Adventure: Love Bites

covaithe

Explorer
Mikara drops back into the shadows as you make your way quickly southwards out of town, following Dungwringer's directions. On several occasions, Tristan and Kathalia spot fleeting shadows disappearing down side streets, prompting an increase in vigilance. But each time, nothing further happens, and you move on instead.

The sky to the east begins to lighten as you leave Daunton proper, and by the time you're two miles out of the city, the pre-dawn glow is plenty for even human vision to spot the low hill crowned by oak trees to the southeast. You pass that hill and begin making your way around the eastern edge of the rocky area. It is only gently sloped, and there is very little vegetation in the stony soil, so visibility is good.

Despite the visibility, you see no signs of habitation on the eastern side of the lake. Not only is there no hut, but there is no sign at all that there ever was one: no discoloration of the rocky soil, no bits of wood or glass or the inevitable garbage that accumulates in the presence of normal civilized homes, let alone that of an alchemist.

After searching the entire east side of the dry lake bed, you are forced to conclude that either you completely misunderstood Dungwringer's instructions, or his information was bad. No sooner have you reached that conclusion, however, when Kathalia catches an odd scent on the wind, and looks toward the sunrise with an exclamation.

There is no mistaking that particular outline against the morning skyline: the leathery gray wings, flapping with majestic power; the long, sharp teeth protruding from oversized reptilian jaws; the terrible claws, already flexing in anticipation. It's a dragon. It's headed right for you, and there is nowhere to hide.

[sblock=ooc]Go ahead and roll initiative yourselves along with your first round action. Its action in the first round will be a double move that will leave it 16 squares away from where you're currently standing. I'll get a map up, hopefully sometime this weekend, but it won't be terribly exciting. It's pretty featureless terrain, for a change.
[/sblock]

Atriden

First Post
Atreus takes one look at the Dragon and then turns to eye the group suspiciously, especially Woe and Hacker " Why do I get the feeling that not everything went smoothly at Dungwringer's "

Turning back, to face the dragon, he grabs his repeating crossbow and takes aim.
"We might want to exchange certain words with Dungwringer... after this, along with the right amount of him screaming for forgiveness "

[sblock=Actions]
Initiative: 24
Free Action: Shroud Dragon
Minor Action:pulls his repeating Crossbow forth
Standard: Ready to shoot dragon when it is in range. Hits AC 13 ... hits nothing I am guessing ;)
Move Action: Moves behind Woe
[/sblock]

Dunamin

First Post
"We might want to exchange certain words with Dungwringer..."
“Probably. I guess Kath might get her juggling show after all - vases, limbs, whatever comes to mind.”

“Dragons, flagons... We found someone interesting out here to play with in the end. Even if somewhat less wizened old fart than expected.”

Woe switches his spear for one better weighted for throwing. He puts a thumb in his mouth and holds it in the air (the glove being partially torn apart), and closes his eyes in an overdramatic display of telling wind direction.

“Heeere boy! Come and play fetch!”

When the dragon continues its assault, Woe lets the javelin fly at incredible range. It glides smoothly through the air, curving at an angle to slip past scales and strike true into the dragon’s shoulder. At the end of the javelin is tied a note saying:

“If you’re reading this, you’re not drunk enough.”

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: Sheathe spear.
Move: Draw javelin.
Standard: Ready to throw when dragon is in range. Woe hits AC 23 for 7 damage (with long range taken into account). As always, marking unless otherwise noted.

Even if the general terrain is sparse, we probably should draw towards areas that can provide relatively more cover. And avoid clustering up.

What colour is the dragon? Anything distinguishing its species?

Woe Chinua - Human Fighter 3
Passive Perception 12, Passive Insight 12
AC 20, Fort 19, Reflex 17, Will 14
HP 46/46, Bloodied 23, Surge Value 11, Surges 10/11
Speed 5, Initiative +3
Action Points: 1, Second Wind
Powers: Cleave, Knockdown Assault, Tide of Iron; Pass Forward; Spear of Myrdroon's Shard, Heavy Throwing Shield;
Passing Attack, Rain of Blows;
Comeback Strike, Inspiring Word; Spear of Myrdroon's Shard, Heavy Throwing Shield
[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
The dragon is gray.

[sblock=Nature DC 5]It has teeth!

[sblock=DC 10]And claws!

[sblock=DC 15]Its tail looks pretty fierce, too, lashing back and forth like that

[sblock=DC 20]There are some nasty-looking greenish stains about its teeth and claws. Probably don't want to get that on you, whatever it is. [/sblock]
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
"Hacker! Look! A pretty dragon!" Kathalia exclaims.

