• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventurer's Vault: Alchemy preview

ferratus

Adventurer
I see antivenom/antitoxin is still something that is consumed *before* you're poisoned, as opposed to something you drink to negate poison in your system.

Other than that, looks great.

It still is useful after you are poisoned, since poison keeps affecting you round after round in 4e. That extra +2 might be useful to help you shake off the poison faster. Especially since there doesn't seem to be a neutralize poison utility spell or ritual, which as soon as it is introduced it would make antivenom a waste of time.

The Little Raven

First Post
I'm curious is to whether/when this book will be added to the SRD, as rules for vehicles and alchemical items and just boatloads of new items would be incredibly nice to have access to as a third-party.

catsclaw227

First Post
Yep. Now I have officially pre-orderd Adventurer's Vault. The last few excerpts have been intriguing and if it's representative of the full product, then it's gonna be a nice book.

Cadfan

First Post
Antivenom works exactly like it should. You get poisoned, you take antivenom, you get bonuses on your save against the poison. Probably you get poisoned in turn 1, then either draw and drink the antivenom immediately, or do so during your next turn, granting you a save on the immediately subsequent saving throw at the cost of a move and minor action and whatever you paid for the antivenom.

What else should it do? I'm not getting this.

Stalker0

Legend
What else should it do? I'm not getting this.

I like the anti venom rules as is. However, if they had wanted to do it differently they could have given the person taking it an immediate save against a poison effect. That way there's a chance you would never get poisoned.

But all in all the alchemical components look very good, and man tanglefoot bags are still powerful. Immobilized and then slowed...I'll take it!

SweeneyTodd

First Post
I was thrown by the high-level reagent prices as well, glad it came up. It makes sense that you'd probably brew up a few lower-level versions of whatever item you wanted to use, plus a few of the fancy high-level ones. It'd be kind of a waste to use a "Tarrasque-certified Tanglefoot Bag" against some schmo who broke into your tavern room to steal your spare change, but at that point you're probably raring around the plains and paying for everything with pockets full of diamonds, so who knows? :)

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
In the real world, don't you take antitoxins AFTER you've been poisoned? Things like atropine, antivenins, etc. are usually used as soon as possible after poisoning in a lot of cases, to reduce the poison's effect.

Yes. :erm:

I was replying to the quoted text that seemed to at least strongly imply that you would only want to take D&D antivenom before being poisoned. I was pointing out that it would still be useful to take it after being poisoned, just like in the real world.

Rechan

Adventurer
I think the anti-venom is a bit of a thread tangent, but hey.

I saw this show where a woman intentionally poisoned herself (putting the poison on her lips). However, before doing so, she swallowed the antidote, so that when she put the poison on her lips, the antidote was all ready in her blood stream.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads