Adventure: The Lost Workshop (DM: Iron Sky, Judge: renau1g)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
The crew have managed to pull up the anchor and, though they aren't having much luck untying the mooring lines, the ropes are starting to fray and break, so the ship will probably be free soon. They've also begun to pull in the gang-plank.

[sblock=Lighting]It is mostly overcast, so without light-sources, it will be practically pitch-black, so no low-light. There are no immediately apparent lanterns, but you could make a perception check to search the ship more thoroughly...[/sblock]

Sanzuo

First Post
RAM TIGER rushes around the deck, snarling and snapping at the mysterious strangers on the ship, making sure they know their place. This is his boat now. He wanted to make sure they knew that. As a last step, he approaches the main mast and "claims" it in the best way he knows how. He then runs up to the top of the aft castle in front of the helm, sits on his haunches and surveys his domain.

[sblock=Internal Monologue]THEY BETTER NOT PISS IN MY SPOT! THIS IS MY SPOT!
________/
ramtiger.png

[/sblock]

Antithetist

First Post
The deva moves next to Kasha, whispering "Have you ever sailed before? These sailors don't look like the most competent crew, I am wary about trusting our welfare to them, I would feel more comfortable with one of us at the helm"

"No kidding," Kasha murmurs, looking closer at the crewmen. Seros sure seems to have a point. "Hells, what are they doing to those ropes..."

She raises her voice to address the rest of her companions, heedless of being overhead. "Anybody know how to sail a boat? 'Cos I'm not sure the crew does."

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
The masts begin to groan as a strong winds hit and the ship strains against the rapidly-fraying mooring lines. Suddenly, the ropes break and the ship is away, heading... straight into the harbor towards a massive merchant ship anchored in the bay.

Crew members have scattered all over, clumsily securing the anchor, stowing the gang-plank, dragging in whats left of the mooring lines, and scurrying up to adjust the sails.

There was no discernible response to either RAM TIGER's menacing growls, or Kasha's commentary from the crew. There is also no move to man the helm; it is loose, leaving the ship at the mercy of the wind and tides. If no one does anything, looks like the Nexal will be ramming the side of the merchantman in a couple minutes.

Antithetist

First Post
"What did I tell you?!"

Kasha makes a dash for the helm and grabs hold of the wheel, wrenching it around to steer clear of the merchant ship as best she can. "So, uh, sailing's pretty much in my blood," she calls out, "and, y'know, this seems like a breeze and all. But, hey, if anybody actually knows anything about boats, feel free to pitch in, any time you feel like it. Aaaaany time."

[sblock=OOC]I guess a skill check (or, at least one) of some kind is going to be needed? Not sure what kind though. Let me know if you want me to roll anything. [/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
[sblock=OOC]I'm pretty flexible when it comes to skill checks. Basically, whatever skill you can justify, you can use. So, you can pick what you think is an appropriate check.

Also, if you want to use any of your class powers, you can, just use the most appropriate skill instead of an attack roll. For example, if you are a martial character, you might use Athletics or Acrobatics, Arcane characters can use Arcana, Divine use Religion, etc.[/sblock]

Otakkun

Explorer
"What kind of sailors are you?" Asks and irate Shrakk, wondering what is happening on the ship.

"Who is in charge in here? I demand a word with the captain!"

[sblock=Wish List]
!!!Level 3: Vanguard Fullblade +1
!!Level 5: Bloodthread Cloth +1
!Level 2: Badge of the Berserker +1
[/sblock]

Antithetist

First Post
"I think I'm the Captain," Kasha laughs from the helm, even as she wrestles to get the wheel under control and get some kind of feel for how it adjusts the ship's heading.

[sblock=OOC]Athletics 1d20+8=17

I figure an Athletics check to get the thing under control makes sense, but my current knowledge of 4E rules is rather poor and my knowledge of sailing is -very- poor, so do let me know if I need to be making some other check. In 3.X this'd all be Wis-based, making Kasha a pretty damn poor choice to be helmsman, but I guess in 4E that's not so.

The ship does have a wheel rather than just a tiller, right? If not I can edit, obviously.

I don't think I understood what you said about class powers, Iron Sky. Skill checks instead of attack rolls? Could you clarify?[/sblock]

Otakkun

Explorer
"It does seem that way." replies the githzerai. "Is there anything I can do to help? I've got little to no experience working on a ship."

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Kasha spins the wheel so fast the ship lists heavily to the side, sending loose barrels, coils of rope, and the chest full of coins sliding towards the side. The ship passes within a few feet of the merchantman - close enough that the sailors at watch on the other ship's aft-castle shout and curse at you as you pass.

But then you level out in the open water, heading out to sea. Before long you leave the lights of Daunton behind and are left in utter pitch-blackness, unable to even see your hand in front of your face [unless you have darkvision, in which case you are fine].

The crew return to their tasks, scraping and bumping about in the darkness. They still haven't spoken a word, even in response to Shrakk's demand.

[sblock=Using your Powers]I figure, if you're capable of manifesting fire at-will, shooting lightning, leaping over ogres, moving things with your mind, or the like in combat, you probably have some capability to do similar things out-of-combat. So if we're out of combat and you want to do something you think your character should be capable of based on the class they are, make the skill check you think is most appropriate.

Example: In a skill challenge, a swordmage decides he wants to use his arcane powers to cut down a tree to bridge a chasm. Since his attack powers are arcane, he would make an Arcana check to see if he cuts down the tree successfully.

Example 2: A cleric character wants to blast apart a sealed door using his powers. Since his attack powers are divine, he would make a Religion check to see if he blows the door apart.

Make sense?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads