Adventure in the Open Skies: The Liralen Irregulars (Eberron, Updated 5/10)

Krafus

First Post
I'm afraid I don't remember much of this story due to the extended hiatus, but I must commend PhoenixAsh on the quality of his prose. :) And it looks like poor Ruel has just triggered some very nasty magical effect...

Heh heh, as soon as I heard about the "gone dogs," I correctly deduced their nature. However, I have to wonder at the party's wisdom at leaving those foes behind. Even if the blink dogs apparently cannot come into the Reavers' area, if the party needs to backtrack quickly (i.e. with foes on their heels), they'll be in big trouble.

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Update #39: False Idol

The Stonekeepers, with the exception of the strange, colorful man and the Raver who stands as his personal guard fall prostrate to their knees. The guard backs off as Ruel steps forward slowly – while the colorful man stares with wide eyes. By Ruel, Sasha bows her head slightly, while behind her most of the rest of the Irregulars shift uncomfortably. Alexandre chortles quietly, certain the wizard is playing a trick and entirely amused by the results.

As it turns out, Alexandre is correct.

Ruel, in the guise of Sythriel, reaches into a fold of his new clothing, producing one of his own scrolls. Reciting from it, an image of Ermineth d’Phiarlan’s tower appears in miniature, though still impressive scale, before him. He points at it, making no sound but indicating a desire to go there.

Sasha lifts her head and announces, “The statue wants to go there!”

After a hard look at the statue-guised wizard, the colorful man comes to the same, correct conclusion as the Irregulars, “Blasphemy!” he screams.

The Irregulars vault into the room, easily making it past the prostrate Stonekeeper who is standing beside the door. Dox remains behind, covering the stairwell against any escape. Ruel attempts to regain control of the situation, “It is you who are the blasphemer! Recant and you will be forgiven!” The wizard incants and casts Charm Person on the colorful man. Unknown to him, however, the man is not a normal man but a Memmelith, and wholly immune to the effects of the spell.

The female Raver, mastering her courage after the Irregulars move past her, rises and pulls out a club, smashing it into the armored cleric in front of her. Sasha staggers, but her armor absorbs most of the impact and she is only bruised by the hit. The colorful man’s guardian steps forward to attack as well, but twists his foot awkwardly in the glass and his off-balance strike misses Sasha completely.

Audric glowers as the Ravers start to attack Sasha and taking his longspear thrusts it into one of the prone Ravers near at hand. It bites deep and he screams angrily while yanking the head of the weapon free, “You’ll die for your idol!”

Audric’s angry exclamation provokes the rest of the Stonekeepers into action. They begin to rise and work themselves into a hostile frenzy. Sasha is once again attacked, and once again she is hit, but her heavy armor serves her well against the crude clubs of the Ravers and she weathers the attack unharmed. Despite the violence, none of the Ravers seem able to bring themselves to attack Ruel, still disguised as Sythriel.

The Memmelith chants, invoking bardic music to Inspire Courage to his allies.

The Ravers cluster around Sasha, focusing their attacks on the armored cleric. She weathers several blows, her full-plate serving her well against their makeshift clubs. One strikes her to the side of the head, however, and her head rings painfully with the impact. Elisa and Alexandre maneuver forward to support her, and along with the cleric draw blood from multiple Ravers with their blades and one Stonekeeper falls from his injuries. A blink dog joins the fray and its claws pierce a weakness in her armor at the back of Sasha’s calf, tearing into skin and flesh, then vanishing afterwards. Loki lumbers forward after invoking Vigor for protection, readying his great axe.

Alexandre stabs another Raver rising to join the battle, quickly finding himself beset by foes on all sides. He takes a painful clubbing to the ribs and scowls darkly. Ruel, still in the disguise of Sythriel, pulls another scroll out, seemingly from nowhere and recites from it. A violent clash of colors spews out from the wizard's hands, and two of the Stonekeepers around Alexandre collapse under the colorful cacophony. Alexandre smiles, finding the odds now more to his liking.

Audric plants his spear into the rubble beneath him and using it for leverage, whirls into the air and kicks twice at one of the Stonekeepers, but the man avoids one and blocks the second with his club and is unscathed by the flurry of kicks.

Elisa batters aside an attack from the guardian, but grits her teeth as she feels blink dog teeth sink into the back of her thigh. The Memmelith incants and Elisa feels an odd compulsion to consider him her friend, but under the bloodlust of her rage, shakes it off. Ruel immediately recognizes the spell as Charm Person, “Elisa, that man is not your friend!”

“Gee, you think?” she retorts, smirking. “Don’t worry, I’m fine!”

Ruel frowns, though it does not translate through his disguise and mutters, “The probability of that is low…”

Alexandre tears into the remaining standing Stonekeeper and his thinblade and dagger both cause shallow injuries to his opponent. The Stonekepper strikes back, battering down his guard and slamming him with his club. Elisa cuts down the Memmelith’s guardian while Loki confronts the blink dogs, striking hard but missing as the blink dog vanishes out from under his strike at the last second. Sasha backs off and casts Cure Light Wounds, taking the sting out of the worst of her injuries. Ruel once again tries to put down the Memmelith, but his Kashandi’s Hideous Laughter is once again rendered useless by the strange nature of the Memmelith.

Audric grinds his heel into the throat of one of the color-sprayed Ravers, crushing his windpipe and killing him instantly. “I hate uneducated worshipers of false gods,” he growls.

The blink dogs nibble at Loki, drawing blood – though the half-giant barely notices with his health augmented by his Vigor ability. Loki attacks the canine once more, and once again it blinks out of the way at the last moment. Elisa has better luck, and a blink dog yelps as she tears open its flank with her greatsword.

The Memmelith tries to charm Elisa once again, and once again she shrugs off its effects. Before Ruel can open his mouth she calls out, “I’m still going to kill the bastard Ruel, relax!”

Alexandre presses his attack, continuing to litter the Stonekeeper he is dueling with holes. Sasha Cures the rest of her injuries while Ruel begins a summoning spell. Audric comes to Alexandre’s assistance, and a hard kick sends the Raver sprawling to the ground. “I had him! I had him right where I wanted him!” Alexandre complains, popping a Cure Light Wounds potion to take the edge off of his injuries.

Audric rolls his eyes, “Uh huh.”

Loki is tired of trying to hit the blink dogs. He charges out from between them, wincing as each tear into his legs, but undaunted as he whirls his axe into the Memmelith. The Memmelith gurgles and doubles over as the axe tears through his armor and deep into his rib cage. Loki shakes the axe free and the Memmelith crumples, dead.

As the bard falls, the blink dogs howl then as one abruptly disappear. The Stonekeepers all lie dead or dying.

“Nice, Loki!” Elisa whistles appreciatively at the giant’s decisive attack.

