make sure. Suddenly he saw a flash of metal, a telltale glint of steel: they were armed, all of them.

"ARRRR! PIRATES HO! Get yer lumbering hands on deck, maties! PEGGY, WHERE BE YA, I NEED YA TO LEAD YER MEN!" Themes is shouting, almost with glee. Skirmishes at sea always excited him.

He draws out his swords and points at the black clouds ahead: "Yer be a naive wun to think that be bad weather. Those are smokes and fires, ya landlubbers! See tha' orange tinge just on the horizon? Tha' can't be the sun, can it? It's hanging high up on port side!"

"They're pillaging bilge-sucking scum! Dunnae trust their damned reverse flags and rotten pox."
said Themes.

Suddenly, Themes just had a thought: "Wait, if they're pillagers and they've just pillaged...bless me mamie's pearls, they're probably loaded with goodies..."

He turned to Captain Peggy (who finally turned up since Themes shouted for him) "Peggy, I need ye to make sure yer men don't panic, although I'm sure yer fine men dun scare easy. Everyone except those with a mommy, wife or daughter should fight. Nothing hurts more than to hurt a woman, aye?"

"Da' men on those ships are all armed..."
Themes starts telling the party. "...and these ships be movin' slow now but just wait till things get messy, they'll run circles around us. See how the ships look funny on the bow? And how the mast is so close to the deck? Yeah, they be pirate ships, alright, dun let anyone tell ya otherwise..."

"TO BATTLE, PIRATES HO, PIRATES HO! AAAAR!!"

By now, Themes is grinning from ear to ear...

[sblock=OOC]Sorry for late post, and it being a long one too. Went to sleep just as the roll's results turned up xD[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
Captain Peg, lulled into a false sense of security by the enchanting music, the presence of the dolphins and have a Lah'nun aboard the ship only half listens at what is being said. The crew at first chuckle and shake their heads and mumble something about landlubbers. He squints at the two junks, though it is fairly plain his vision is not great. He looks up at the crow's nest and as all is calm he merely grins and shakes his head.

He listens benevolently to Sabynha's story with the same daft grin. And then he does a double take. "Yakuza! Blow me down with a feather!" Then Themes speaks up. The crew reacts almost instantly to his words. Captain Peg roars: "All hands on deck! The Dolphin is under attack!!"

As the Dolphin changes tack the sails of the two junks change and they seem to rise higher out of the water as they begin to speed towards you.

GM: Skill Challenge: A Sea Skirmish fit for a Lah'nun (included by special request ;) ) Level 1 Complexity 2 Requires 6 successes before 3 Failures

Part 1: Discover the Threat and Alert the Captain and Crew: Complete!

You currently have :2: Successes and no Failures; [sblock=Note] I run skill challenges slightly differently. I don't count individual rolls towards the challenge, I count it by achieving certain goals (which might require any number of rolls/actions) or failing to reach them. For example, you :1: Discovered the threat, and :2: Alerted the Captain in time before the junks got an advantage on you. If the junks managed to get the advantage you would have had a failure. [/sblock]

Benefit: You have won a surprise round and also the initiative.

Part 2: The Chase/Battle (2 Successes) Goals: Escape or Cripple Junks; or board them and have them surrender or any combination of the 3!

You have 1 surprise action to position yourself aboard where you like, and then you have won the initiative so you act before the junks.

Edit: This is my first PbP Skill Challenge, so if there is anything confusing or that you don't understand, please ask. It makes sense in my head, but that may not be the case when you read through the options. To clarify, if you want to use the crew you have to spend your own actions. You all get to act and have the standard amount of actions available to you. Anything that is not labelled as a type of action requires a standard action e.g. firing a cannon.

[sblock=The Dolphin]
[sblock=Defenses] AC 18 REF 14
Hits: 8/8 before being crippled (Bloodied = 1 fail; Crippled = 2 Fails)
If the Dolphin is crippled it will be boarded by the crew of each non crippled junk [/sblock]
[sblock=Using the Captain and crew:]
Captain: AC 16 Fort 14 Ref 14 Will 13; 24/24 hp
Steering ship (Move Action 1/turn): Nature +8
1st mate: AC 15 Fort 14 Ref 13 Will 12; 22 hp
(Move Action 1/turn) Nature +6; Athletics +8
Crew: AC 14 Fort 13 Ref 12 Will 11; 30 hp hp (swarm Vulnerable 2; Range, melee ½ dmg)
(Move Action 1/turn)Acrobatics +6; Athletics +6; Endurance +6; Thievery +6
(Minor Action 2/turn); Requires Charisma based check DC 12 or DC 19 if bloodied: Melee or Ranged attack: +4 vs AC; 4 dmg Requires Charisma based check [/sblock]

