Adventure in the Open Skies: The Liralen Irregulars (Eberron, Updated 5/10)

Krafus

First Post
Thanks for the answer, tmaaas. I for one wouldn't mind seeing adventures come my way in exchange for the sheer coolness of being aboard an airship. Still, if I may make a suggestion about the railroading part: when the PCs get higher in levels, maybe you could have the captain propose to them several tasks when they arrive at a particular destination, and they pick one or two. That way they'll feel they have a choice.

Of course, the tasks they undertake, and those they don't, would have an influence later on the campaign... Like, say that minor bandit chief they decided not to go after several levels ago has become a big-time crime lord whose operations threaten the PCs' or their employers' interests.

Oh, and what is the total crew complement for the Liralen?

Last edited:

dravot

First Post
Are youse guys running the Eberron adventures (SoLW, WotVB), or are you striking directly into uncharted territory?

Micah

First Post
I struggled a bit with how heavy of a crew the airship should have. A naval sailing ship would be many times this. But the airship has no rigging or sails - and thus a much lighter crew. Asterisks indicate known dragonmarks. The turqouis entries are the PC's

Currently the Crew (29)

1. ***Ravien d’ Lyrandar
2. Captain D’meryl
3. 1st Mate (officer) Aloysius
4. **2nd Mate – Pilot/Navigator (officer) Wydeth d’Lyrandar
5. *Midshipman A (Quad) Travyl d’Lyrandar
6. *Midshipman B (Quad) Krynson d’Lyrandar
7. Captain of the Guard (Quad) Adjutant Tagotah
8. Chief Steward (Quad) Sunther Chande
9. Bo’sun – Fendrik (bo’sun)
10. Cabin Boy – Errol (Crew 8)
11. Cook – Meat (cook)
12. Undercook – Fortunato (cook)
13. Scullery A (Crew 8) Cynde d’Lyrandar
14. Deckhand A – Loki (Crew 7)
15. Deckhand B – Redbeard (Crew 8)
16. Deckhand C – Alexandre (Crew 7)
17. Steward – Dox (Crew 7)
18. Artificer (artificer) Levic
19. *Scribe (scribe) Oliver d’Sivis
20. **Healer (healer) Vijaya d’ Jorasco
21. Healer’s Apprentice (healer) Grelyn d’ Jorasco
22. Entertainer A – Ruel (Crew 7)
23. Entertainer B – Kashandi Navoestra (Crew 8)
24. Guard A – Audric (Crew 7/passenger)
25. Guard B – Elisa (Crew 7)
26. Guard C (Crew 8) Kyrjet d‘Lyrandar
27. Guard D (Crew 8) Tamblyn d’Lyrandar
28. *Griffin Rider A (griffon) Maddy Tregear
29. Griffin Rider B (griffon) Gemma d’Lyrandar

Krafus

First Post
Wow, that's a small crew, especially when one looks at the sheer size of the ship. I understand why it's so small, but still... The Lyrandars must be confident there will never be a sizeable boarding or takeover attempt.

dravot

First Post
Krafus said:
Wow, that's a small crew, especially when one looks at the sheer size of the ship. I understand why it's so small, but still... The Lyrandars must be confident there will never be a sizeable boarding or takeover attempt.

It would mostly depend on the size of previous attacks. Lyrandar wouldn't intentionally leave an airship undefended.

Micah

First Post
dravot said:
Are youse guys running the Eberron adventures (SoLW, WotVB), or are you striking directly into uncharted territory?

The first three game sessions were entirely ours. Additionally there was a bit of pbem to set-up a couple PC's backstories (Ruel and Audric in particular.)
We took a "break" and are running portions of the SoLW (Rose Quarry, hopefully followed by Whitehearth).

I seriously doubt that we'll use much from WotVB (maybe a setting), perhaps a Dungeon magazine adventure while in Sharn (considering Fallen Angel), then probably back to striking out on our own.

I am trying to put our game notes into the Dundjinni Adventure format. The dock fight is up on their forums here . I'm still not totally proficient with the software but hopefully will be learning more as I get further adventures entered in.

Last edited:

Micah

First Post
Krafus said:

Part of that is also due to game mechanics. My PC's already feel that they are drowning in a sea of NPC characters (There is also a passenger list to deal with). There are only so many names and occupations/political affiliations that one can keep track of in a game setting. Currently we have near 100 NPC's that the players have come in contact with between various backstories, passenger changes, etc. I'm not too upset with that, considering that we have had less than a half a dozen game sessions.

Also we really did want to emphasize the "heroic" nature of the PC's. It's easier (or at least more fun) to jimmy an air attack to "fit" the level of our PC's and thus keep the flavor than it would be to have the PC's lost in a mass of defenders. At least at low levels. Once they get higher up I'd be more comfortable with a larger crew. Then the PC's will stand out more as the leaders.

Last edited:

Micah

First Post
Ship Level 9

This level is very low, around 3.5 feet tall, but it does serve as Hold 3 - mostly ship wares or small barrels that can be rolled into place.

The floor of the terrarium is the observation deck on the lowest level of the ship.

And soon PhoenixAsh will be back to spice up all of this dry cartography with an honest to goodness update. :)

Attachments

• Level 09.jpg
    Level 09.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 214

Remove ads