Her eyes widen as it draws closer. "Oh. Looks like it's a naughty kind of dragon. My mother always told me to keep my bow close at hand for times like this." Kathalia calmly takes out her bow and lets an arrow fly - it lands with a thud far away from the beast (ranged basic natural 2). "Of course, it helps to have good aim," she adds, giggling.

Kathalia darts several paces behind Woe (at least four squares from Woe and if possible four squares from Atriden as well - I'm hoping it isn't too metagamey to avoid bunching - I assume it would be common knowledge that dragons have breath attacks).

nerdytenor

First Post
// Forgot to roll initiative - Initiative 6 - that would be a natural 1

[sblock=Kathalia Stat Block]
Kathalia, Elf Druid 3
Passive Perception 22, Passive Insight 15
AC 19, Fort 14, Reflex 17, Will 17
HP 36/36 Bloodied 18, Surge Value 9, Surges 7/9
Speed 8, Initiative +5
Action Points: 1

Current Effects
elf form

Encounter Resources
Darting Bite
Predator's Flurry
Elven Accuracy (+ feat)
Screaming Hide Armor
Second Wind
Use Action Point

Daily Resources
Healing Word
Amulet of Resolution
Fleet Persuit
USED Fires of Life
[/sblock]

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
//At least Kathalia's in good company. Hacker rolled a Natural 1, too. Initiative: 1d20+2=3//

Hacker nods at Kathalia's exclamation. "Yes. Yes it is...a...dragon."

With trembling hands, he lights a cigarette and sucks hard, as if drawing in the smoke would provide a zen-like calm. "With a hoard."

The cigarette gone in a single puff, he lights another. "Of magical stuff."

"WE'VE GOT TO KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT!" he screams almost hysterically.

In a terrible rush, fumbling equipment, Hacker draws his shortbow and fires an arrow. "Die, *******! DIE!"

The arrow misses. //Attack Roll: 1d20+4=16//

"*****! ******! ***************! *******!"

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
"Lovely. I don't think it's the kind of dragon that is going to want to run away, either."

Tristan draws out his sword, unlike his companions, then points at the dragon with his left hand. "Ah well. Dayna's on my side, which is bad news for you."

With that, a silvery bolt of energy flies from his outstretched hand toward the dragon.
[sblock=OOC]Initiative: 1d20+5=9
Nature: 1d20+7=26
Does that give me anything extra about the dragon? :D

Minor: draw fullblade.

Move: Oath of Enmity on the dragon, if possible. (Close burst 10)

Standard: Radiant Vengeance vs. the dragon if/when it's in range 10: 1d20+5=19 vs. Ref, 1d8+4=10 radiant damage. On a hit, Tristan gains 4 temp hp.
If I did put my oath on the dragon and it hit, I can shift 5 squares closer to it. I think I'll wait until we have a map and I can see where everyone is before I decide whether to take that, though.[/sblock]
[sblock=Tristan stats]Tristan Moonblade - Male Elf Avenger (Dayna) 2
Passive Perception: 22, Passive Insight: 15; Low-light vision
AC:19*, Fort:15, Reflex:17, Will:17 -- Speed:7
HP:32/34, Bloodied:17, Surge Value:8, Surges Left:8/9
+2 item bonus to saves vs. poison keyword, weakened, slowed, immobilized.
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: available
Powers
Bond of Pursuit
Radiant Vengeance

Angelic Alacrity
Avenger's Resolve
Channel Divinity
Elven Accuracy
Oath of Enmity

Oath of the Final Duel
Luckblade

Group Awareness: All non-elf allies within 5 squares of Tristan gain a +1 bonus to Perception.
+2 item bonus to AC vs. first attack on me each encounter
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
...Even if somewhat less wizened old fart than expected.”
Mikara shows up a few yards from Woe and laughs with him, "It's not the farts you have to worry about, unless I've been looking at these things from the wrong end all this time."
[sblock=OOC]Oh goody-goody. My first L4W dragon. Thanks Cov :D! I think :erm:.[/sblock]
The dragon is gray.[sblock=Nature DC 5]It has teeth![sblock=DC 10]And claws![sblock=DC 15]Its tail looks pretty fierce, too, lashing back and forth like that[sblock=DC 20]There are some nasty-looking greenish stains about its teeth and claws. Probably don't want to get that on you, whatever it is. [/sblock]
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]Mikara has a passive 21 Nature, so I figure she knows this kind of stuff.[/sblock]Mikara moves to the front of the group and draws her bow back, nocked with two arrows.[sblock=Actions]
Initiative: 1d20+6=21 (Forgot to add the mod during the roll)
Move: to the front of the party
Minor: HQ the dragon
Standard: Ready Twin Strike 1d20+10=20;1d20+10=19;1d10+1=3;1d10+1=4;1d8=4

Well, at least I depleted IC of its store in low rolls?[/sblock]

Remove ads