“Nice job guys,” Dox smiles, emerging from the stairway. He moves over to the Memmelith as Ruel casts Detect Magic, and together they locate and pry away the man’s valuables, including magic studded leather, four potions and masterwork weaponry.

Alexandre looks over the large statue and cocks an eyebrow, “Uh… how are we going to get this out of here?”

Sasha sighs. The Stonekeepers were at best a very strange group of Ravers, to be treated carefully, but it seemed like there was a real chance of resolving the matter without bloodshed. Still, the Irregulars kept to their word satisfactorily. “If you break it apart I can repair it, with Dol Arrah’s blessing. Not right away, but I’m willing to do so later.”

Ruel smiles, “There’s the solution. Carefully though, we do not want to shatter it if we can avoid it. Try and break the limbs off cleanly!”

The Irregulars have time, and a great deal of brute force in Loki and Elisa, and soon have the bulky statue broken into manageable pieces. All of the Irregulars are obliged to help, but they manage to carry the statue piece by piece down through the spire, back into Fallen, and safely out of the district. When they reach a civilized area of Sharn, they rent a cart and haul the pieces upwards to collect their reward. The hour is quite late when they reach Silvervine, and call upon Ermineth d’Phiarlan – but the elderly elf receives them eagerly.

“You found all of it! Oh this is magnificent, well done. Very well done all of you,” she beams, pouring over all of the contents of the cart.

“We apologize that it is piecemeal, but Miss Larkana will repair it, if you wish,” Ruel says.

“Thank you dear, but that won’t be necessary,” Ermineth smiles at the young cleric. “I will take care of that. You all have done your job, now please enjoy your reward. Oh, and if you come across the missing left eye, there’s another hundred platinum in it for you.” She provides the Irregulars their reward: 500 platinum pieces, more than enough to distract all of them – except for one.

Sasha clears her throat, “Miss d’Phiarlan? What do you intend to do with the statue?”

Ermineth apparises the cleric with a shrewd glance, “Reassemble it my dear, of course.”

“And then?” Sasha folds her arms.

Ermineth smiles, “So, you noticed as well. Yes – it is too well constructed to be ‘just a statue’. But I have no plans for it other than to keep it for my collection, at this time.”

Sasha nods, “They named it ‘Sythriel’. You should know that. I intend to research it and determine its origin. I hope you will not do anything hasty until I have finished.”

Ermineth’s smile doesn’t falter, “That’s very kind of you dear.”

Ruel lifts an eyebrow interjecting, “If I may, I’d like to work with you on that, Sasha.”

It nears midnight as Ruel and Sasha walk back towards the Boar’s Head from the theatre, at the conclusion of their date. Sasha looks skyward and breathes a pleasant sigh. It has been quite some time since she’s felt particularly safe at such a late hour. The trials and dangers of the statue Sythriel feel far away, though in reality they only occurred a day ago. A transition has come to her life with the group of adventures called ‘The Irregulars,’ and now she must weigh the need for a sabbatical against her obligations to Fallen. Her date with Ruel has provided some perspective – a change of pace has felt good.

However, she’s struggled trying to explain faith to Ruel – and has come to the realization that it is a foreign concept to the precise and logical nature of Ruel’s mind. In the end the proof of Dol Arrah’s approval of her is her ability to channel divine magic and positive energy cannot be denied. Ruel must accept this, but still seems to be trying to frame it around the rules and laws of magic that he knows. Their discussion becomes cyclical, then abstract and frustrating.

“Ruel,” she says finally. “Stop trying to think of your dreams as coming from a God. What else could they mean?”

Ruel sighs, “Most likely that I am losing my mind.”

Sasha laughs gently, “I disagree. You aren’t acting like your crazy. You are acting like you’re under a lot of stress. Maybe this is your own way of dealing with it. Possibly this is something magical, or perhaps something else entirely. I think you need to stop trying to frame this as a religious experience.”

Ruel raises his eyebrows, “I did not expect to hear that from you.”

Sasha laughs again, “You expected I would use this to convert you?”

Ruel is still serious, “Frankly… yes.”

Sasha sighs and looks at Ruel seriously, “I want to help you. But all roads do not lead to Dol Arrah. You acted with discretion in Fallen and you seem like a good person – though inconsiderate to a certain bard at times, perhaps. You should try and be nicer to Kashandi.”

“Ah… yes, well… I suppose it would not hurt to try,” Ruel says, flustered.

“Good. Find your own way. Do not follow another path because it is attractive at the moment,” she admonishes him.

Ruel absorbs this for a moment, “Yes, that makes sense. Forgive me for burdening you with this…”

“No, no! It’s alright, I’m happy to help,” she says. “We can talk about this again any time you want. I’ve enjoyed the evening.”

Their conversation is on lighter matters by the time they reach the Boar’s Head Inn. The common room is still active, even in this late hour. Friendly voices filter through the doors as they pause outside of it.

“Where are you staying Sasha? You are on sabbatical now, correct?” Ruel asks.

“There is a bed for me at the church,” she responds, not answering him exactly.

“Why not stay with us?” Ruel asks. “Dox is friendly with the innkeeper here, I am sure we could get you a room at a very good price. Staying at the church sounds very dull!”

Sasha hesitates. Inside the inn laughter once again reaches their ears. Finally she smiles and nods.

“Wonderful!” Ruel grins, opening the door for her. “You should consider joining on with Ravien aboard the Liralen with us. It is a great way to see the world, and I am certain he would be eager to have you onboard. All of us would.”

“Oh…” Sasha looks wide-eyed at Ruel. “Do you really think so?”

“I know so!” Ruel nods as they enter the inn. “Can you think of a better way to get a new perspective?”

As they enter the inn, Sasha sees Dox chatting animatedly with the bartender. Noticing them come in he grins at the cleric and wizard and gives them a friendly wave. In a corner she sees Audric sitting with both hands clasped around a steaming earthenware cup. He looks up at her with a clouded look. She offers him a smile and he seems relieved by it, smiling and nodding simply back.

“I can’t,” she answers Ruel’s question, still smiling.

tmaaas

First Post
DM's note: PhoenixAsh really caught me off guard when Ruel took the form of Sythriel. Based on a few die rolls, it wasn't enough to fool/convince the (mostly mad) memmelith. But great ideas should always have some sort of reward. And so Ruel was able to operate from within the middle of a melee and never be attacked. He used this, of course, to great advantage.

Micah

First Post
I do remember that fight. It was supposed to be much harder.
Between the Ravers and Blink dogs I was supposed to have enough to keep the party busy while the memmelith threw the hard hitting spells in the mix. Elisa's two consecutive will saves were a bit of a surprise, as was Loki maxxing out a critical hit. Bye Bye BBEG in one hit. :\

Due to the difficulties inherent with the play coming into the maze with the blink dogs, tmaaas decided on having them dissappear when the memmelith was killed. There is an evil DM part of me that would have loved to see the party get the statue back out through that mess, but it wouldn't have been fun for the players. When you only play once a month, you don't want to have an entire session that everyone is dreading, just because it will be a tedious waste of time.

Now the group plays much better together than they did then. The Irregulars have been pulling together and planning tactics more often than in those early games. Now I wouldn't hesitate to throw the need for an exit strategy in their path.

Ethalias

First Post
Phew! I discovered this SH about a week ago, and it has kept me enthralled! I'm very glad to see that the extended hiatus has come to an end, I look forward to more posts. Very inspiring stuff, thanks to all involved.

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Just a little note for readers new and old:

Thank you for reading. :)

This adventure spelled the end of Loki as a PC at our game. For reasons unknown to the group his player has not returned to the gaming table since the session detailed here. Actually, the one prior – I played Loki’s character when he delivered his critical hit (9d6+12 damage – Yikes!) that took down the Memmelith. It was perhaps a fitting final hurrah for Loki.

Tmaaas and Micah did retain Loki as an NPC, so he keeps his position aboard ship and will likely pop in to the storyhour now and then in that regard.

Sasha became the 6th member of our party. So the group composition is now:

Alexandre – Human Fighter/Swashbuckler
Audric – Human Monk
Dox – Changling Rogue
Elisa – Human Fighter/Barbarian
Ruel – Half-Elven Wizard (Enchanter)
Sasha – Half-Elven Cleric of Dol Arrah

Everyone is 3rd level.

I will try and keep the postings frequent and the unexpected hiatuses to a minimum. There is more to be detailed in Sharn, but the Irregulars will hit the open skies once more soon. If they can keep their jobs…

Micah

First Post
Yeah, that's one of our lessons learned. When you start a gaming group get more contact info than first name, e-mail, and ENWorld moniker. Things like phone numbers and last names are important. :\

The current group now is pretty steady. I have high hopes that we'll be gaming together for a long long time.

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Update #40: Steel Rose

Most of this update should be credited to Micah, as it was taken largely from between-session emails sent from her to myself and Sasha's player (LadyMoon).

Ruel shields his eyes from the glare of the sun off the white marble and gold gilding of the temple rising above him. Dol Arrah; part of the Sovereign Host, Goddess of the Sun, giver of life - he mentally calls up the factual data he knows about the religion. The list of facts is quite extensive. But then Ruel is a wizard, a master of the arcane, his mind is brimming with facts. Facts that don’t dispel his sudden case of nerves in the slightest.

His companion does not suffer from nervousness. The sun glints off of her golden hair and shining plate armor, catching in the details of the engraved roses that course up the gauntlets, greaves, and chestplate. It’s an odd combination of beauty and strength that represents the character of the woman who wears it well.

The glaring sun is mercifully blocked as they enter under the great marble entrance. Ruel’s eyes take a few minutes to adjust to the darker interior. A mosaic shifts in the shadows, scales and luminous eyes focusing into a portrait of the host. Soft, melodious chanting drifts from the front of the church. A figure in white and gold robes waits at the altar. Ruel swallows as an uncomfortably heavy feeling of commitment and promise descends on him. The effect of the feeling is complete with the jelly-like state of his knees.

Sasha Larkana, now steps ahead of him, turns and smiles. It’s a dazzling sight and he realizes that along with commitment there is also a deep sense of peace and joy in his surroundings.

“Come on let’s go, I want you to meet Iefan,” her hand reaches out and grabs his. Leg muscles trained in dance move of their own accord.

“What was I thinking?” Ruel murmurs quietly, shaking his head. His eyes water slightly and the temple shifts into a more solid reality. The host stares out of the mosaic and the figure by the altar is leading a group of students in a catechism.

What is Faith?

To hear with my heart
To see with my soul
To be guided by a hand I cannot hold
This is the substance of faith.

What is Radiance?

Light that blinds
Light that burns
Light giving sight to those who can’t see
That is the substance of radiance.

What is Sanctification?

The heart seared
The soul blinded
To have faith tried by radiance
That is the substance of sanctification.

Sasha nods at the robed figure, “Arch-bishop Vallant. He always leads the novitiates in their first catechisms. I’ve always thought that was interesting for such a busy, powerful man to take time out to do that.”

Ruel follows his companion as she heads through a maze of meeting rooms, hallways, and offices. She knocks at a non-descript door and when it opens she immediately hugs the elderly man beyond it in an enthusiastic embrace of greeting. “Iefan! It’s good to see you!”

The priest laughs, the rich sound of a man who understands joy. “It is good to see you too, child.” His eyes scan over the entertainer standing beyond his protégé. “What brings you here?” There is the slightest lift of a silvered eyebrow, though his voice remains warm and happy.

The cleric steps back from the priest, “I am going to take your advice.” For a moment her voice is heavy, tinged with regret, “New paths have opened for me, I will leave Blackstone in the care of whomever you choose.”

The priest studies the eyes of the young woman before him. He nods eventually. “There will always be a place here for you, but for now I believe in my heart that a sabbatical is wise. Blackstone is an oppressive place. It’s not my choice that any clerics should have to begin there. Tell me about this new path.” Iefan glances appraisingly at Ruel.

The golden haired cleric laughs. “This is Ruel, he is the wizard aboard the airship that I told you about.”

The morning passes swiftly for Sasha and Iefan, slowly for Ruel. He senses the unspoken bonds between the two others in the study. He also is aware that he is being weighed silently in all of his responses and gestures. Iefan has an aura of assessment that is almost tangible. Disconcertingly, Ruel cannot tell where he is falling with the man that Sasha looks to as a father.

“We need to do some research on the name Sythriel – I think it may be Celestial, have you any suggestions as to where we should start?” Sasha asks finally.

“The Athenaeum would have the most likelihood of containing that type of information. Talk to Bishop Caedlyn – she knows that place like few others.” Iefan looks at Ruel. “It is closed to all but those in service to the Host. Sahsa can go there and I can show you around the library here. The tomes aren’t as extensive in some areas, but it is a decent library for the laity, perhaps the Sovereign will guide our efforts. One never knows where the search for an answer will be met. And I have a feeling that this young man is no stranger to books, so perhaps we’ll have the edge yet?” Iefan grins, teasing the plate clad cleric, who rises to leave.

Sasha rises, laughing casually at the joke, “We can compare notes later, Ruel.” The wizard is highly aware of the click of the door, leaving him alone with Iefan.

The older priest looks at the young man before him. He’s seen beyond the gaudy entertainer’s garb. Throughout the morning he’s let his senses surround the man, much as he did Sion a few days before. Oddly enough he feels a sense of comfort about the half-elf in spite of the shadows that swirl about him. There is a core of power that has not yet been discovered deep within the wizard. Iefan muses, comparing Ruel once more against the paladin who will now be taking Sasha’s place at Blackstone. Sion is also very powerful - power though has its dangers. Iefan tries to push aside the discomfort he feels at placing another priest at Blackstone. He looks up at Ruel and concentrates on the young man.

