• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure Paths Question

Talysian

Explorer
I'm considering running one of the pathfinder adventure paths, and I was wondering which one has the least amount of dungeon crawl, and tends to heavier rp focus. (if any)

Kvantum

First Post
Kingmaker. It's about founding your own country. Tons of NPC interaction and only a couple of dungeons of any real size, especially if you omit the final chapter altogether.

mxyzplk

Explorer
Agreed; also Curse of the Crimson Throne is very RP-heavy with loads of city adventuring and some wilderness too; Chapter 5 is the one megadungeon.

I'm running a Kingmaker campaign at the moment and can fully recommend it for what you are looking for: any dungeon areas or dungeon vignettes as it were tend to be smaller six room affairs. There's a couple of more extensive dungeon areas in latter books but on the whole, you should be sweet.

I suggest you also listen to episodes 8 and 12 of the pathfinder podcast here for more in depth information on the first two books out of six. In fact, listen to their podcasts regardless as they are the best on the net in my opinion.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Steel_Wind

Legend
Herremann exaggerates and is being overly kind :)

Kingmaker 1 and 2 are "dungeon lite", that's true. Not that there aren't any -- there are lots. Simply that the ones present are small of the 6 to 8 room variety. But all APs have some significant dungeons in them and Kingmaker does too. Some more than others, to be sure, but ALL APs have them.

If you are a relatively new GM? Then I would not recommend Kingmaker. Otherwise, that should be fine for you.

For roleplaying focus, the gem of Paizo's entire Pathfinder AP line -- and the best overall AP module yet released in my opinion -- is Richard Pett's The Six-Fold Trial. That's Vol II of the Council of Thieves AP for Pathfinder RPG. The Six Fold Trial has a relatively large dungeon in it -- but it has *lots* of RP too. A perfect balance that eluded both Paizo and Richard in the Age of Worms AP instalment for 3.5, The Prince of Redhand. This module was their second at-bat to hit that perfect blend -- and this time, they nailed it.

For all that, I am extremely keen on Carrion Crown which should be released to subscribers in under 2 weeks. Listen to Episode #014 of the Podcast for more on Michael Kortes' Carrion Crown 1: The Haunting of Harrowstone.

Up next on Episode 013:

The Companion

Intro & Mail

Character Concept Workshop:
The Black Knight! While not PFS legal, this is an exceptionally cool build aimed at GMs for NPC use... or for those PCs who care to take a ride on the dark side.

Companion Interview

Monte Cook - AWESOME interview with Monte on the industry, where it's been and where it's going and what Monte has been up to.

Deck of Many Things

We look at -- and evaluate -- software for Pathfinder RPG.

Herolab - We interview Colen McAlister- Lead Developer of Herolab at Lone Wolf Development; and
d20Pro - We interview Mat Morton (Lead Developer) and Nick Bevilacqua (Director of Business Develpoment) at MindGene, creators of d20Pro.

And on the Deck's roundtable, the podcast hosts' impressions of both Herolab and d20Pro -- where the rubber meets the road.

The Chronicle

Chronicle Interview

Monte Cook
discusses Curse of the Riven Sky.

Review

Curse of the Riven Sky:
We Review Monte Cook's Curse of the Riven Sky, a 10th level stand-alone adventure for Pathfinder RPG

ETA:
Either this Sunday night or next. At this rate, Feb 27th seems most likely. With the extra interviews, this is a very LONG episode; probably our longest yet.

Format Change: By popular demand, we expect to be releasing episode #013 of the podcast in Chapter Bookmarked .AAC format. We will also provide a link to the older .mp3 format of the cast directly on our forums for those listeners whose .mp3 players do not support the .AAC format. If you have any doubts as to whether or not your desktop supports AAC? It does. Only a handful of older (and very cheap) mp3 players don't support AAC. All iPods, the Zune, iRiver, most Sandisk and all smart phones support AAC.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
Kingmaker 1 and 2 are "dungeon lite", that's true. Not that there aren't any -- there are lots. Simply that the ones present are small of the 6 to 8 room variety.
Interesting, that's precisely how I prefer my dungeons!

This is the first thing about Kingmaker I've been reading that I actually like, since I don't care about 'sandboxes'!

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

Kingmaker is extremely customizable. Most of what is in it is general guidelines. You can run with it as you wish. Lots of options for the PCs.

Excellent mix of battle and RPing. One of the best adventure paths I've ever ready.

Now I'm playing in Rise of the Runelords. That one is a blast too. Most awesome haunted house I've ever seen in a tabletop RPG. Great story too.

You really can't go too wrong with any Paizo adventure path I've read to date. They all have excellent material for any DM to run as is or modify into a flavor they like.

I'll probably end up running every adventure path Paizo has they are so good. I'm looking forward to Carrion Crown next.

Talysian

Explorer
Thanks All, I'm currently playing curse of the Crimson Throne, and Running War of the Burning Sky Using Fate, and was looking for something to convert over next using Fantasy Fate, as my group tends to prefer that to d20. (I like both personally ;))

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads