(Adventure) The Haunted Halls of Stonepike

dpdx

Explorer
Rurik winks at Thurgan before announcing, "An' me, I'm fixin' ta go up, meself. My rope, after'n all. Cloakers ne'er tetched me, e'en after I dropt one o' 'em."

Rurik then proceeds to just do that. [Rurik will go up when everyone else is ready.]

Aranel

First Post
Still with a slightly dazed air about her, Aranel gave Thurgan a warm 'thank you' smile and eyed the hole in the ceiling again.
As though something just occured to her she grinned and turned to the guard captain. "Kind sir, thank you for your words, but if I were indeed a lady I would not be climbing around dark holes and getting into fights all the time. "She stood "Still, that's an elven view, there are likely quite a few others." Perhaps it was the Dwarven view? Dwarves did live underground. And as far as she knew from Rurik and Sturm, they liked fighting. Maybe their Ladies were expected to be the same?

She gave brief life to the thought of becoming an honourary dwarf after this, likely as some part of the reward and coughed to hide the snort of laughter.
While it woul certainly be an honour, she doubted she would ever qualify exactly.
Biting her lip to hide from grinning like a fool (Or more of one) Aranel stretched herself slightly and started for the rope. "Your not coming too Sturm?" She asked with all innocence, not at all implying he might be...oh...afraid of the dark or scared of hights or even tired.

"And you Sir Ishmael, will you be joining us upstairs?" Perhaps she should stop making it sound like a tea-party. Deciding that she'd said enough, Aranel once again began the climb.

((assuming that her shoulder was healed- thanks Keia))

Last edited:

nimisgod

LEW Judge
ooc: If Thurgan has any problems with his wand of CLW, then Sir Ishmael will be happy to spend charges for Aranel's healing.

"My thanks for thine invitation, milady." Sir Ishmael smiled a dwarven smile. T'was one that spoke of an eagerness to engage in righteous violence. "I shall join thee, since it appears that no one is in need of healing."

Last edited:

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
OoC:Sorry folks, unexpectedly away from the comp for a couple of days.

The 2 charges heal Aranel up fine.
It seems that the entire party wishes to ascend (auto-ing Sturm), so...

The Captain sees the sense of having the Heroes root out the lair, standing by as they get to work. A short time later, ropes are attached and the 5 members of the band have gained the cleft and crawl upwards through stench-filled rock to a hollowed out area big enough to allow them all to stand.
Thurgan and Rurik note that this must have been created recently, from the aforementioned quake no doubt. The area has several areas where gruesome bits of Dwarf lie, half eaten limbs and less recognizable parts. Discarded clothes, torn and destroyed, lie off to one side. Several suits of mail also lie about as well as belts containing daggers and a few short swords. Larger weapons are not present, as these were no doubt dropped (along with any shield) when the Cloakers attacked. A more thorough search may turn up other bits of interest...

Aranel

First Post
Horrified fascination led Aranel to pick up a belt with the end clearly chewed off. In fact it looked like it had been used as a chew-toy...
Mumbling to herself she pushed around a little more, looking for anything else that might be of interest or possibly worth something...

Once she'd accidentally picked up a severed hand thinking it was a glove and, (ashamed of the fact now), shrieked once realising what it was. Shuddering she'd wiped her hand on her breeches and had the decency to look embarrassed and ashamed of herself. "Sorry about that..." she mumbled.

((Search))

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Thurgan - Init: +2; AC: 18; HP: 29/29; Atk: W-axe +6 (1d10+2), X-bow +5 (1d8+1)

"Let's be certain there're no more beasties, too," Thurgan said looking around the fairly disgusting room. "Don' need no nest o' baby beasties just waitin' ta grow up an' eat more dwarves."

Thurgan kept an eye toward the ceiling looking for any signs of remaining creatures before helping the others to search the area thoroughly. He will search the walls and ceiling from other possible chambers as well.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
The Deep Halfling was horrified. This was the first time that he had ever had to enter the lair of a beast... and viewed the remnants of its unfortunate victims. It was a ghastly sight for him to behold, but he somehow managed to keep his composure. At least, he did so outwardly. Inside, he reeled at the sight.

When he recovered, a few minutes later, he mustered the courage to take a sweep of the place with his Divine Inquisition ability.

dpdx

Explorer
Rurik looks around the lair for any indication that any cloakers are still alive. [Presuming he finds none,] Rurik then studies the suits of mail, taking note of the crafting.

[Appraise +0]

"Captain, sir, you might wish to send people up in case you have interest in these remains for burial purposes. It appears safe at the moment." Rurik calls down the hole to the guard captain in Auld Dwarven.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
OoC: Having connecting problems (again). I will post an color=cyan] XP [/color] total tonight.

Thurgan and Sturm examine the walls and ceiling of the fissure, finding that there was indeed a deep cleft that led off and down into realms unknown. The Cloakers may have gained access to the Halls via this route. A dank smell, the smell of Deeps long unknown to Man and Dwarf eminated from the crack. The openng could be navigated with a bit of caution, however. Had the Cloakers come from this direction, they would have been forced to crawl at this, the end, however.

Sir Ishmael's Divine Inquisition detects no trace of anything Evil.
This brings troubling thoughts to the young Paladin's mind, however. All through this adventure, he had been unable of pinpointing these monsters with his Gift. Perhaps they had some form of screening magic. Perhaps they were not truly Evil as Ishmael knew it.They were definately not just hungry animals, that much was for sure.

Aranel recoils from the accident with the hand, shuddering. Something glinting off of a bit of lantern-light catches her interest,however. Leaning down, she finds her eyes drawn to an exquisite Ring upon the so recently dropped hand...

Rurik keeps his mind to the task, calling down to the Captain, who relays that he will send for the Mortician and his assistants to deal with the situation, sending up his thanks for the consideration. Rurik then sets his keen eye to examining the suit of armor, finding that it is strong and exquisite in construction <Master Worked>.

Thurgan continues his search of the chamber, finding more gruesome vestiges of the horror that the band had so recently stopped. Finally, among the gotre and set upon a small shelf, piles of coing and other discarded shiny onjects litter a shelf, perhaps discarded. or playthings to these monsters. None will ever know...

<Found aprox 200 GP worth of coins, mostly gold,with some sillver and 5 platinum among them. There are also 5 fire opals of perhaps 200GP value each>

Aranel

First Post
Aranel knew better than to look around like a guilty theif, grimancing she plucked the ring from the remains of the hand and wht was also likely an arm and looked to be poking about, she then stood up and slipped it in her pocket to be looked at later.

Wandering back over to the troubled looking Halfling she greeted him cautously, he seemed to act a lot like the law-men she knew and for that reason had shied away from him a lot. But a troubled face was never a good sign in a place like this.

"Is something the matter Sir Ishamel?" She asked him glancing to where he was looking in case it was dangerous. Seeing nothing there Aranel turned back to share his worry if he felt the need.

Remove ads