“If you hurt her I will be sorely tested in my oath against vengeance,” it would be a threat except that the priest is laughing silently, his eyes sparkling with mirth. He senses Ruel’s sudden tension at the words. “Don’t worry son – it’s no more than any father would tell you about their daughter. It is good to see her this way. Young, loving life again. No one should have had to carry the weight she has had to. I am glad that she will be with the airship, away from here for a while. Take care of her, please.” Iefan looks at Ruel and shifts the conversation before the wizard has a chance to answer. “And now it’s off to the books. . . ”

It has been a long day, Iefan Conwys settles at his desk. Goodbyes have been said to one of his students. Sasha has been very dear to him and he will miss her more than he really wants to admit. He has many weighty decisions ahead of him. But this one at least has been much easier than he had thought it would be. His fingers run over the fine parchment and heavy wax seal. A request for a cleric of some abilities, that was not unusual – he was in charge of clerical assignments. This request had come in with the morning courier. He had finished reading it right before Sasha had knocked on his door. Grateful that the Sovereign had directed with clarity in a decision that would have been hard for him, Iefan lays the document down. The seal is that of House Lyrandar. The request is signed by one Lord Ravien, owner of the Liralen.

Ruel and Sasha’s research extends throughout the rest of the Irregular’s layover in Sharn – for the information they seek proves to be quite elusive. Though they collaborate on their plans and trade notes in the evenings over meals, they act independently – each in the places of knowledge in Sharn they are most comfortable with.

Ruel doesn’t spend a long time in the church archives, but instead visits Morgrave University. Inside the Great Hall of Aureon he soon attracts a small crowd of academics with polite inquiry and a rather impressive Silent Image of the statue.

“If your depiction is accurate, that is one impressive piece of sculpture,” one announces. “Have you considered that it might be a living creature turned to stone?”

“Yes, I-“ Ruel answers, but is interrupted by a mousey gnome in spectacles. “It is a celestial being, certainly it is an angel!”

“It could be half-celestial,” an older professor interrupts. “Note the lack of wings.”

“They may simply be missing from the statue,” she argues. “Was there any sign of a trumpet or a lantern being held by the statue?”

“Ahh… no,” Ruel answers.

“I don’t think they were broken off, I think it was constructed this way. You can tell by the way the stone was shaped on the back. It looks scarred, like the wings were ripped off in life,” a dwarf announces, from the back of Ruel’s projected image.

“Why would its wings be ripped off?” the mousey woman counters.

“I’m sure I don’t know! Ask a priest!” the dwarf glowers, stomping a foot and leaving.

“Good advice,” the older professor smiles and walks on about his business. The gnome stares hard at the illusion before leaving without further comment. Ruel dismisses the illusion with a sigh and turns to leave, but is confronted by a middle-aged human in leather armor and dark, unobtrusive clothing.

“It’s a living creature, you know that don’t you?” Ruel recognizes the voice as the first who suggested the idea among the academics.

“That is a possibility,” Ruel responds, moving towards the exit. The man follows alongside him.

“Where is the statue now? It’d be helpful to take a direct look,” he suggests.

Ruel doesn’t trust the man, but keeps his expression ambiguous, “A private collection.”

“Where did you say you found it?” the man presses.

“Fallen,” Ruel replies curtly. The man stops following Ruel as he exits the hall, but the wizard feels the man’s eyes on his back until he turns a corner.

Sasha sits down in a cramped office in the Athenaeum – the church archives for the Soverign Host. Bishop Caedlyn has finished research started at Sasha’s request, and they are meeting to discuss the results.

“The etymology of the word is Celestial in origin, as you suspected,” the archivist responds after a moment to frame her thoughts. “It can mean bearer of light or in some cases bearer of the covenant. Historically, when a bearer of the covenant appears it is to herald a new covenant. Thought that is a matter of debate - a ‘new covenant’,” she smiles, bemused. “You will find traditionalists who entirely discount the idea along with others who would call each covenant a new chapter in the way we relate with the divine.”

Sasha looks surprised, “The Host has sent such angels?”

The archivist sighs, “Very rarely. The records I am referencing are quite ancient. In all cases they focus far more on the message then the messenger. There is a great deal of ambiguity on the nature of the messenger.”

“I see,” Sasha considers.

“Of course, ‘bearer of light’ may reference a specific order of angels. This would quite different than ‘bearer of the covenant’. This order of angels is looked to for divine assistance in times of trouble or distress,” the archivist continues.

“Is there a way to tell the difference, which it may actually be?” Sasha asks.

“No. Not without some context to frame the distinction,” the archivist answers. “That is all I can really tell you.”

“I see,” Sasha sighs. “Thank you, you’ve given me a lot to think about.”

“What you are describing is cult worship.”

Ruel looks to the curator of the Dezina Museum of Antiquities. The pair walk through the darkened hall of the museum, as the museum is near closing. Only a few straggling patrons continue to linger, attempting to cram as much sight-seeing into the day as possible.

“It does have similarities to cult worship,” Ruel agrees..

“What sort of creature were they worshiping?” the curator asks.

“It was a statue, actually. By appearance, a wingless celestial being,” the wizard answers.

The curator stops and looks at the wizard. “Huh. Haven’t heard of a non-living object being the worship focus. Still, it’s a cult.” He continues walking, “Go back sixty years in this very city, there was a cult led by a figure known as ‘The Radiant One’. Got pretty large, started worrying the religious authorities and city council after a hundred or so poor souls ended up dead in a warehouse in the cogs, converted to a temple. Over a thousand were never seen again. No trace of the missing, no obvious cause of death among the dead. There was another cult center in Thrane, and the Silver Flame missionaries had a hard time with that one. There was a protracted siege, something of a holy war, and it took a lot of the Flame’s better soldiers, arcanists and clerics to destroy it. There are similar examples throughout history, going back 200, 500, 1600 years, or more.”

“That is concerning,” Ruel says.

“Damn right. Sounds like you nipped this thing in the bud. Good job,” the curator nods.

“What did this ‘Radiant One’ look like?” Ruel asks.

“So far as I know, no one’s ever seen him. Except maybe the dead people, or the missing. Can’t exactly ask them though,” the curator replies. He opens a side door for the wizard “I’ve got to close up here.”

“Thank you for your help,” Ruel nods, leaving through the held door.

Sasha walks the art gallery of the Citadel of the Sun. Though the works here have been a pleasure to observe, nothing has proved to be illuminating in her search. It is nearing dusk and she should leave if she is to meet Ruel for dinner. As her thoughts wander, however, her eye is caught by a painting she had missed before. She gasps involuntarily as she takes it in.

It is a painting of an angelic being. The background is dark and oppressive and the perspective seems to be looking down on the central figure that is kneeling. An angelic creature slumps over two beautiful white wings torn from their sockets, blood covering their bases. Blood also drenches the figure’s back and it seems obvious that the wings are its own. The posture suggests great grief, and what might be tears glisten on the back of an exquisitely formed hand. The title of the painting is ‘The Price of Your Own Way’.

A young priest observes Sasha’s reaction and approaches her, “Are you shocked by the painting or drawn to it? It seems a harsh punishment, to me. The artist worked from ancient prints where it suggested that Angels who fell from grace were punished by a curse to never fly again. I never thought of it so graphically until this came in – I suppose I figured they would be bound to walk the land, not that their wings would physically be ripped off.”

Both priests look at the painted canvas for a moment before the man continues, “Most of the older priests say that it is here to generate a reaction and that it isn’t an accurate depiction of doctrine. I think they want to convey the importance of following Sovereign command. Honestly, I mostly feel sorrow for the angel in the picture. It’s a bloody piece of work.”

“Please,” Sasha asks, tearing her eyes from the picture and looking at the man. “Do you know the name of the artist? Is he living or deceased?”

“Alive. Here, I’ll write it down for you,” the man scribbles the name on a piece of paper and hands it to Sasha.

Sasha snatches it and nods, “Thank you. Forgive me, but I need to go.” She walks quickly from the gallery.

Ermineth d’Phiarlan is surprised to see Ruel Dunnanne and Sasha Larkana at her home not more than a week after they recovered the Sythriel statue for her, “Good morning, do either of you care for refreshment? Some tea? Have you two found the left eye for me?” She smiles pleasantly, gesturing to a comfortable loveseat as she seats herself in a cushioned rocking chair.

“Forgive us Erma, but no we are in a bit of a hurry. We haven’t found the eye, but we have learned some facts about the statue we thought we should share,” Ruel takes the offered seat.

Sasha sits, but keeps her back straight, not allowing herself to lean back into the comfortable couch. She wears her full-plate and her expression is serous, giving her a hard look in the pale morning light, “Miss d’Phiarlan, I would appreciate it if you allow ecclesial scholars to examine the statue.”

Ermineth smiles mildly, “I prefer Erma, dear. No need to be so formal. Now why do you say that?”

Sasha remains serious, “I believe the statue may have considerable importance. It may have serious implications to the way in which we relate to the Host. It may also be extremely dangerous.”

Ruel chimes in, “I spoke to some experts on the matter myself, Erma. It could be tied to some very deadly cult activity from sixty years ago.”

Ermineth evinces a measure of surprise, “The Radiant One incident?”

Ruel nods, “The very same. It may be wise to consult the church and civil authorities in regards to this statue.”

Ermineth sighs, “Ahh… but then surely they will want to take the statue away from me, won’t they? I do believe I paid you very handsomely for the statue. You are the adventurous sort - I am not under the illusion that the money hasn’t been spent. I am not so rich that I can throw money away like that.”

Sasha frowns, “Miss d’Phiarlan, this is very serious.”

“I will take your warning very seriously, Miss Larkana,” Ermineth replies, her tone even, though tinged with iron. “However, I will also deal with Sythriel here how I see fit. I am afraid that must be the end of that discussion.”

A moment of tense silence reigns. Finally Ruel clears his throat and rises, “That is the only reason we stopped by. Again, forgive me, but we are in a great hurry.”

“Of course Ruel, I am not offended in the least.” Ermineth closes here eyes and leans back in her chair, rocking slightly. “Give my best to Ravien, you’ll make a good addition to the crew Miss Larkana.”

Neither Ruel nor the standing Sasha can hide their surprise that Ermineth knows who they are meeting with and why. Ermineth does not appear to notice their reaction. The pair depart in silence.

Sasha stews silently while Ruel hails down a skycoach to catch them up with the rest of the Irregulars. Finally she announces, “I don’t trust that woman Ruel.”

“Her dealings with us have been fair, so far,” Ruel replies.

“Maybe. But she has her eyes on us. You particularly,” Sasha says.

Ruel doesn’t answer, focusing on hailing down one of the sky coaches whizzing by.

“Mark my words. One day she is going to ask you to compromise yourself, and possibly the rest of us as well. You had better be prepared to recognize that day when it comes.”

Micah

First Post
I believe that original post was another April 1st piece. A bit of teasing since PhoenixAsh not only was bringing his girlfriend into the game, but the two of them were playing characters that had romantic inclinations.

Interestingly enough the key piece that stirred up trouble, wasn't the description of the temple with heavy marital overtones, but the description of Sasha's armor with the engraved roses. :p

Over the last year of play I've had to look this piece of writting up more than any other to that date in my game file, which goes to proove that even a joke can become an integral part of the game.

On another note, I am quite thankful for this write-up as it has helped refresh my memory. It's always nice to be able to pick up open plot hooks from the past and expand on them. :cool:

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Update #41: A Broken Airship and a Missing Deckhand

This game session was a bit unique for us. First off only Sasha’s player, Alexandre’s player, Dox’s player and I made it to the session - and Dox’s player was late. Thankfully (for the DMs) their absence could be explained by the circumstances of the adventure. The first half of the session we spent individually tracking down errant members of the crew. We record each session and I usually transcribe these updates from those recordings, but this particular session was difficult as we had 3 players pretty much constantly doing individual searches around Sharn with our 2 DMs. Special thanks to Tmaaas and Alexandre’s player for transcribing their part and making the below update easier to write.

In any event, the first half of the session (and the next couple updates) will be rather action light – and heavy on detail of our escapades running around the city. However, finding these members of the crew turned out to be extremely important later on.

Don't worry though, the second half of the session saw the situation getting more violent…

Ruel and Sasha catch up with the rest of the Irregulars before the appointed time of their meeting with Ravien d’Lyrandar, but the whole of the group is made to wait in a sparse waiting room outside of his office in the Lyrandar tower. The sharp-eared among the group overhear him conversing with a woman.

“Ashaya, what business brings you here?”

“Nothing but gloating my dear Ravien, nothing but pure unadulterated gloating.”

“You’ve heard about the Liralen then,” Ravien’s statement is not a question and his tone is iron cold.

“The Liralen? Oh my no! Is there news about your precious little airship,” Ashaya’s tone drips with mockery.

“Ashaya, I haven’t the time to play games with you. If your sole purpose in coming here is to gloat about the rumors, I’ll give you the privilege of hearing it from me. My ship is crippled. There you’ve had your fun, now will you please leave me to my work?” Ravien’s voice sounds tired and worn.

Ashaya is all business in her reply. The abrupt shift is somewhat disconcerting, “The Liralen is crippled. How?”

“I owe you no explanation of that Ashaya, you’ve been at cross purposes with me for some time now. One could hardly expect me to be forth-coming with information to a rival in the House,” Ravien answers carefully.

“True, nothing is owed on my account, but you will tell me or I will find out another way. What is your preference there? I do have an active interest in the construction of elemental bound crafts, perhaps I could come up with a possible solution for you.”

It is very quiet in the room – as if Ravien is weighing Ashaya’s words for truth or sincerity. Eventually the Irregulars hear his reply.

“The ship was a new design, easily three times larger than any airship yet constructed. Its size was supposed to be compensated for with a new process of elemental binding. The result lasted for a short time. But now it becomes clear that even an augmented helm of wind and water is not adequate to maintain the control necessary to fly the ship. She can still be made airborne, but at a fraction of her previous speed. I need not tell you how that will affect the future of the ship. Specifically the finances that she could have been capable of bringing in that are now out of reach.”

“You find yourself in a dilemma Ravien. Sell out to me – I can easily recoup your loss in her construction,” Ashaya offers.

“And exactly what would you do with the Liralen?” Ravien sounds genuinely surprised by the offer.

“Oh I have ideas, perhaps I could fix her… hire a new crew… make the ship a profitable and proper Lyrandar vessel,” she muses.

“The Liralen’s crew is one of her best assets Ashaya,” Ravien now simply sounds annoyed.

“Oh yes your hand-picked crew!” Ashaya laughs nastily, “You know there are some things we never will agree on don’t you.”

“Yes Ashaya – I do realize that. Just as much as you know I’d never sell out to you.”

“Oh well. On to the technical discussion then. Your helm of wind and water is augmented by Khyber shards. Is it not?” Ashaya’s tone changes like the wind.

“Yes, the most powerful currently available to the House.”

“Ah, yes, but not the most powerful ever available to the House,” There is a silent period again and the Irregulars are at a loss for what is happening. When Ravien’s voice returns it is much lower and they catch hints of awe, “The wreck of the Galivant…Where did you get this map?”

“From someone who has assured me that there is no other map like it,” Ashaya replies smugly.

“It could be a scam. Many know how ardently we’ve sought to recover the Galivant,” Ravien cautions, but his awe is tinged with clear desire.

“Ravien, when was the last time I fell for a ruse?”

“How much do you want for the map?”

“It’s not for sale. As I told you earlier, I merely came by to gloat,” she lilts.

Ashaya exits the dead quiet office with a barely contained look of amusement on her features, throwing the Irregulars a callous glance before departing the waiting room entirely. The Irregulars collectively note a dragonmark openly displayed on her back – a Greater Mark of Storm.

Ravien appears at the door a moment later, and his visage matches his prior tone of voice – worn and tired. He beckons the Irregulars inside, “I apologize for the wait.”

As they all sit down, his eyes briefly flash to Sasha, the only newcomer among them. But he only shakes his head, “I regret to inform you that I will be releasing you all from my employment.”

“We… overheard some of your conversation,” Audric advises. His face is still a picture of disappointment, a rare display of emotion from the monk.

“Well, that will make things quicker. The fact is the Lyrandar’s design has failed, and it will no longer function in the capacity I had envisioned for it. The same capacity by which I had envisioned all of you providing your services,” Ravien admits.

Alexandre looks hard at Ravien. “What was Ashaya talkin’ about? I thought I heard her say something about a ‘Wreck of the Galivant?’”

Ravien looks at his deckhand, “Yes… I’m embarrassed that you heard that. I do not care for the woman, but I admit I would pay a lot for the map-“

“That’s not what I meant,” Alexandre interrupts curtly. “Tell me this – there’s somethin’ on the Galivant that would let the Liralen fly proper again. S’that right?”

“In theory… yes. The Galivant contained the greatest Wheel of Wind and Water ever installed aboard a Lyrandar airship. It should be able to handle the elementals bound on the Liralen,” Ravien indulges Alexandre’s curiosity patiently.

“So you need a map, aye?” Alexandre grins suddenly.

“Where are you going with this Alexandre?” Ravien’s voice reflects that his patience is ebbing.

Alexandre leans back, continuing to grin. He pulls his ratty backpack up into his lap and roots through it, pulling out a weathered map case. Twisting it open, he rises and unrolls the leathery contents in front of Ravien. The half-elf studies the map only briefly before rising abruptly to his feet.

“The map!” Ravien moves swiftly to the door, peers outside of it, then shuts it and locks it. Coming back around the table he takes a second look at Alexandre’s map, and then looks up at the man. “This could save her! This could save the Liralen!”

“Aye,” Alexandre smirks. “How much is it worth to ya?”

Audric glowers at Alexandre, “’Xander…”

Ravien looks down, “A lot, I’m sure you overheard that much. If I am to make the Liralen ready to fly however…”

“Ah, I’m just kiddin’ ya. So long as we all get her jobs back. Oh, and give her a fair shake at a job onboard. She’s alright,” he jerks a thumb at Sasha.

“Yes, that I can do,” Ravien smiles, nodding at Sasha. He relaxes for a moment in his chair, hope seeming to give him new life. He then looks shrewdly at the Irregulars. “We have to move quickly. Ashaya will be after the Galivant quickly. I’ll need all of your help, to prepare the ship and recover the crew, you see you were the last to be dismissed...”

The Irregulars are divided. Dox, Audric and Elisa are enlisted to help prepare the Liralen for departure. Alexandre, Ruel, and the newest member of the crew – Sasha are tasked with finding much of the crew, who have scattered across Sharn. They have a day to try and make this happen.

Ruel holds a list of the missing provided by Ravien, with notes on their location scribbled quickly beside them:

-First mate: Aloysius
-Bo’sun: Fendrik – Rooming at Lyrandar Towers Room #1890
-Cabin Boy: Errol – Rooming at Lyrandar Towers Room #1892
-Cook: Meat - applied for kitchen help wanted at the Rowdy Tankard.
-Undercook: 42NATO – Last seen looking at a news clipping detailing Sharn’s fine dining scene
-Scullery: Cynde d’Lyrandar – 1476 Skyview Tower
-Deckhand: Redbeard
-Scribe: Oliver d’Sivis - Sivis Sending Stone @ Sivis enclave Box 57893 , Mail picked up daily at 5pm, 671 Sivis Enclave Apartment #18, Dragon Towers district, Middle Central
-Healer: Vijaya d’ Jorasco
-Healer’s Apprentice: Grelyn d’ Jorasco
(Vijaya was attending some healer’s conferences at Morgrave University )
-Entertainer: Kashandi Navoestra - last overheard saying she needed to find a job.
-Guard: Kyrjet d‘Lyrandar - Sea Ray Tower #333, Sunrise district, Tavick’s Landing
-Guard: Tamblyn d’Lyrandar - Crumbledown Tower #5, Longstairs district, Lower Northedge
- Griffin Rider: Maddy Tregear - Can be contacted by reaching: Lt. Brandon Tregar
Daggerwatch Garrison, Upper Dura
-Griffin Rider: Gemma d’Lyrandar - Stormwind Keep, Oak Towers , Upper Northedge

“Ah hell, this is impossible!” Alexandre spits, after a quick glance at the list.

