[Adventure] Kingmaker (DM:renau1g; judge: garyh)

Shayuri

First Post
Startled beyond measure, Arcata shrieks and leaps forward, away from the tree! She lands awkwardly though and tumbles to the ground trying to ward off the tree with her staff at the same time that she gets back to her feet, and accomplishing neither. Happily this only goes on for a few seconds before Arcata's rational brain catches up with her adrenalin-charged reflexes and reports that the talking tree does not appear to be threatening.

Warily she pulls herself up to her feet, squinting at the arboreal menace.

"Wh...who are you?" she asks. "What are you?"

In the back of her mind distant memories of classes taken whispered, and she perked up.

"Are you a treant?"

(OOC - Not at all, that worked very well!)

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Seams in the bark creak into a smile. "No, mortal. I am not a treant. I am merely a woad - a defaccumulationender of the forest. But long ago I failed at my task, and my forest died. Now I wander, seeking another." He makes a sweeping turn, branches indicating the land around him "Once there was an island in this sea that was a great home of plants and forests - nearly a piece of Arcadia in the mortal world. It was even called The Living Isle. I heard that it had vanished, so I came to see for myself - and it is true, it is gone, replaced by... this." He looks around in distaste.

"So I wish to find out why. What happened to the island that was here? And does this new land have its own forests to defend? Is this a disaster, or merely a new season?"

As he speaks, one of Ironheart's limbs strokes his axe meditatively. Suddenly he closes his eyes in pain, and when he opens them again their colour has changed - now they glow a faint purple. A moment later the red runes on the rod in his chest deepen to purple as well.

Ironheart speaks again, seeming not to notice the change. "And what of you, mortal? Is this your homeland? What can you tell me about it?"

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
[MENTION=48762]Leif[/MENTION]: Wait, I thought Arcata was alone, and Faustus was with everyone else heading back to the trading post? I think Arcata and Ironheart are getting acquainted, and then we will both meet the rest of you.
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata frowned slightly at the strange changes in the tree-man, though it didn't seem to become more hostile or aggressive as a result of them. Still, a note of wariness entered her tone as she replied, "Well, it's sort of my homeland. I didn't have to cross a sea to get here from where I was born. Even so, it's a long journey away."

She sighed. "I'm not sure what to tell you about it. It's a land like any land, I imagine. There are forests, yes...trees aplenty. You'll find them farther inland, away from the ocean a bit. Mountains and rivers. Fields and meadows. Cities, castles..." Arcata shrugged.

"You came here via ship, I saw. How far? The ship flew colors I haven't seen before. Are you truly from across the sea?"

JoeNotCharles

First Post
"I am from far, far beyond the sea," Ironheart rumbles. "That ship carried me only the last and smallest part of the way. My home is beyond the blue horizon, beyond the curve of the land, beyond the foam of the sea." His voice swells as he throws his limbs wide. "It is the green and vibrant world beyond the world, where life flowers in all her forms! It is the great arena, where the most cunning predators battle the swiftest prey, where all are forged in nature's crucible and made strong by constant conflict! It is the land of the most golden sun, the most silver moon, the deepest green and most brilliant purple flowers, the whitest teeth and the reddest claw..." He winds down and gazes off into the distance for a moment, then shakes himself, leaves rustling. "But I've left that far behind. I'm here now, and I must learn about this land. What is its name? Who rules here?"

Shayuri

First Post
The Feywild, Arcata thought. It has to be. This is a creature of magic. Not that a talking, walking tree could be much else.

"We're far from civilized lands here," she told the 'woad.' "While this is all technically claimed by the Swordlords, their law doesn't extend this far out. In fact, that's why I'm here. It came to me that they were looking for people to clear the wilderness, establish domains and become the new lords of these lands, under their law. Such an opportunity does not come often for common folk like me."

She nearly spat the word 'common,' as if if was a personal affront. Then, with a deep breath she pointed down the beach.

"The directions I have are to a small trading post where I can learn more, and find equipment and supply. You're welcome to come with me if you like. They would know more about the local goings-on than I. This is my first time here as well."

JoeNotCharles

First Post
The faintest of nigh-invisible shudders causes Ironheart's leaves to tremble at the words, "clearing the wilderness". But no hint of discomfort reaches his voice:"A good plan. I will defend you as you deal with these traders, and you can share with me your knowledge of this land... and these 'Swordlords'." He pivots, shoulders his axe, and begins marching down the beach.

Remove ads