(Adventure) Rivenblight's Castaway [Creamsteak judging]

Sparky

So many wonderful distracting events happened since Ioleta was posed with questions. A beautiful leaf, an alley cat, a beggar child to entertain with sleights of hand. And the guardhouse. As the group draws near Ioleta considers it closely. Still the same... large rough stones below, tight planking above... good for scaling, but those windows... too narrow and grillwork besides. But upstairs... the records... one day... She sighs and smiles ruefully, casting her eyes down, the picture of humility. She starts, ever so slightly, as the group enters the guardhouse and she hesitates for a twinkling - masking it in adjusting her backpack, before entering with the others.

Once inside she studiously, and artfully, does not make eye contact with any of the guards, but you get the impression that she is missing nothing - not the slightest detail. She says nothing, seeming to prefer to let the more veteran folk do the talking. Ioleta's eyes widen as she sees the writ from Officer of the Watch, Vagan. Useful piece of paper, that. Could have saved me a lot of trouble. She turns her attention to the map... Me, I'd do my ambushing in that forest. Horses spooky, tighter quarters, no witnesses...

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
"Well, th' map looks 'bout right ta me." Troi says, leaning against a nearby wall. "It's a little less'n twenty miles to th' forest, an' then th' road goes through th' forest fer 'nother twenty er so. Dunno much more'n that, though, other'n that Rivenblight's that way, somewhere... never been there, so I dunno."

Guardsman
"Hilly, I seem to recall. Road's pretty flat, but that's cause it was made that way. There're small inns along the way, too. Nothin' inside the forest, and nothin' to compare to the Dragon, but they're there."

Troi nods. "It'd be real easy fer 'em ta set up an ambush, then. Flat road, hilly land with trees... it won't be easy ta get 'em all, if we lure 'em inta a trap. Might hafta track some of 'em down.. luckily I got some skill in that area." He smiles.

doghead

thotd
Jaan shifts a little to see if Velbrik or Ioleta has anything to add or ask.

If not, he is about to gather up the map, thank the Watchman and head back out into the street when a question occures to him. He looks back up at the Watchman.

"What can you tell us about the activities of the bandits in this forest area? How long have they been active? How often have they stuck? And how did they set about it?"

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
"Firstwe heard was 'bout three, four months ago." says the guardsman. "Lotsa little stuff between now and then. Mostly just pushing around peasants and merchants without more than one or two guards, that sorta thing. Big one just a few days ago, though. They caught the one guy carrying five hundred crowns worth of gems." The man shakes his head. "Probably hidden that stuff away right good, though. Or spent it. I woulda. Anyway, that's what got the merchants so huffy. They posted the reward after that."

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
"Hmm..." Troi muses, "yep, I was right. They were gettin' away with it, an' now they got uncautious. They'll prolly jump us if we present a temptin' 'nough target..."

He looks to the guardsman. "'Scuse me. Could you put out a recrutin' poster, er somethin'? Lookin' fer guards ta guard a rare an' valuable treasure recovered from th'... um... Monastery a St. Feragon, headin fer th' city a Rivenblight." He nods, smiling. "Keep th' applicants' names handy. We'll wanna look at 'em..."

He looks to the others. "I think that'll attract th' 'ttention we need ta lure 'em out. We'll need ta wait a few days fer th' word ta get out, but once it does... all we gotta do is head fer Rivenblight on that road," He points at the map, "an' th' bandits're as good as ours." He smiles.

doghead

thotd
Jaan still doesn't like the idea, but holds his tongue and nods non-commitaly. Wait till we hear what the merchants have to say. He will go with what everyone decides, but still hopes it will be some other course of action.

"Have the Watch or Milita been involved in this so far?" he asks the Watchman.

Last edited:

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
The guard shrugs at Troi's question. "You can do whatever you like." And then, partially continuing and partially as a reponse to Jaan's question, "The Captain doesn't want to use the manpower it would take to patrol that far out for that little, and into an ambush, no less. Like I said, these guys are small time." He shakes his head. "If merchants can't spring for a handful of guards, that's their problem." He grins. "'Course, I guess they pay you the big money to be a bit more direct, huh?"

ooc: you lot mind if we add one more? matthewbajda is hoping to hurry his character through approval and jump in. I don't mind if you don't.

WizWrm

First Post
Velbrik shrugs. "I suppose we could try that. Were you thinking of using real treasure of some sort, or just an empty wagon? Also consider that there may be other caravans heading out - we could look at one of those and see if we can get ourselves put as guards or some-such. That would probably be easier and faster, and the merchants sponsoring it would most likely agree to whatever we had planned for an ambush."

"We ought to see what else we can come up with, though. But we definitely need to speak with the merchants, first."

OOC: Well, there are already three people waiting for something to do in the Red Dragon Inn; if he hooked up with them they'd have enough for an adventure.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Jaan Saaresar

"I would agree with Velbrik. Joining an existing caravan would probably be easier and faster. But we should wait 'n see what they have to say."

ooc; Personally, no problems here. We could do with a spell caster. But I think WizWrm's observation is a good one.

Sparky

Ioleta watches the exchange between the more veteran folk, absorbing every word. She still seems guarded, but a smile flickers at points during the exchange. She tucks a lock of hair behind her reflexively, unnecessarily... ...short now, keep forgetting...

"I can see Troi's point. Luring them out would be a good idea... especially if they're slavering over some choice cargo. But wouldn't we have to wait some time," her hand flutters vaguely, "...who knows how long, before the seed of rumor reaches the bandit's ears?"

She purses her lips, lost in the planning, nervousness forgotten. "Let's go talk to the merchants. See what they have to say and then, if we feel like we have the time, we can have Officer... Vagan, was it? Paste up posters or put out the word for guards, or however it is he recruits?" Her eyes alight she looks from Velbrik to Jaan to Troi to the desk sergeant and snaps her eyes back to Troi, "Let's go, shall we?" She lifts her pack tucking her thumbs under the straps. Nothing to see here, easy... easy - would you look at that keyring? I could snag that in a twinkling... it's a wonder more folk don't escape...

Remove ads