• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Adventurer's Gallery: NPC List, would there be an interest?

Echomikedelta

First Post
I bought the Ultimate NPC's and Skullduggery, and it is awesome. I would buy more of such products. I have neither the time nor desire to write up great backgrounds for NPC's. But I do want NPC's that are more than just a collection of stats. I want to know their motivations, back stories, etc. I want them brought to life. I just don't want to be the one doing the work. I want to pick up an NPC, read it over, and say "yes" she goes here.

fixitgeek

First Post
In theory I like the idea with a few caveats. I don't need an entire character sheet. I prefer NPCs as stat blocks that are compact and have just the needed abilities to make them interesting. Secondly I honestly like the NPC books for their extensive stories and backgrounds. That is what draws me in, so as you presented no I probably wouldn't be interested at all, I can create a character as presented myself in 15 minutes or less.

Sacrosanct

Legend
So something more like this? There would be an appendix in the back to determine magic items by level by class

preview2.jpg

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I run three types of NPCs:

1) Party NPCs, whom I create to fill a niche, such as healer. I intentionally design them to be secondary characters, so generic NPCs wouldn't help here.
2) Opponents, for which I use the MM design template. In other words, stripped down, with just a couple class abilities. Much simpler to run as GM.
3) Non-combatants.

So a product such as you're proposing would be of limited use to me. Sorry for the negative feedback. :blush:

Mini profiles of non-combatants can be interesting.

Motivations, loyalties, family relationships, best attribute, worst attribute, description of dress and a couple locales where they hang

aco175

Legend
I like the idea of this for NPCs. Something with stats and a bit of backstory/personality is great to have while playing or as key NPCs. I would like to have each fit on one side of a page rather than having to flip over the page to get the full use from each. Also, a simple stat block format to fit into modules and DM notes would help as well.

Remove ads