[Adventure] Murder Most Foul! Part 2 (Judge: EvolutionKB)

dimsdale

First Post
Knoepf clutches his holy symbol tightly as he slowly continues to walk towards the exit. Seeing his comrades gather around him comforts him. As he passes Garrick he whispers Bless you Garrick. I know this is risky, but I'm afraid it is he only way we can get information...if any...from Merrick.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
"You sure this is the place, I feel like in a schoolyard with that kind of joke." tells Malehan as they leave, not bothering to keep his voice low.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
As the group turns to leave, a hulking cloaked figure stands up from one of the tables. "Perhaps if you would have asked these people for assistance instead of commanding them to do what you wanted, or even if you would have bribed them, they would have been more receptive to your inquiries. It seems that you are as brash as your half orc friend. You shouldn't learn your manners from him. Being brash is an error. Something to consider for the future. I have noticed in my learnings that people respond better to honey cakes than to vinegar cider. Is that the right expression? Hmmm." a metallic voice says from the under the cloak. The group notices a warforged is under the cloak.

[sblock=half orc]
The only half orc that anyone knows about is Knoepf's companion Artemus that Knoepf has told the group about in detail.

Knoepf also mentioned something about meeting a warforged after his first fight with Merrick's men in the alley, but it was just a momentary conversation about the Warforged accusing the group of starting the fight and the group mostly ignored the Warforged and walked away.
[/sblock]

Come comrades, if not the coward Merrick, maybe someone smart enough to understand the situation around here might meet us later.

"Coward! Youse calling the boss a coward? Youse got a big mouth for such a little runt. Get 'em boys." the minotaur shouts. All of the thugs start reaching for weapons and moving towards the group.

"It appears that I was correct in my assessment." the warforged says.

[sblock=OOC]
Ok, I will be using Mal's encounter rules with the exception that if someone gets stunned or unconscious, then that PC automatically goes first within the PC group's initiative order (i.e. the stunned PC loses a turn automatically, or the unconscious PC has to make at least one death saving throw). Consider the incapacitated PC to be NPCed by the DM at the start of the PC's initiative. Most other effects are not debilitating enough to worry about it. I also will be rolling opportunity attacks by the PCs caused by NPC actions to save time.

Mal's Rules

Remember to add in your stat blocks and to also specify what your powers do (e.g. if a power gives a bonus to an ally, let us know what the bonus is, who the ally is, and when the bonus expires).

I just assigned a set of icons for the PCs. If you want to use a specific icon for your PC on the map, just send it to me. I'm also abbreviating PC and NPC names on the icons so as to take up less room and have less of the map image hidden.

Also, it is up to the PCs if they want to fight to the death or just knock foes unconscious.

Finally, PCs and NPCs do not have weapons or implements out in public. It takes a minor action to draw a weapon or implement, so make sure that you add this in to your list of actions on round one if you want to use such an item. PCs and NPCs also do not have shields equiped, so reflex and AC is lowered accordingly. I think Knoepf is the only PC that uses a shield, but it is not in his hand at the moment and it takes a standard action to equip it.

Terrain: The tables and chair squares are difficult terrain. To go horizontally or vertically through a round table is just difficult terrain. To go diagonally through a round table or to cross over a rectangular table is both difficult terrain, and a DC 15 Athletics or Acrobatics check. Failure means that the PC slips and falls prone in the starting square and that ends his move action. For example, going from square M9 to O9 is a check and if it fails, the PC is prone in M9 and the move action is finished. The tables also provide cover from ranged attacks for those standing within or adjacent to a table/chair square in the opposing direction (e.g. F13 has cover from I8, but I8 doesn't have cover from F13).

Vex 61/61
Hobgoblin 1 (Hob 1)
Hobgoblin 2 (Hob 2)
Hobgoblin 3 (Hob 3)
Hobgoblin 4 (Hob 4)
Minotaur 1 (Min 1)
Minotaur 2 (Min 2)
Gnoll 1 (Gno 1)
Gnoll 2 (Gno 2)
Warforged (War)
Patrons
Acre 56/56
Malehan 62/62
Garrick 57/57
Knoepf 50/50

It's Vex's turn. Then, the monsters go and then all PCs can go in posting order.

The area below the map is the rest of the tavern, but it's off screen.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Encounter 1a.jpg
    Encounter 1a.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Otakkun

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Oh sh%&, oh sh%&, oh sh%&!!

:deep breath:

Big fight aside, I really liked Mal's rules. I hope he doesn't mind me using them as well when I get my adventures approved.

Other than that, I must say only now I'm regretting not having taken that close burst swordmage's power. ;)

This is a crappy fight for a party with no controllers ... if anyone has any area attacks, please don't hesitate to use them as soon as you can.

