[Adventure] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge:Lord Sessadore)

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=Judginess]Well done everyone! Was a pleasure to read along, keep it up. :)

GM: Skill Challenge Complete!
Phase 1: Discover Danger and spur crew into action before the ambush occurs: Success!
Phase 2: Path: Fight not Flight!
Cripple 2 Junks before the Dolphin is crippled: Success!
Phase 3: Rescue 2 prisoners before they are killed: Success!

Additional Quest 1: Save the Dying Prisoner: Complete!
Additional Quest 2: Part 1: Escape the area before the Dolphin is damaged further: Success!

XP Calculations:

Skill Challenge Level 1 Complexity 2: 200 xp
Yakuza Cannons: Hazard lvl 1: 100 xp
Junk Crew: lvl 1 threat: 100 xp
Junk First Mate: lvl 1 threat: 100 xp
Junk Captain: lvl 1 elite threat: 200 xp
Yakuza: Lvl 1 elite minion: 50xp

Total XP for Challenge: 750 xp/ Double xp = 1500 xp
1500/6 = 250 xp each

Minor Quest: Save Dying Prisoner = 20 xp each/ Double xp = 40 xp

Overall xp gained each = 250 + 40 = 290 xp each
Congratulations!!

@Lord Sessadore This was an improvised encounter so it wasn't in the adventure outline. Can you approve my XP calculations please, make sure you think what I have awarded is correct and fair. Cheers!!
Looks good to me - Approved.

Note that it's been 1 month since the adventure started, so you could award time XP now. Or you could wait until the next XP award. No one has enough to level up either way, so it doesn't particularly matter right now.[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
[sblock=Levelling Up][MENTION=57255]Lord Sessadore[/MENTION] Cheers mate!!

I will have PCs level up at certain stages of the adventure as opposed to when XP levels are reached.

But I will keep track of the moment level ups should occur and track Time XP accordingly
[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=Levelling Up]Ah yes, you did mention that. Forgot already. :S

Only other thing I have to say, then, is to factor time XP into your tracking of when level ups should occur. I'm sure your players will thank you for it. ;)[/sblock]

Neil1889

First Post
As the boat sails away one of the wounded prisoners calls out weakly over the bustle. He coughs and blood pills out onto his ruined uniform. He raises an arm to get someone's attention, wincing as he pressures a stab wound with the other hand.

Finally he grabs someone walking by and spits between bloody lips: "That's no storm ... *Cough .. cough* ... Yakuza fleet .... fell on us inside the Reef" He points towards the storm upon the horizon. "... Mason's holding ... *cough* .... not for long ... need to ...*Cough cough* Sergeant ... had a message ...*Cough* ... for Varis... Yakuza already here disguised *cough* as merchants ... Sergeant ... had a message *cough* ... is he alive? Told me if I survive ... *cough* ... have to warn Varis they are going for the Gate."

GM: First person to respond is the one who the soldier grabbed

"If the Sergeant is the fellow being attended to by my companion," says Rain, pointing to Sabynha, "then, I believe he is still alive."

"However, you must rest easy with that wound and do not talk unless you have to."

Rain looks at the other prisoner. "Gate? What Gate does he mean?"

jbear

First Post
Upon hearing the news that his sergeant is alive the man relaxes and falls back to the deck.

The other prisoner looks blankly at Rain and smiles revealing a large gap where his two front teeth should be. He nods. "Uh ... thank you. I did think I was good as dead. What gate does he mean? Ratchet ... what gate do you mean Ratchet? Damn the Hells I'm cut up pretty bad. I'm not going to die am I?

The other prisoner who had spoken initially continues in a weak voice.
"It's alright Plank. No one else is dying today. *Cough* The Gate ... The Bloodstone Gate to Grey Henge ... *Cough* ... Need to get word to Varis ... *Cough cough cough* ... now."

Plank grins. "I'm not gonna die today."

Son of Meepo

First Post
Wat turns toward the rescued prisoners. He wasn't so sure why they were so confident yet of their survival, but he wasn't going to dissuade them on that hope.

"Unfortunately, we had left Sybar earlier today and are now heading away from it, so you won't be delivering your message personally to the count... However, you happen to be in luck, as we are the count's representative and are empowered to act on his behalf. So you might as well tell us your troubles and we will see what we can do about it."

Wat spoke with a practiced smile, trying to make them feel at ease.
Diplomacy (1d20+10=24)

OOC: Wat spends 1 healing surge during the short rest.

[sblock=Wat's Stats]Wat - Half-Elf Invoker 1 Passive Perception 14, Passive Insight 16 AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 13, Will 15 HP 28/28, Bloodied 14, Surge Value 7, Surges 9/10 Speed 5, Initiative +0 Action Points: 0, Second Wind [] At-Will Powers: Astral Wind, Divine Bolts Encounter Powers: Thunderwave [], Thunder of Judgement [], Shining Symbol [], Channel Divinity [] Daily Powers: Silent Malediction [] [/sblock]

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Sabynha couldn't help but overhear the conversation. She piped up to say, "Yes, your sargeant will be fine, but I haf done all I can for now. He needs rest now more zhan anysing. Perhaps we can find a berth for him belowdeck."

The vistani looks around, and flags down some able-looking crew to take care of the wounded man, before rising to her feet. Carefully, she cleans the pirate blood off her sword and puts it away. She also puts her belt-buckler back on and adjusts it.

When things have calmed down sufficiently, Sabynha goes back to playing her flute.

OOC: Song of Rest: Anyone spending a healing surge during the short rest receives an extra 4 hit points per surge.

