• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Adventure ideas for a group of first timers?

koesherbacon

First Post
Yesterday our brand new FLGS was having a Magic draft tournament (or something... I don't play Magic). I went anyway and set up a table with my Pathfinder books and a bunch of character sheets. I was hoping to find one or two additional players for my current PF group. To my surprise, I was approached by six people who had never played DND or PF or any RPG before. They were all interested in joining a game, but since they had no experience they were apprehensive about joining a game that's already 14th level.

So I did what any insane person would do. I told them I'd start a second group, just for these new players (with the addition of my wife who has been playing for about six months, so she's pretty new too).

Now, I hate low-level games, I prefer mid-level, around 10-16. That's way too high for new players to jump in. So I rolled 1d4+1 to decide the level, and ended up rolling a 4. So the game's going to be level 5. That seemed like a good level to start, since they aren't totally lame 1st level characters and have a good amount of spells and abilities to choose from.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting here is to find out some adventure ideas for this group of first-timers. What do you think I should prepare for their first adventure so they can get used to their character abilities in and out of combat?

My idea right now is to have them all be from a small sea-side village. The group is high enough level that they would be more powerful than the average villager, but not too high that it wouldn't make sense for them to start their adventuring lives there.

I think the plot will begin a few days after a strange event has been occurring around the village: at night, all the town's livestock begin waking and staring at the moon. Nothing can break their concentration on the moon, no matter how hard the town's ranchers, shepherds and farmers try. When the sun begins to rise, the animals return to normal and act as though nothing had happened during the night.

Their game would start the day after all the animals disappeared. The owners of the animals have asked the townsfolk to attend a meeting in the town hall, where they will ask for help finding their animals and returning them unharmed.

Then it'll be up to the adventurers to figure out what happened to the animals, why they were mesmerized by the moon and where they have gone.

Think that's a good idea for these new players? If you were a new player, would that plot be interesting to you? Would you want to play in that game?

Thanks a bunch!

That's a good adventure start, though I'd recommend a lower starting level. For true newcomers you're going to have to introduce every concept in the game, so relatively simple character sheets with a relatively small number of options is preferred. You don't want the game to stall while a spellcaster reads every spell description. If one player is having fun and the others are bored, you won't get a repeat. The mechanics and choices will come; what you want to grab them with as quickly as possible is the idea of interacting with each other and that they can do anything they can envision and explain.

I recommend starting with a game that includes a balance of RP, exploration, and combat. It's important that they get a couple of quick victories in the first session, both for the reward (some treasure is always welcome) and so they get a couple of opportunities to test out skills/powers/spells and so every character gets a moment to shine.

Rakusia

First Post
my advice run a small dungeon geared towards first levels even if they're level fours. it will give them an easy "challenge" to learn how combat works, a good start on rewards and general ability to get better gear. one thing have the first "game" night with them making their own characters. if you give them pregens it will lead to bad habits and make them more detached from their characters and less invested in the role playing side to the entire thing. one of the least bad effects of this is a group of hack and slashers. also if a character dies and they dont know how to roll one youll have to make another. possible outcome of you rolling every character they ever want to play.(my current dilemma)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I've found that level 3 is an excellent starting point for new players. They'd be about as tough as first level 4th edition characters with about as many combat options. Encourage a new player to pick a Sorcerer over a Wizard for ease of spell selection.

From an adventure standpoint, yeah, your premise is interesting enough to me to pique my interest... but as a new player, I would probably be more interested in and adventure with a clear goal and stuff I can beat up versus a "mystery" in a world where I don't know how to do anything because I don't know the game rules.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I can't imagine truly newbie players being successful creating and running 4th level Pathfinder characters. That's a HUGE mouthful of rules to shove at them all at once. Bite the bullet and start them at 1st level. Yes, it takes a little work to create adventures that they can safely navigate, but they'll learn SO much more easily in smaller chunks. AND you won't be depriving them of the iconic experience of "oh my gosh, I died from being bitten by a giant rat!"

Also, I have to say that your adventure opener SOUNDS more like a really low-level adventure than one for tough, already-experienced 4th or 5th level PCs.

koesherbacon

First Post
I'm going to give it a whirl with the higher level characters. If things don't work out well, I'll have them lower their levels but I think the group will be able to handle it.

They did make their own characters, which I agree will help them connect with them and allow them to have a better idea about what they can and cannot do. One good thing that happened purely by coincidence is that they mostly chose martial characters. They won't have to worry about spells and just stick with attacking with weapons which will make things a lot easier for them.

I also only gave them 170gp each for starting equipment. No sense letting them figure out magic items yet, I'll give them plenty of treasure as rewards and I'll nerf my monsters to make it easier for them in combat.

Rakusia

First Post
dont forget the bbeg have him make an early apperance almost beat them and then leave it should probably tie them up to the story nicely. we have to level we have to beat him how do we get strong enough to beat him (or her far to few bbeg are male that is sexist and i for one aint going to put up with it anymore)

brvheart

Explorer
I agree on starting them at level 1. There are all sorts of new level 1 modules out there including Stoneheart Valley that includes the Wizards Amulet which is still one of the best modules for introducing new people to the game. It doesn't presume that people know anything and is a teaching module in many ways.

I prefer mid level, 5-8, myself. Still when players have to think and not be dependent on magic for everything they do.

Vyrolakos

First Post
Brand new role-players, who've never played any role-playing game, let alone D&D or PF?

You might hate low level games, but they've never experienced it. You mustn't steal the experience of starting at 1st level from them.

Perhaps you find the rules simple and intuitive (having played it at much higher levels), but I can pretty much guarantee you that they wont. Starting at 1st level and getting to experience the game mechanics at their most simplistic, with the least amount of interacting feats, confusing spells and the inevitable magic item equipment bonuses, is the safest way to keep them playing beyond the initial experience.

Embrace the chance to start them off at 1st level! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads