Adventure: Three Queens in Allaria (DM: BenBrown, Judge: Covaithe)

BenBrown

First Post
The bridge does not take long to fix, although it will probably take more work for it to hold in the long term. The oxen, while reluctant at first are eventually convinced that it's safe and solid and one by one pull their carts across. As the last of the carts clears the bridge, two armed women clad in light armor step out of the woods.

"Hey, look who it is." one says. "It's that sweet-talkin' hobgoblin slayer and his looming friend. Where's the handsome bridegroom?"

"Sorry we weren't at the bridge to meet you," the other says. "Those ants wouldn't go away. We scared off one bunch only to have another come up behind us. Looks like you saw to them, though. Anyway, come along. There's a cave up ahead where we can stow the carts." She puts two fingers in the corners of her mouth and blows a series of whistles. "Edgar will be bringing a bunch of folks to carry all this stuff. There's more than I'd thought. Isemene will like this. C'mon."

Mewness

First Post
The floating fish dissipates and Pharodeys returns to life. "We found one along the way," she says. "Perhaps she was seeking you out. But she is unconscious and we cannot revive her."

Tenchuu

First Post
"Lor' Malabee had some adda tings ta 'tend ta," Spider said, "But dis 'oblin-slayer has plenty a time fo da two a ya. Ya don neva see Lor' Malabee with handsome locks lika dis," motioning to his dreads.

"An maybe ya know somewon for I and I's frien," he said, putting an arm around Tyris. "he would be great fo won a ya shy friens. Ol' Tyrie ain't won ta kiss an tell, dis da tru."

VanderLegion

First Post
"Lor' Malabee had some adda tings ta 'tend ta," Spider said, "But dis 'oblin-slayer has plenty a time fo da two a ya. Ya don neva see Lor' Malabee with handsome locks lika dis," motioning to his dreads.

"An maybe ya know somewon for I and I's frien," he said, putting an arm around Tyris. "he would be great fo won a ya shy friens. Ol' Tyrie ain't won ta kiss an tell, dis da tru."
Tyris glares at Spider and shakes his head in exasperation as he slips out from under his arm.

BenBrown

First Post
The women chuckle as Tyris squirms away from Spider.

"Strong, silent type, eh? Well, let's get these carts under cover."

The cave they mentioned is not far off the road, and well-concealed. After moving the carts into it, they spend some time re-arranging the leaves to hide their passage. By then, others have arrived. A few stay with Sven and the drivers to guard the oxen, while the rest load up what gear they can from the supplies. When everybody is ready, they move out. The group moves east, skirting around the northern edge of the mountains, and into a group of lower hills to the east. In a well-hidden valley is Ismene's camp. It's well-kept but without many amenities. Ismene is there, along with the rest of her crew.

"Welcome," Ismene says. "Welcome back to you three. Hope the journey wasn't too hard. Heard you had some trouble with ants. They've been around more and more recently. Not sure what's up with them. Anyway, glad you're here. The supplies will help. And since you're here, we've got a lot going on and could really use the help if you're not planning to head back immediately."

She takes a seat on a tree stump, and motions to everyone to have a seat on nearby logs and rocks.

"I don't know what exactly Mallaby told you," she says, "but here's what we're going to do. We're gonna get civilized. I started ranging these woods after the village I came from got burned down in a Hzakan raid. Thais and I were the only survivors that I know of--at least the only ones not hauled off to be slaves somewhere. We lived as best we could, hunting and so forth. For the first year we did all right, but when winter came, we started...er, scavenging from the local villages. With only two of us, we did a lot less damage than the hobgoblins, and we were able to warn the locals of a couple of raiding parties coming through the area. I don't know if we did more good than harm or not. It seemed like we did at the time. But then we added some others. Carlotta was hunting on her own in the woods, met up with us and decided to stick with it. Then Dirk showed up, then Willa--Willa was with us for while, but she volunteered to play distraction to lure a pair of bugbears away from the rest of us. I hope she died quickly. Her body was pretty badly mauled. She managed to avoid slavery is about all I can say positive about that. Then others joined us. Some from villages that no longer exist, like mine. Some are orphans. Some might have been better off if they were. Edgar doesn't say where he's from at all. One or two showed up attracted by the reputation of our group. Those are the ones that really scare me."

She stops short.

"Sorry, didn't mean to tell you my life story. The point is, it's not just a few of us any more. Hunting isn't going to support us, and we're no longer a small group of romantic bandits to the villagers, but a threat. I'm no longer a free operator either. I've suddenly realized I've got responsibility. That's why I want to change things. I hear about this new republic down south of here, but they're not here yet. If we're going to keep the Hzakans at bay we're going to have to do it ourselves. I've called a peace conference. There are four villages right in this area. I've asked them each to send delegates. If we can organize, maybe we can keep the Hzakans out so that they don't want to come back. Maybe expand to more villages. Maybe... anything.

"So, since you're here, there's a bunch of stuff I could really use help with. If you want to help set up, that's great. You could also go meet one of the delegates that are coming. I've got responses from Doorna, Brugwal, and Achirem, so they're all sending people. I guess you could go to Sudney and see why they're not sending anyone. Or we can always run another sweep up north and east of here. Any of these sound like a good idea?"

Mewness

First Post
OOC: What happened to the unconscious woman? Did she recover?

Pharodeys does not sit, and listens impassively to Ismene's entire speech while standing perfectly still. "You heard nothing from Sudney at all?"

BenBrown

First Post
OOC: Whoops. She was still unconscious, so let's say she was left back with the wagons, unless anyone wants to have her carried along.

"Nothing from Sudney, Ismene says, "but I'm not surprised. They're the farthest from the Hzakans, and have no reason to like me."

Tenchuu

First Post
"I an I will do any a dis tings, ya just say da word. Do, I must say, da grea' sword I carry, dey call dis won 'oblin eata. An he gettin might 'ungry, ya 'ear?" Spider said.

Then, as an after though, he added. "Oh yea, dere was dis ting... on da road, I an I raninta dis ooman, she was jus strugglin 'long da road, eyes lookin dis whey an dat. An she stop righ in fron a da wagon, and she look right inta I an I's eyes, an she say: Ya no come nah furda, Ya no be tresspassin a da Queenlands."

"Or someting like dat. She said dem tings all creepy-like, den fall ta da groun, not wakin up. So, I an I brought her along, in case she was a frien a yas--ya da only Queen I an I know in dis parts."

BenBrown

First Post
Ismene shrugs. "No idea. I'll have a look at this woman and see if I know her. Anyway, if it's goblins you're after, you could make a sweep to the northeast. That's where they've always come from before. Be careful, though. You never know how many of them will hit you. If you want, I can find a guide for you."

Remove ads