It's a bit inefficient, but Sabynha pops a surge as well, putting her to full, and wasting 6hp :|

Daeja

Explorer
Having done as much as she can to secure the sails, Zuri notices that a few others have gathered around the freed men. She makes her way towards them, wanting to know how the rescue might impact their plans.

OOC: Zuri will healing surge, and I'll add a stat block here with her update hp but I'm running today because my mom's getting married ;) I'll also be gone tomorrow.

[sblock="Stats - Surge Used"]Zuri
Eladrin Rogue 1
Initiative +4
Passive Perception 15 / Insight 10
AC: 16, F/R/W:12/16/13, Speed 6
HP: 24/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value: 6, Surges left: 5/6
Action Points: 0

Conditions

Powers:
MBA: Dagger, +6 vs AC, 1d4+3
At-Wills: Disheartening Strike, Riposte Strike
(e)Surprise Strike:
(e)Torturous Strike:
(e)Fey Step:
(D)Precise Incision:

Combat notes: Sneak attack is 2d6+2[/sblock]

Last edited:

Neil1889

First Post
Upon hearing the news that his sergeant is alive the man relaxes and falls back to the deck.

The other prisoner looks blankly at Rain and smiles revealing a large gap where his two front teeth should be. He nods. "Uh ... thank you. I did think I was good as dead. What gate does he mean? Ratchet ... what gate do you mean Ratchet? Damn the Hells I'm cut up pretty bad. I'm not going to die am I?

The other prisoner who had spoken initially continues in a weak voice.
"It's alright Plank. No one else is dying today. *Cough* The Gate ... The Bloodstone Gate to Grey Henge ... *Cough* ... Need to get word to Varis ... *Cough cough cough* ... now."

Plank grins. "I'm not gonna die today."

When things have calmed down sufficiently, Sabynha goes back to playing her flute.

OOC: Song of Rest: Anyone spending a healing surge during the short rest receives an extra 4 hit points per surge.

[sblock=OOC]Rain is on 20 hit points. She spends a second surge for this encounter, and this gives her 7, plus 4 for Sabynha's song and it returns her to full hit points at 31.

jbear, would any of our characters know anything about this Bloodstone Gate and Grey Henge?[/sblock]

Rain frowns when the injured man keeps talking, as she leans against a nearby rail and cleans her blade. Her head cocks to one side as she momentarily listens to the flute.

[sblock=Ministats:]
Rain

Female Tiefling Swordmage, Level 1.
Initiative: +1, Passive Perception: 9, Passive Insight: 10. Senses: Low-light vision.
AC: 19, Fort: 13, Reflex: 14, Will: 14.
HP: 31/31, Bloodied: 15, Surge Value: 7, Surges left: 9/11
Speed: 6 squares. Size: Medium. Languages: Tsugo, Allarian.
Saving Throw Bonuses: Nothing to report.
Action Points: 1
Powers:
Infernal Wrath
Second Wind
Guardian's Counter
Aegis of Shielding
Sword Burst
Booming Blade
Sword of Sigils
Dimensional Thunder
[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
Wat turns toward the rescued prisoners. He wasn't so sure why they were so confident yet of their survival, but he wasn't going to dissuade them on that hope.

"Unfortunately, we had left Sybar earlier today and are now heading away from it, so you won't be delivering your message personally to the count... However, you happen to be in luck, as we are the count's representative and are empowered to act on his behalf. So you might as well tell us your troubles and we will see what we can do about it."

Wat spoke with a practiced smile, trying to make them feel at ease.
Diplomacy (1d20+10=24)

OOC: Wat spends 1 healing surge during the short rest.

[sblock=Wat's Stats]Wat - Half-Elf Invoker 1 Passive Perception 14, Passive Insight 16 AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 13, Will 15 HP 28/28, Bloodied 14, Surge Value 7, Surges 9/10 Speed 5, Initiative +0 Action Points: 0, Second Wind [] At-Will Powers: Astral Wind, Divine Bolts Encounter Powers: Thunderwave [], Thunder of Judgement [], Shining Symbol [], Channel Divinity [] Daily Powers: Silent Malediction [] [/sblock]
"Sergeant Sharp knew the details ...*Cough* ... What he told me was after those junks surprised us and took us prisoner ... *Cough cough* They hurt the Sergeant pretty bad ... to make him talk. He ... *cough* he told me that if we found away to survive ... we had to get a message to the Count. That Yakuza were going to attack the Gate ... you know Bloodstone Gate? The transport portal? *Cough* It connects through to the Grey Henge in the Isles of Opposition. Serge said they were disguised as merchants. I'm guessing he meant others than those that jumped us... *Cough*"

Ratchet nods at Sabynha's words. "Good. The Sergeant is a good man. He knows more than me ... *cough* about all of this. What I do know is that our fleet is engaged with more of these pirates. Brutal dog fight. Yakuza from the Jade Islands. They have a Gateway themselves. *Cough cough cough* Suppose they don't much like having competition. You're flying the Counts flag. He'll want to know this. You're going to have to ... *cough* turn the ship around."

GM: You can actually see the island of your destination. You aren't far from the coast. At the present the Dolphin is making its way around the coast to reach the port of destination. You can't be more than 1-2 hours away. The Dolphin is travelling noticeably slower now and the sun is setting.

Unless anyone wants to continue the conversation ...

An hour and a half later as night kills day the Dolphin slowly sails into port.

OOC: It's safe to assume you are all aware of the Bloodstone Gate, it's function and it's importance to the blossoming economy of the Crystal Isles.

Last edited:

Remove ads