(Adventure) A hunting trip

Pyrex said:
After checking to make sure his weapons and gear are packed and ready for travel in the poor weather Remi turns to Bron and asks:
"Master Bekkle, I've seen many creatures in the heart of the wood, but I've never heard of an 'Ormfene'. What sort of creature is it you're hunting?"
"It is not the good sort," Telerin grumbles under his breath. He eyed the man, feeling more of a need to be out in the forest, "There seems to be more dire circumstances in the forest than when I left..."

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
The old man turns once again to Telerin 'Well Master Elf, I would've thought you knew the word. Not a particular beast, for it kin be a Troll, a Dragon, some abberation or a twisted Man. The Ormfene is an upsetter of the Balance of Nature, which you hold dear, as do I. This beast has slayed farmers, game and fouled streams, as well as damming them to get at the fish in the ponds. It has no regard for the order, and I plan on stopping it. If you folk would join me, I think it might serve as a proper lesson in The Hunt that Mistress Katherine seeks. It will be dangerous, though. This Beast walks on two legs and is very large, as well as cunning. It has set more'n a few traps for me, as it knows I'm after it.'

Looking at Whitefang he sighs and adds 'I found a Wolf-Den that the beast had discovered as well. It killed the Dam and all the pups. Seems he doesn't want no competition in his Huntings.

OoC:The word is slang, not a particular creature.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Uriel said:
The oldster looks from one to another and then says with a somber tone laced with seriousness 'Well, truth be known,Lass, Storms a might dreadful time to be Huntin, at least for sane folk. Me, I have been after a particular Ormfene for the better part of a month, though it seems an ellusive Thing. It has no qualms about preying on the good folk as well as the animals of the area during bad weather.'

"Ormfene..." Katherine finishes a short note and leans over to seal it with candlewax and her ring*. "My former family was sometimes called to help destroy such and in other generations known by that name themselves, but to me it sounds like a worthy target of a hunt. I will return in a moment." She gathers her things and goes up to change, without her usual singing.

*for any both close and curious enough to note such things, the ring is of iron rather than gold and shows the tree motif of the D'sylvans, (a small ‘royal’ family from a small kingdom wealthy in lumber and tradition, but not much else), but the design is marred by a heavy scratch. A keen observer will notice that the scratch lines up with light scars tracing the knuckles of Katherine’s thumb and middle finger. When she uses the ring, the imprint gives the impression of a tree crossed by lightning.

Uriel said:
Looking at Whitefang he sighs and adds 'I found a Wolf-Den that the beast had discovered as well. It killed the Dam and all the pups. Seems he doesn't want no competition in his Huntings.'

Telerin sighed and nodded. This was definatly something that needed dealing with. He stood up and looked to Aranel, "Do you mind watching Whitefang a moment? He will be find if you just keep paying attention to him. I will go prepare to leave."

((OOC: Just a note...Telerin is Human.))

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
OoC:Sorry about the Elf/Human thing A-M-G. As well, I have been havng a horrible time getting online in the last few days That seems to be cleared up now, however.

The Oldster nods at the words of the youngsters. Part of him felt guilty at asking such young folk for aid, as they had many years left to live, while he was near his natural end <He looks perhaps 60-65 years of age>. Seeing the steel in their eyes and their willingness to help, however, old Bron Bekkle smiled. Helping take down this Fiend would help these young folk prepare for the cruel realities that ENWorld was capable of dishing out. Besides,they looked able.
Bekkle began 'Well then, if'n yer set in aiding me, we can leave within the hour. The storm shouldn't be getting bad for a couple of hours yet. Have ye horses? The area that i think the Ormfene is in now is about 10 miles distant.I've a couple of horses an' a pony. We could double up if need be. The ELven lass looks light enough to ride my pony, Sprout.''

Pyrex

First Post
Uriel said:
'Well then, if'n yer set in aiding me, we can leave within the hour. The storm shouldn't be getting bad for a couple of hours yet. Have ye horses? The area that i think the Ormfene is in now is about 10 miles distant.I've a couple of horses an' a pony. We could double up if need be. The ELven lass looks light enough to ride my pony, Sprout.''

"I don't have a horse, but I can ride one.
Aranel, if you need to do anything before we leave I can watch Whitefang until Telerin returns."

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Bron Bekkle smiles, waving over one of the several lads that seem to constantly be at he Red Dragon, hoping for stories or small odd jobs and errands to do for the adventurers that frequent the establishment.
'Ere, Samuel, 'eres a silver. Take some o'the other lads'n bring me Horses and Sprout as well, I'll beneedin'm all fer this Hunt.'
The lad jumps to his feet, catching the offered coin and is immediately swarmed by other young boys hoping to get a piece of this job. Picking 4 others, Samuel grins and leaves the Red Dragon to get the Tracker's steeds.

An hour or so later (after all of the Hunters have got their gear), all is ready. Bron Bekkle stands by a tall Roan, Giselle, he names the mare, along with Red, another Roan, Greylocke,a heavy horse suited to large loads (that Bron says he uses when bringing in big game, as the horse can easily pack 2 deer and doesn't spook from the scent of the dead prey) and a palamino named, obviously enough, Spot. Along with a sturdy looking pony, Sprout they look a rather family-like group of Equines. Giselle is clearly the Leader, as she nips and keeps the others in line as they prance about nervously awaiting their charges.

Bron Bekkle awaits the others, calmly sitting atop his Horse 'I last saw the Tracks of the Ormfene about 8-9 miles out of town, near Farmer Krimp's mushroom farm. I do hope the old boy is all right, as he's a friend of mine as well. He will have a hot meal fer us, too, an his Wife makes the finest mushhroom stew within 50 miles.As well, we can hole up in his barn an' leave Giselle and the Lads there as well, should we need to Hunt this thing on foot.'

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
Uriel said:
Bron Bekkle awaits the others, calmly sitting atop his Horse

Remi moves up to Red and pats him reassuringly a few times letting him get used to his scent then begins storing his gear in the saddlebags.

"With any luck we'll make it to the farmhouse before the storm breaks."

Telerin leads Whitefang over to Spot, and the two animals idly sniff at each other, while Telerin pats the horse. It was a wonderful specimen...they all were. He knelt down a moment next to Whitefang, "You want to run with us?"
The wolf eyed him a moment and moved his head towards Telerin's hand. The Druid grinned and patted the wolf's head before getting up onto Spot, "Whitefang seems to thing he can run and keep up with us."

((OOC: Just a note...Aranel's having trouble logging in and posting. Still trying to get that fixed...))

Aranel

First Post
"Aranel, you wound me!" Katherine exclaimed with a mock gasp. "Boredom may well be the only thing I am capable of slaying, and you would take my only foe? But it would be a delight to have a sister along." The elven term she uses is warm without being overly presumptuous.

Aranel had laughed again and stood to bow in apology. "My dear sister however can I apologise? Keeping at bay the demons of boredom and lazy-thinking can ofcourse be your job. Which leaves me little to do but tag along and cheer." She straightened and smiled. "Though I wield a blade and I do have a little skill in disarming traps." She added to the small group after thought.

As she watched people bustle about to get ready she heard Remi offer to allow her a chance to ready herself. Turning with another warm smile she shook her head. "Ready I am, all I need I carry." She announced cheerfully.

Once the Wolf had been properly fussed over while his...friend? companion? master? (Something to inquire about delicatly) Was away she then followed them out to see the horses and pony.
Sprout (wasn't that a vegetable?) looked a happy creature. Big though...
Aranel eyed it ..her? Nervously and moved over to let the creature smell her, get used to her before she attempted climbing up.

Last edited:

Remove ads