• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventurers Aboard The Snapdragon: The Search for the Whispering Woodwind

Ziona

First Post
A new campaign, a new story hour!

This is my first attempt at DMing, so wish me luck (and bear with me!) ;)

The setting for the campaign is pretty general, nothing specific like FR or Greyhawk. (I didn't want to be bogged down with all the history and stuff for my first campaign).

For the adventure, I'm using a module by Creative Mountain Games called The Whispering Woodwind, which I actually heard about here on the boards.

Our first session begins tomorrow, but I have some backstory to setup, which should be posted before too long. Thanks for checking in, and stay tuned for...

Adventurers Aboard The Snapdragon: The Search for the Whispering Woodwind

Ziona

First Post
Skullduggery on Shore

Shadrach Blackthorn and the crew of Skullduggery had finally arrived in the bustling town of Pinevale. Blackthorn’s crew was pleased to be on land again, having barely gotten along with the new blood on the ship. The two new recruits didn’t seem all that dedicated to Blackthorn’s interests, and his crew supposed he would rid Skullduggery of their presence before leaving.

The truth was, Edan and Hoog only agreed to sailing with Blackthorn because they needed the gold. They had no interest in their employer’s cargo or his dealings on shore, and planned on leaving once paid. They had been aboard Skullduggery for weeks, and couldn’t be happier to see land, (unless of course Blackthorn paid them).

Digby, Blackthorn’s gnomish lackey, approached Edan and Hoog as they were collecting their things.

“Not so fast,” he said sourly. “Blackthorn needs the two of you to ‘secure’ his new possession.”

“Does he?” asked Edan. “Why don’t we secure our payment first?”

Digby looked at Edan with distain. The gnome was used to dealing with humans like Edan, but watched his tongue around him since he traveled with Hoog, a half-orc.

“You’ll get paid,” he said skittishly. “Blackthorn’ll see to it once you secure what’s his.”

Edan looked at Hoog, who grunted with annoyance.

“What’s his latest booty?” asked Edan.

“A ship,” said Digby. “He’s making his trade now at The Drunken Minstrel. He just needs you to make sure no one’s out to cheat him, is all.”

“Where is this ship?”

“It’s called The Snapdragon,” said Digby. “Make your way down the dock and you’ll find her. Just make sure there ain’t no interference or resistance when it comes time for the trade.”

“Easy enough,” said Edan with a grin.

“Just make sure Blackthorn is ready to pay us after that,” growled Hoog.

Digby nodded nervously at the half-orc and made his way off the ship and towards the tavern, mumbling under his breath.

“You’ll get paid, alright…Blackthorn’ll see to your payment.”

The Adventure Continues…

Last edited:

Dr Midnight

Explorer
HUZ to the ZAH!

[flick]
Oh, delightful! Soon we'll see some intrepid adventuring the likes of which has never been seen, all in the name of Yondalla, all for the glory of mother's cooking, and all by the brothers Stoutheart! I say, Cecil, I'm quite excited...
[/flick]

Ziona

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Looking foward to this!

Keep it going! Any character backstory, or do we have to wait?

Thanks for the encouragement!

What I'm posting & working on right now is really more of an intro than anything else. I'm hoping to introduce the characters somewhat and give a hint of the flavor of the campaign. I will try to work in some character history/backstory if possible, but I leave the history of each character up to the players. Once I've finished the prologue and have introduced the characters, they can feel free to post their histories.

We begin tomorrow night. :) /smiles with anticipation

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Looks like I have another GM to add to my list for GM's day! I'm going to be loving every minute of this! Thank you for considering my efforts worthy of your first foray into running a game, Ziona. I'll do my best to keep bringing high-quality, new material to the community. :)

Dartan

First Post
Can't wait to play. Only one more day and we can introduce the world to the Stoutheart brothers. Should be really fun to play these guys. "Oh Flick did mother pack any of those delicious corn rolls for our adventure? You know how i love mother's corn rolls Flick." -Cecil Stoutheart

Ziona

First Post
Sequestering The Snapdragon

Edan strolled down the dock with Hoog lumbering along at his side, taking in the salty night air. They ignored the sidelong glances from the sailors and fishermen who weren’t accustomed to seeing half-orcs on the docks and discussed their situation.

“Why hasn’t that rat paid us yet?” grumbled Hoog.

“Blackthorn is not the most trustworthy sailor,” said Edan in a quiet tone. “We knew that when we boarded his vessel.”

“Then what was the point if we knew we wouldn’t get paid?”

“The trades and deals that Blackthorn makes are quite profitable,” replied Edan. “When we get paid, it will be worth the trouble, I believe. Besides, Blackthorn realizes we know what he was carrying aboard Skullduggery. He’ll pay us.”

“He better,” murmured Hoog. “I want real food, and good ale, not the garbage served on Skullduggery. I’m sick of the sea, Edan. I just want what’s mine.”

“Settle down, Hoog,” said Edan as they reached the end of the dock. “Have a look at The Snapdragon. Do you think he’ll cheat us after getting booty like this? He’ll give us our pay and will be happy to be rid of us. The gold he owes us is nothing in comparison to this beauty.”

“Ah, it’s just another ship,” said Hoog unimpressed. “He probably owes us as much as this wreck is worth.”

“She’s hardly a wreck,” said Edan defensively. “She’s in fine condition, actually…superb would be a better word, but not wreck.”

“Wreck is just the word I was lookin’ for,” said a husky voice from the behind them.

As they turned, Hoog and Edan were greeted by three hulking thugs.

“Just admiring the ship,” said Edan confidently. “Is one of you the owner?”

“We work for the owner, actually,” said the man with the husky voice. “In fact, I think you know the guy… Shadrach Blackthorn.”

“What a coincidence,” said Edan with a smirk. “We work for Blackthorn as well.”

“Not anymore.”

Hoog frowned and fingered the hilt of his axe.

“I told you we weren’t getting paid.”

“Oh, we’re here to pay you,” snorted the man. “Blackthorn said to make sure you get yours.”

The man lunged forward with a dagger in each hand, but Edan was too fast. He leapt back and missed the slice that would have left his throat tattered. Hoog, overflowing with anger, reached out for the thug’s wrist and snapped it like a twig. As the second thug swept forward, Hoog slammed the hilt of his axe into the man’s nose, crushing it on impact. Both men crumpled to the ground in pain.

The third thug turned to flee but did not get far. Edan set upon the man with violent force, charging and tackling the man to the ground. The duo bound their attackers and placed their unconscious bodies behind a wall of barrels on the docks.

“So much for our payment,” said Hoog miserably.

Edan looked up at the Snapdragon and smiled.

“Don’t despair Hoog…our payment is at hand.”

The Adventure Continues…

Dr Midnight

Explorer
NEEDS MORE HALFLING

Err, what I mean by that is nice story Ziona.

I also can't wait to play.

Oh, Cecil, you KNOW mother prepared a batch of corn rolls for us to enjoy on our adventure. She also made some for our NEW FRIENDS, so that we might "break the ice" a little easier! Take heart!
-Flick

The Stoutheart brothers, below, on the morning before the BIG ADVENTURE...

Attachments

• stouthearts.jpg
    stouthearts.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 400

Remove ads