[Adventure] Madness at Gardmore Abbey

Son of Meepo

First Post
As you approach the gates to the keep, it is not as enormous an estate that you might have expected from a distance, the fact that it is crammed into a nook in the hillside obfuscates its size, but it is clear that size was sacrificed for defensibility. There is only one way to access the keep, the wide open road upon which you are traveling, completely devoid of concealing features. As you approach, several dozen guards, weary of your arms and lack of identifying markings, point loaded crossbows in your direction, especially at those who carry identifiable implements that would likely be used for spell-casting. All the men on the walls are dressed in identical armor and carrying identical weapons, except for a single middle-aged man that wears a crested helm and a tabard displaying the Oakley coat of arms. He speaks as you approach within 60 feet of the gate, the acoustics of the hills allowing his voice to carry far.

"Come no closer and identify yourself!"

You get the sense at a single word from this man would send a cloud of crossbow bolts your way.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Be at ease, guards,"

The sorcerer steps forward, keeping his free hand visible and tapping his staff in front of him.

"We're here at behest of the Mayor Brunt of Daunton, carrying a package for Lady Oakley. My name is Illarion Merielle. The area around is rumored to be troubled by orcs therefore The Mayor hired adventurers to deliver the package. May we approach?"

OOC: diplomacy +13, bluff +15, intimidate +13 if needed

Son of Meepo

First Post
"Show me what it is you have come to deliver."

GM: If you are honest with the captain of the guard and display the package, you can make a Diplomacy check.

If you decide to lie about the contents or make an excuse about why you can't show him, make a Bluff check.

You have a feeling Intimidate won't go over well, the party is outnumbered at least 10 to 1.

The DC of any check will be based on how good your story is.

Dekana

Explorer
Eva whispers to her companions, "What's with that guy? It's totally rude to look at someone else's mail."

OOC: Eva's best social skill is intimidate, so I'll let Illarion do the talking. But I think we should refuse to open the package for a petty guard.

Last edited:

Son of Meepo

First Post
"And YOU will understand that I can't just have a bunch of strange fellows wandering into the keep with a package that has not been checked out first. How do I know it won't erupt into flames the second you bring it into milady's presence?"

GM: The captain is level 8. Not showing the contents of the package has set the DC at hard (24). You either need to give him more of a reason to trust you, reducing the DC to moderate (16) or you need to get 4 successful assists (the maximum number of assists that can be attempted) without any failures. Otherwise, you'll have to revise your tactics and try bluffing instead, which will likely be harder due to the failed Diplomacy.

pathfinderq1

First Post
OOC: More of a post coming later, but don't forget all allies get a +2 bonus to Diplomacy or Intimidate from Joy's ardent mantle (and also from Merri, I believe, but they don't stack. Should make any Aid another rolls easier too.

Young monk steps up to the sorcerer.

"Good sir, we do not feel it's our place to open the package from one important person to another. It is small and your mage can examine the package and you yourself will probably be given leave by the lady to open it. You have us at disadvantage here and surely you can send the Lady a runner so she can judge the package or give us leave to open it."

Diplomacy aid another (1d20+2+2=21) - success

Remove ads