D&D 5E Adventurer’s League Open Call for Tier 4 (lvl 17-20) designers.

darjr

I crit!
From the Adventures League group:

🎲 We're hosting an OPEN CALL for Tier 4 adventure designers! 🎲

The DDAL team is looking for short (500 words or less) submissions of a Tier 4 (level 17-20) adventure encounters set in the Forgotten Realms.

Submissions are due by 5pm EST on Friday, July 24th, and must follow the guidelines established in the Open Call post on our website:

Got questions? Let us know!

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Hmm ... how many Kobolds is that? Probably a lot. Gimme a sec. OK, so a median 9000 XP deadly T4 encounter. Kobolds are ... 1/8, ok. so divide 9000 by 1/8, carry the three, oops, not that far, and we need ... huh, yup, lotta Kobolds. OK, so it's a dark and dreary night, you and your stalwart companions are making your way carefully through an alley in the depths of the warehouse district. The night is deathly silent, and mist curls around the mouth of the alley ahead. The stench of garbage and worse hangs heavy in the air. All of a sudden, without warning, 360 Kobolds dart out of the shadows, knives raised and ready to strike. What do you do?

Edit: Tier 4 math is hard, the Kobold count started at 72 000.

Quickleaf

Legend
Is anyone familiar with how Adventurer's League handles adjusting encounters for parties that are "Weak, Very Weak, Strong, or Very Strong"?

Working on a contest entry, and I cannot find how they do this in any of the included documentation in the CCC Creation Pack (Adventure Design Concept Outline) or the CCC Creation Rules... nor in the AL DM Guide v9.1... nor in any of the official style guides from Wizards (including the Adventure Design Guide, IP Guide, House Style Guide, Forgotten Realms Style Guide).

Where can this information be found?

Snapshot of the AL CCC Submission document, with relevant comment clicked on to be visible... "Adjusting encounters uses the guidance in Chapter 5 of the DMG. There should also be a .pdf in the designer's pack outlining how this works."

Btw, Chapter 5 of the DMG is the chapter on Adventure Environments (random tables for dungeons, hazards, wilderness exploration, etc). Nothing on encounter building. Assuming it's a typo and they mean Chapter 3: Creating Adventures. But even then, there's no language about "Weak, Very Weak, Strong, or Very Strong" in Chapter 3.

LOznDaS.png

Attachments

• 1595363067763.png
    1595363067763.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 117

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Hmmm, lots of adventures include it in the adventure itself:
1595365675726.png

This is from Beneath the Bleeding Tree: CCC-GSP-FEAR01-01-Beneath-the-Bleeding-Tree-v10

Hope that helps?

Quickleaf

Legend
Hmmm, lots of adventures include it in the adventure itself:
View attachment 124043

This is from Beneath the Bleeding Tree: CCC-GSP-FEAR01-01-Beneath-the-Bleeding-Tree-v10

Hope that helps?
Thanks Eyes of Nine. That looks like a guideline for DMs running the adventure, right?

What I was asking was a guideline for writers. Say I'm writing a scenario adjustment for a "Weak" party. What assumptions do I make in order to come up with that adjustment?

Do I assume there are 3 character or 4 character? Or, if I go with there being 5 characters, then what level do I assume they are besides "APL less than"? See what I mean?

I asked on the AL subreddit, and someone essentially answered that it's done by feel. That there is no codification for adventure writers about what those designations (Very Weak, Weak, Strong, Very Strong) mean. For instance, some are changes to strategy or environmental elements, and might have nothing to do with the composition of monsters at all. However, they were not sure if that's still true of AL.

jasper

Rotten DM
All AL modules are geared for 5 pcs of x level. X being the same level. APL 3 module would be 5 pcs at level 3. Having to lots of experience adjust down or up in a hardcover, I do the following. Weak cut one or two monsters. Swap out a monster with a lower CR. Cut the hit pts. Strong add more of the same monster. Add more HP. Add one or more of a higher CR monsters. EX. CR monster is CR 1 add CR 1 1/2 monster.
Tier 4 modules are generally APL 18. That 5 pc each being 18th level. And it generally a balanced party.
Strategy changes. I seen Monsters attack with surprise (does not work alot due weapon of warning). Monster would forgo some abilities.

pogre

Legend
The deadline for this is tomorrow. If anyone develops a full adventure for this and needs a playtest group let me know. I am happy to sign a standard N.D.A. if it makes you more comfortable. My group has extensive playtest experience including D&D 4e, WFRP 2e, and many more.

Remove ads