Time to practice some fighting guys! [/sblock]

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
Vex turned to Garrick with a smile. "I rather hoped things might turn out like this," she quipped, her smile widening. In one motion, she swept her greatsword from its shoulder harness and stepped forward. She swung once, a downward diagonal cut that was a simple extension of her draw. With a smooth twist of her hips she stepped sideways and brought the heavy sword back through another arc.

[sblock= OOC]
>Minor= draw greatsword
>Move= shift to H7
>Standard= attack with Vault the fallen (Encounter); first attack against Mino 1, then shift to H8, then attack Mino 2; attacks are both against AC.
Rolls: Roll Lookup . 14 vs AC misses Mino 1 (natural 1), 29 vs. AC for Mino 2- if that hits, deals 17 damage [/sblock]

[sblock= Vex] Revekka Amalthea d’Deneith- Human hybrid Barbarian/Fighter 6
Initiative: +6, Passive Perception 19, Passive Insight 14
AC: 23 (or 22)/FORT: 21/REF: 16/WILL: 16; Resist 1 (all); Speed 5 (or 6)
HP: 61/61, Bloodied 30, Surge value: 15; Surges left 11/11
+5 to saving throws vs. Fear effects
Action points 1; Second Wind: not used
Swordbond (1 mile), Badge of the berserker

Powers:
Howling Strike
Howl of fury
Cleave
Vault the fallen (used)
Sweeping blow
Physician’s care
Macetail’s rage
Rain of steel
Boundless endurance

http://leb.wikia.com/wiki/LEB:PC:Vex_(pathfinderq1)

[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
"Perhaps if you would have asked these people for assistance instead of commanding them to do what you wanted, or even if you would have bribed them, they would have been more receptive to your inquiries. It seems that you are as brash as your half orc friend. You shouldn't learn your manners from him. Being brash is an error. Something to consider for the future. I have noticed in my learnings that people respond better to honey cakes than to vinegar cider. Is that the right expression? Hmmm."

Yes...it appears that my actions made them angry. However, we didn't have time for that type of banter as Ladoran becomes more powerful by the minute. Why can't they see that? We are trying to help them, not fight them! Well, too late for that. Are you in this fight too? If not, maybe you can say something to Merrick, as to avoid any further bloodshed? Until then, I must protect my comrades..so...if you will excuse me for a moment...

In a whirl the cleric turns and fires a bolt of sliver flame at the foe that Vex just hit. The bolt hits him square in the chest. Silver flame flickers across the foe's body and Vex feels invigorated.

[sblock=actions]
minor: none
movement: Move to L7
attack: sacred flame vs min2: Range 5: 1d20+12 vs reflex: 23 for 1d6+7 = 9
and vex gains 5 temp hp
[/sblock]

ooc: statblock up tomorrow

KarinsDad

Adventurer
[sblock=actions]
minor: none
movement: Move to L7
attack: sacred flame vs min2: Range 5: 1d20+12 vs reflex: 23 for 1d6+7 = 9
and vex gains 5 temp hp
[/sblock]

ooc: statblock up tomorrow

[sblock=OOC]
Just FYI.

Only Vex got to take actions. Then the monsters go, then all of the PCs go. I'll be posting what the monsters did in a few minutes. I suspect that since Knoepf is surrounded and Vex is seriously injured, that you might want to change your actions.
[/sblock]

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Hobgoblin 1 in the back moves up and then starts shouting out orders. "Alpha formation, take them down." The Minotaurs and Hobgoblins smother the team, shifting through their ranks. The party is a bit suprised at the speed and military precision of the thugs. The Hobgoblin then pulls out a heavy shield and straps it on.

Hobgoblin 2 pulls out two scimitars, missing Vex and then hitting Vex in the shoulder. It then shifts towards Garrick.

Hobgoblin 3 pulls out two scimitars and readies an action.

Hobgoblin 4 pulls out two scimitars, moves into flank on Vex, but then misses Vex twice.

Hobgoblin 3 attacks Vex twice, slamming her in the leg and in the thigh. It then shifts away to flank Garrick.

Minotaur 1 pulls out a heavy shield and straps it on. He then pulls out a wicked looking battle axe. "Youse not so funny now runty little man. It'll be fun chopping you up. Youse got nowhere to run on those tiny little legs." it says and laughs.

Minotaur 2 also pulls out a heavy shield and straps it on before pulling out an equally wicked looking battle axe.

Gnoll 1 pulls out a large bow and targets Vex. It appears that these thugs are more than thugs and have worked together before. It fires an arrow at Vex, but misses.

Gnoll 2 also pulls out a large bow. It, however, plants its arrow squarely in Vex's chest, causing her to cough up a little blood.

The warforged says "I stand witness. The human female attacked first." But, the warforged does nothing else.

The patrons do nothing yet, although the giants start hooting and clapping.