[sblock=Fire the Cannons]Aim the cannons: Minor Action: Strength DC 8 or Thievery DC 12
Fire the Cannons: Dungeoneering or +5 vs AC 17; Success by 5 or more= Crit: 2 Hits
For each person manning a cannon Recharge chance increases by 1 (max 3 people)
Extra Effort: 1 person per cannon can spend a surge and make Athletics of Endurance check 1/round
DC 12: Reroll Cannon recharge DC: 19 Reroll Cannon recharge with chance increased by 1
Cannon 1: Charged; Crew: 1; Recharge 6
Cannon 2: Charged; Crew: 1; Recharge 6 [/sblock]
[sblock=Ram a Junk]
Align the Dolphin: Nature or +3 vs REF to align the side of a junk 1/round; Requires 3 successes before 2 fails in a row; For each success by 5 or more add 1 hit to damage caused to the junk.
Aid Alignment: Athletics, Endurance, Acrobatics or Thievery (max 1 of each per round) DC 12; each success provides the aligning of the Dolphin with a +1 bonus
Ramming a Junk: Requires Alignment; +10 vs AC; Hit: Causes 3 hits worth of dmg and 1 to the Dolphin; Miss: Causes 2 hits of dmg and 2 to the Dolphin. If the hit achieves 5 hits of dmg the Dolphin carves cleanly through the junk
[/sblock]
[sblock=Boarding a Junk]
Boarding a moving Junk: Jumping to moving boat DC 19
With some type of rope DC 12
To a crippled or rammed junk DC 8
Subdue the Junk crew: Requires captain and first mate to surrender
Reaching the Captain or First mate: Requires (2) Athletics or Acrobatics DC 12 (move action)
Otherwise it takes 5 move actions
A successful melee attack vs crew wins 2 move actions
A successful ranged attack vs crew wins 2 move actions for on board ally
Carving through the Crew: (Swarm) AC 15 Fort 12 Ref 13 Will 12 60 HP (Vulnerable 2 to close and area attacks; ½ dmg vs ranged/melee attacks)
Aura: Each PC that starts their turn on enemy boat is attacked: +5 vs AC; 1d6+6 dmg
Special:For each 10 dmg the crew receives its damage is reduced by 1 (cumulative)
Bloody the Captain: AC 17 Fort 14 Ref 15 Will 13 HP 112 +8 vs AC; 1d10+6 dmg; 2 atks/round
Special: The captain surrenders when bloody
Bloody the first mate: AC 16 Fort 13 Ref 14 Will 12 HP 38 +6 vs AC; 1d8+4 dmg and +4 vs AC; 1d4+4 dmg
Special: The first mate surrenders when bloody
[/sblock]
[sblock=Outrunning a junk] Guide the Ship: (1/turn) Opposed Nature rolls; Requires 3 successes before 2 fails in a row; each junk counted separately.
Aid Swift Sailing: Athletics, Endurance, Acrobatics or Thievery (max 1 of each per round) DC 12; each success provides the Dolphin with a +1 bonus to outrun the junks
Prayer for Favorable Winds: (Minor action 1/turn) Religion DC 19; Force junk to reroll nature check
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Yakuza Junks]
Defenses: AC 17 REF 14 FORT 14
Hits: Junks can take 3 hits before they are crippled
[sblock=Junk 1]Hits 3/3
[/sblock]
[sblock=Junk 2]Hits 3/3
[/sblock] [/sblock]

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
[sblock=GM] If the ship closes to within range. I'd imagine at the beginning of this round the distance is appx. 100 metres (300 ft appx), but closing fast as you are headed towards each other.

I will allow you to include one of the junks as a target if you use Thunder of Judgement against it. I'll add a FORT stat to defenses. [/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
[sblock=GM] If the ship closes to within range. I'd imagine at the beginning of this round the distance is appx. 100 metres (300 ft appx), but closing fast as you are headed towards each other.

I will allow you to include one of the junks as a target if you use Thunder of Judgement against it. I'll add a FORT stat to defenses. [/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]I was actually thinking of Divine Bolts against the junks. Thunder of Judgement is for trying to send the captains overboard :).

Which reminds me, how will that work in this encounter? Is it even possible to blow someone overboard?[/sblock]

treex

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I was actually thinking of Divine Bolts against the junks. Thunder of Judgement is for trying to send the captains overboard :).

Which reminds me, how will that work in this encounter? Is it even possible to blow someone overboard?[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]I hope so, I'd love to grapples someone underwater until they drown. Which would be how most Lah'nun would do it. Also, can I just swim to the junks? And then use my racial to surge past all the crew?[/sblock]

Remove ads