“Nonsense,” Ruel considers the list thoughtfully. “We just need to whittle this down a bit. Now – Fendrik and Errol are in this very building, I will simply speak to them directly. Ravien told us not to worry about Aloysius. Oliver, Cynde, Kyrjet, Tamblyn, Maddy and Gemma all have left mailing addresses. I will have letters sent via courier. That just leaves Meat, Fortunato, Redbeard, the Jorascos and Kashandi. Now, we do not need to find Meat. Fortunato was a better cook anyways…”

“That’s for damn sure,” Alexandre agrees.

“Entertainment is a low priority for this mission, so we need not find Kashandi…” Ruel continues.

“Ruel!” Sasha admonishes sternly. “We are not leaving behind Kashandi.”

“Ahh…” Ruel looks flustered, but then smiles. “Right, we should do our best to find her. Alexandre, why don’t you try and find Redbeard. He was a deckhand like you, you probably know him best.”

“Right, good as done!” Alexandre grins.

“I will look for Fortunato,” Sasha says.

“Good,” Ruel nods. I will send these messages and then look for the Jorascos.”

“And after that, you will find Kashandi,” Sasha looks hard at the wizard.

“Of course!”

The hot sun beats down on the dome of Lyrander Tower, making the deckhand squint as he contemplates his task – finding his fellow deckhand Redbeard. Ruel’s logic made a certain sense. He did work with the man, more than anyone else. However, as Alexandre thinks over his conversations with Redbeard he grimaces – beginning to realize they were pretty one-sided. Really, all he knows about Redbeard is that the man likes to keep to himself.

“Great!” he complains sourly to himself. “Fantastic.” Turning around abruptly, he turns back in to Lyrandar Tower, deciding to ask around if Redbeard had anyone that he talked to among the crew that are still near at hand. Unfortunately, no one knows any more about Redbeard than he does.

“Why don’t you ask the captain who hired him on?” A half-elven sailor asks archly. “That’s who ought to know the man best.”

“Ravien,” Alexandre rubs his chin thoughtfully and nods. “Good idea mate, thanks!”

Alexandre strides purposefully towards the meeting rooms and offices from the crew lodgings. On the way he crosses a short sky-bridge and sees One-Eyed Jack at the Guide Booth beneath him – his old friend who helped him and the rest of the Irregulars before when they arrived in Sharn. “Hey! Jack! Wait around!” He points at the man meaningfully.

One-Eyed Jack gives him a strange look, but as Alexandre enters the office area he can hear Jack holler back, “Make it worth my wait!”

Alexandre has to dodge around scurrying office workers once inside, rushing frantically to fulfill rushed business orders. It would appear the Liralen’s unscheduled departure is putting a strain on house resources. He grabs the arm of one of the workers, who nearly scowls at the interruption, “Can I help you?”

“I need to talk to Ravien,” Alexandre says seriously.

“He’s busy at the moment,” the worker replies tersely. “It’ll be at least an hour before he’s available, if you care to wait.” She jerks her gaze over at a row of a few chairs against a wall and then pulls free.

Alexandre grumbles as he goes over to the chairs. Before he sits he thinks better of it – he doesn’t have an hour to waste. He goes back outside and finds Jack. “Alright Jack, We’ve got work to do!”

“Aye?” Jack squints at Alexandre.

“Aye! I’ve got a man that needs finding, somewhere in Sharn. Which means I need a guide, and you’re the best in Sharn, right?”

“Aye,” Jack smiles.

Alexandre claps Jack on the back, “Good man! Let’s see. If I just got fired, what would I do?” Thinking a moment, he snaps his fingers, “Hey let’s go see if any of the other ships are hiring on!”

Jack and Alexandre spend a few minutes chatting with the crews of the two other airships berthed at Lyrandar Tower, but neither are hiring deckhands – and no one has seen a man with a red beard asking for a job.

“That’s okay,” Alexandre concludes. “Redbeard could have joined on with a sailing ship. Jack, where would you go if you were a sailor trying to hire on?”

Jack is silent.

“Hey you’re a sailor! You should know this! What happened to the guy that knows Sharn like the back of his hand?”
Jack jingles his coin purse meaningfully. “Well that information is for paying customers. Aye, I’ve gotta make me livin’ somehow.” He says almost apologetically.
Alexandre just laughs and hauls out five gold pieces and slaps them in Jack’s hand. The man’s one good eye gleams, “Off we go, n’ how fast be you wantin’ to find this bloke?”

“Fast!” replies Alexandre

“How fast?” challenges Jack

“Money is no object!”

Jack gets a gleeful gleam in his eye and trots off towards the air coaches, motioning Alexandre to follow. He heads towards the most dilapidated, patched together coach Alexandre has ever seen. Its driver is snoring under a copy of the Sharn Inquisitive.

“Hey wake up Crazy Man, I’ve got you a job! My friend ‘Xander here wants a fast ride down to Ships Towers – what’s it gonna cost?”

The pilot slowly pulls down the paper from across his face and rubs his eyes. Without looking at Jack or Alexandre he throws out a hand at them. “Fifteen gold.”

Alexandre provides the demanded fee.

“Get in, hold on and if you’ve gotta stow your stomach contents, do it out the window,” Crazy Man advises. No sooner are they inside than the sky coach sidles over to the platform edge, then the driver lets it plummet in freefall. Skimming the surface of the great towers, dodging oncoming vessels and coaches, and recklessly snarling traffic with the spectacle of his wild descent, it heads towards the dock district with two ecstatically hooting men in the back seat.

When they arrive at Ships Tower (in record time), it costs Alexandre five more gold to retain the driver there for them. Alexandre and Jack ask around, checking out every lead they can find about any sailing ship hiring on deckhands, but can’t find any leads to the whereabouts of Redbeard. When they return, they find Crazy Man agitated at the wait, despite the lavish retainer Alexandre provided. When the two men hop back in, Crazy Man curses and mutters at other sky coaches, but he still get’s them to the next docks district – Sharn’s Welcome – in record time and with an abundance of harrowing maneuvers.

When they disembark Crazy Man holds up a hand to forestall further gold to keep him on retainer, “Keep your business to twenty minutes or less and I’ll stay. I don’t want to be grounded longer than that.”

Alexandre raises an eyebrow, and he and Jack do as much searching as they can in the limited time span. Alexandre eventually takes to asking random passersby if they’ve seen a man with a red beard. The answers are, unsurprisingly, no.