[sblock=OOC]
I just assigned a set of icons for the PCs. If you want to use a specific icon for your PC on the map, just send it to me. I'm also abbreviating PC and NPC names on the icons so as to take up less room and have less of the map image hidden.

Also, it is up to the PCs if they want to fight to the death or just knock foes unconscious.

PCs and NPCs do not have weapons or implements out in public. It takes a minor action to draw a weapon or implement, so make sure that you add this in to your list of actions on round one if you want to use such an item. PCs and NPCs also do not have shields equiped, so reflex and AC is lowered accordingly. I think Knoepf is the only PC that uses a shield, but it is not in his hand at the moment and it takes a standard action to equip it.

Terrain: The tables and chair squares are difficult terrain. To go horizontally or vertically through a round table is just difficult terrain. To go diagonally through a round table or to cross over a rectangular table is both difficult terrain, and a DC 15 Athletics or Acrobatics check. Failure means that the PC slips and falls prone in the starting square and that ends his move action. For example, going from square M9 to O9 is a check and if it fails, the PC is prone in M9 and the move action is finished. The tables also provide cover from ranged attacks for those standing within or adjacent to a table/chair square in the opposing direction (e.g. F13 has cover from I8, but I8 doesn't have cover from F13).

Hobgoblin 1 (scale, heavy shield, spear) commands Minotaur 1 to shift to J6, Minotaur 2 to shift to J8 and flank Knoepf, Hobgoblin 2 to shift to I9, Hobgoblin 3 to shift to G7 and flank Vex, and Hobgoblin 4 to shift to H9. It then puts on a heavy shield.

Hobgoblin 2 (leather and 2 scimitars) pulls out two scimitars and attacks Vex twice. It misses the first and hits Vex for 10 with the second. Hobgoblin 2 shifts to I8.

Hobgoblin 3 (leather and 2 scimitars) pulls out two scimitars and readies an action.

Hobgoblin 4 (leather and 2 scimitars) pulls out two scimitars and shifts to I9. It then attacks Vex twice, but misses with both.

Hobgoblin 3 hits Vex for 8 and 12, and then shifts to H6 to flank Garrick.

Minotaur 1 (scale, heavy shield, battleaxe) puts on a heavy shield.

Minotaur 2 (scale, heavy shield, battleaxe) puts on a heavy shield.

Gnoll 1 (leather and longbow) misses Vex.

Gnoll 2 (leather and longbow) hits Vex for 19.

Vex 12/61, bloodied
Hobgoblin 1 (Hob 1)
Hobgoblin 2 (Hob 2)
Hobgoblin 3 (Hob 3)
Hobgoblin 4 (Hob 4)
Minotaur 1 (Min 1)
Minotaur 2 (Min 2), 17
Gnoll 1 (Gno 1)
Gnoll 2 (Gno 2)
Warforged (War)
Patrons
Acre 56/56
Malehan 62/62
Garrick 57/57
Knoepf 50/50

It's the PC's turns.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Encounter 1b.jpg
    Encounter 1b.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 130

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Just FYI.

Only Vex got to take actions. Then the monsters go, then all of the PCs go. I'll be posting what the monsters did in a few minutes. I suspect that since Knoepf is surrounded and Vex is seriously injured, that you might want to change your actions.
[/sblock]

ooc: I'd like that. Thanks KD. Knoepf will definitely change his attack, but waits to see what other do first. Wow! Tense calm to dire in a matter of seconds.

Last edited:

Otakkun

Explorer
Interrupt: Gnoll 2's attack on Vex, Channeling Shield. Garrick reduces the damage taken by Vex by 10 & Garrick's next successful attack deals 5 extra damage.
[sblock=Actions]

Free:
Assassin Shroud Minotaur 2
Minor: Curse Minotaur 2
Move: Aegis of Shielding Minotaur 2
Standard: Eldritch Strike on Minotaur 2, curse & shroud damage. 1d20+13=20 vs AC, 1d8+6+2d6=14 damage.
Action Point: Frigid Blade on Minotaur 2 1d20+13=30 vs AC, 1d8+6=14 damage
Garrick also deals 5 extra damage on the first attack that hits (not added).
Garrick gains 2 temp hp.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Combat Stats]Garrick d'Orien, Human Warlock|Swordmage 6
Speaks in RoyalBlue
HP 57/57 Temp HP 2
Initiative +4
AC 23, Fort 19, Reflex 19, Will 17
AP 0, Surges 11/11
Diabolic Grasp [ ]
Channeling Shield [X]
Dimensional Vortex [ ]
Fey Switch [ ]
Vestige of Baatar [ ]
Frost Backlash [ ]

Special
+2 item bonus to all defenses against enemies under his warlock curse.
+2 temp HP every time Garrick hits with an arcane power an enemy marked by him.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads