• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventurer Conqueror King as a preview of D&D Next?

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
At Vaults of Nagoh, Chris Hogan has a post called ACKS Eats 5E's Lunch, Belches Heartily where he says it "basically does what WOTC wants to do with 5E: namely, nick the best elements from preceding editions of D&D and kludge them into one (hopefully) all-conquering whole." (Orion at the Moldy Vale seems to be expressing the same idea with his post Sorry D&DNext, I've found myself a new game.)

I can't be an objective judge of whether the Adventurer Conqueror King System (ACKS) actually achieves the design goals Chris lists in his review, and I haven't been following the news well enough to know if those are the same as D&D Next's goals. Is he just tripping?

JohnSnow

Hero
Two things:

1) This topic is shameless self-promotion of a product you're a co-creator of. If you expect to be taken seriously, you should have disclosed that in your topic.

2) It might help your cause if Orion could correctly identify the head of D&D product as MIKE (not Mark) Mearls in his rather hyperbolic comparison of WotC employees to the Soviet Union. Getting basic facts wrong makes you look like a tool.

I think the admins should move this topic to a different section. It certainly has nothing (really) to do with D&D Next.

Reported.

dkyle

First Post
While this bears the pungent aroma of an advertisement, I'll answer your question at face value:

The review mischaracterizes the stated design goals of 5E. 5E isn't about making a single ruleset that combines the "best of previous editions". It's about making a modularized ruleset that can be configured to produce many kinds of games, from Gygaxian D&D, to 3.5, to 4E. I have my doubts about the wisdom of such an ambitious goal, but it is their stated goal. Your game sounds like it's simply an OSR game (but that's just based on the substance of that review). Not a system where a 4E-style game would be possible.

gyor

Legend
Sorry, doesn't sound appealing to me as I lean more towards the 3x and 4e essentials style play with elements as such as specialty priests from 2e, but I wish you luck, I don't want WOTC to become a monopoly again.

Serendipity

Explorer
Wow. Literally in another window I was reading about Adventurer Conqueror King, to the point that I have another tab with the product up on Drive Thru rpg. I mention this because the pandering here gives me pause.
A lot of pause.
I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but it really looks bad. At least, check your facts next time.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Yeeaaaah. But to be fair, folks, Tav's sig and status disclose his involvement with ACK. It's not a secret.

I'll slide this over to General in any case, since it's not about 5e.

Last edited:

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
To use a phrase from another forum I frequent (non-game related) this post was:

nagl2.gif

I do not give the benefit of the doubt on this one. This was an obvious ad for their game, in my opinion, and it does not belong in this thread.

AND NINJA'D by Piratecat!

My two coppers

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads