• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure Modules, Publishing and Profit

SweetRein

First Post
I am curious as to the profitability of publishing, both via paper and pdf, adventure modules.
From my gathered research, and especially with the massive system divides, it just does not seem like something that is being tackled by the larger companies much anymore. I'm seeking some first hand information about the actual reasons why rather than just speculation.

Currently, the only information I could find on the subject as related to more recent events comes from Goodman Games here.

Does anyone else happen to have any other information, by chance?
Thank you.

Stormonu

Legend
I do some self-publishing on RPGDriveThruStuff. Cost is definitely the primary factor. It takes a decent investment to put together and promote game material, and its very hard to predict how well it will do. Adventures are really iffy - you have to hit on the right theme and present just the right challenges to get people to even look at what you're trying to sell. If the storyline doesn't match the game you're running or doesn't feel like its something the buyer could have "thought up themselves", the adventure won't be bought. If the adventure isn't challenging enough or it's too difficult, people won't buy any more adventures from you.

It's far easier to just present the frameworks - books of monsters, races, classes and other plug-in tools. About the only thing that sells worse than adventures are campaign worlds.

P.S.: I have come to realize that (illustrated) monster books are the worst at getting a good return on your investment.

SweetRein

First Post
Thank you so far for the information. Is there any, perhaps, good news on the subject as well? I am trying to look for any beacon of hope. Of course, any news what-so-ever, bad or not, is helpful.

P.S.: I have come to realize that (illustrated) monster books are the worst at getting a good return on your investment.

I would assume this is based on illustration cost. Or, are there any other factors I'm not considering?

Stormonu

Legend
I would assume this is based on illustration cost. Or, are there any other factors I'm not considering?

Yep, illustrations will do it. I did a monster book with over 300 monsters in it, with illustrations for just about every one. Luckily, I did over half the pics myself, but even with a freelance, novice artist I paid over a $1,000 for the pictures I still needed. Unfortunately, the book hasn't made much more than $200, and its a 3E book...

There is a good side to this though, I think. With PDFs, the product is always available so over the long haul you just keep making money with sales. If you can make enough in the initial month or two, you can continue to make a small profit as folks discover your works later on. Given time, I might recoup all that money I sank into my first book, but I'm not holding my breath.

At this point in time, it seems that those PDFs that also have a print copy do best; most folks still like a physical copy and only a small group (a niche group of a niche group) are aware of PDFs and where to get them.

Thank you so far for the information. Is there any, perhaps, good news on the subject as well? I am trying to look for any beacon of hope. Of course, any news what-so-ever, bad or not, is helpful.
As with any creative business - write something awesome that people will want to tell their friends about, and it'll sell. Especially if you can capture in just a sentence or three what is awesome about it (ye olde elevator pitch, or in this case EN World front page). There's probably more variation between the sales of a great adventure and a sucky, uninspired adventure than there are between adventures in general and player splatbooks, for example.

So, my advice is - if you want to write and sell adventures, do it. Pour your heart into them and balance looking semi-professional with not spending a ton up front on your first product(s) and go from there.

Let business considerations guide how much you want to invest monetarily, but don't let it guide what products you want to write. Chasing "what sells" doesn't make great products as often as chasing what inspires you does.

SweetRein

First Post
Let business considerations guide how much you want to invest monetarily, but don't let it guide what products you want to write. Chasing "what sells" doesn't make great products as often as chasing what inspires you does.

Oh yes, I very much agree. However, the information I'm seeking out is due to the projects I'm working on being a multiple input affair, a collective of designers and editors who are trying to see a company name reach the light of day. Although we do not expect a "bang" of a performance, it's nice to have perspective.
Which is what I'm gathering information for. :)

Though thank you greatly for the warm hearted reply, it's a way to focus and when I deliver the information I'm gathering I will definitely try to share the same tone.

Remove ads