Jack elbows Alexandre, “Time’s up, we gotta get back.”

Alexandre grins, “Hey I think I’m getting better at getting information off of complete strangers!”

“Too bad the information is all ‘Nope, not seen him here.’” mutters Jack.

“Yeah well I think I’m starting to come to the conclusion that Red Beard didn’t come here. It’s kinda hard to pick up a trail when there never was one. How do you go about finding folks in this place?”

“Well you could always hit up an inquisitive at one of the Finders Guilds,” Jack offers.

“Inquisitors. I like the sound of that, tell me about them,” Alexandre smirks.

“House Tharashyk, who else?” Jack snorts. “Good as any at finding whoever you want, here or anywhere.”

“What are we waiting for?” Alexandre grins.

The pair return to Crazy Man who whisks them off to Dragon Towers. When they arrive, Crazy Man stretches his copy of the Inquisitor over his eyes and almost immediately starts snoring loudly.

“Guess he’ll wait for us,” Alexandre laughs as the pair disembark and head in to the House Tharashyk inquisitor offices. The duo is treated cordially and professionally when they arrive, and give a description of Redbeard. After a battery of questions (most of which Alexandre is forced to answer with ‘I don’t know’ to), the Tharashyk investigator summarizes, “So you want us to find a tall red bearded sailor, goes by the name Red Beard or at least used to. Last seen at Lyrandar Towers wearing a uniform of the airship Liralen. No ther information regarding relatives or interests. Well you know that’s not a lot to go on. This will probably take several weeks – if we can find him at all.”

Alexandre shakes his head and sighs deeply, “I really need to find him by tomorrow.”

“Well,” the man slides a parchment in front of Alexandre with a list of the House’s services and their costs. “There are other ways we could go about this. Discern Location is probably your best bet. You could also try Discern Creature, which is a little more risky, but if you have a solid idea on which district he might be in, it’s an option.”

Alexandre looks over the list and the prices and nearly chokes, but covers it with a soft chuckle, “How much for just a normal inquisitive?”

“One gold a day, plus five gold to cover any unforeseen expenses,” the man replies without a hint of reproach.

“Alright, I’ll hire a day’s worth,” Alexandre shells out six more gold pieces for the service. After filling out some more paperwork he and Jack shuffle back outside. “Jack – I need a place to think. A place with good food and better brew.”

Jack grins appreciatively, “Aye! That I have the answer for!”

A quick trip later sees both men at a tavern in Elladra’s Kitchen. One-Eyed Jack is well on his way to complete inebriation, while Alexandre is more reserved in his drinking. Thoughtfully, he announces, “Ya know Jack, I’m thinking it might be that we won’t find this guy.”

“Aye!” Jack announces loudly, lifting his mug as if in salute. A moment later Jack seems to actually comprehend Alexandre words and lowers his mug. “Aye. Tis likely.”

“But really how hard would it be to find another sailor? I mean a good sailor – a sailor like us. Where in town would you go to hire on a sailor like us?”

One Eyed Jack looks steadily at his ale before swigging down half a tankard, “Only be one place in town that I’d be a hirin’ out of – that’d be Skulls Eye Wharf. Quality sailors there, none of that flim-flamsy uniform boys who don’t know port from a good drink.”

“That sounds like a good idea to me. But maybe I should try checking in with the boss man one more time. He still might know more ‘bout Red seeing he hired him on. So that’s the plan – boss man then Skulls Eye Wharf then maybe ‘nother tavern,” Alexandre drawls.

Jack agrees readily to the plan, thinking that the last part is an especially fine feature – particularly since Alexandre continues to foot the bill. Jack had forgotten how good of a friend Alexandre is.

This time when Alexandre returns to the Lyrandar offices, he tracks down Ravien directly – finding him speaking with artificers working on the Liralen itself. The conversation seems important, so he waits for a few minutes, but Ravien notices him and gives him a few moments of his time.

“What is it Alexandre?” he asks abruptly. Ravien is considerate, but also extremely busy.

“I was wonderin’, what do you know about Redbeard? He’s ah, provin’ hard to find,” Alexandre explains.

Ravien sighs, “Not much, I’m afraid. I know he is a Gatekeeper druid. He’s been quite competent and reliable, but he keeps to himself and I’ve respected his wishes for privacy in his personal affairs.”

Alexandre nods, “More than I knew, thanks.”

Ravien nods, “Your welcome, good luck.” He turns to leave but Alexandre stops him short with another question.

“Hey if we don’t find him, do you want me to go down and hire on a new crew member? Jack here knows the best spots in town.” The deckhand hooks a thumb at One-Eyed Jack, who tries to stand a bit taller, but fails to stop the awkward sway that has afflicted him since the pair left the inn where they took in dinner and drinks.

Ravien raises a quick eye brow and then smiles at Alexandre, “That’s fine initiative crewman, but I like selecting my men personally. One of the perks of owning the ship I guess. Thank you for the offer though.” With that, Ravien leaves them.

“A Gatekeeper Druid,” muses Alexandre. “What in the world do you think that is?”

Jack gives him a hiccup and a shrug, “Think I heard somewhere that they hug trees.” The two men look at each other for a minute and then laugh.

“Come on Jack,” Alexandre recovers himself first. “Back to the Inquisitive’s office! We gotta tell them Redbeard’s a Gatekeeper - then we can try another tavern.”

The pair update the search portfolio on Redbeard, then Jack finds them another inn in Hareth’s Folly. After enjoying its fare for awhile, Jack is fully inebriated and Alexandre is a fair ways from sober. Still, he is not ready to give up the search yet.

“So you suppose we should go look for some trees?” Alexandre jokes, setting both men to laughing heartily. “Notta many of those round here, unless ya wanna check out tha parks and such, or tha elves. Heard them elves and tree huggers go hand in hand…” Jack explains. The reasoning sounds good to Alexandre, and the pair take a trip to the predominantly elven district of Shae Lias in the late evening.

Their they find that two drunk and poorly dressed humans are not particularly welcome amidst the local residents. They find themselves shunned, and it eventually dawns on Alexandre that they aren’t going to get anywhere in the district, at least not tonight in the state they are in. Joking and laughing, the pair part ways to get some sleep.

Somehow Alexandre wakes with the dawn, though his head throbs uncomfortably. He vaguely recollects Jacks words about elves… and parks. Struggling into the same clothes as he wore yesterday and into his well-worn armor he hails down a skycoach bound for Sky’s Edge Park. Amidst its custodians he finally get’s some ‘Yes’ answers.

Yes Redbeard was there. Yes, he left for the Liralen. Yes, Redbeard got a note from a House Tharashyk Inquisitor late last night.

Alexandre grins – his man is in! He’s willing to bet he’s found his man before the others have found their crew members.

Remove ads