• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventures Dark and Deep

Thorindale

First Post
Feeling a bit nostalgic for old rules, I came across this - Adventures Deep and Dark. I managed to get the v1.2 playtest PDFs and liked what I saw.

I saw that they have the "Players Manual" and "Game Master's Toolkit", some optional classes (the Necromancer, and the witch), and the Bestiary is on its way; but I'm curious what's in "A Curious Volume of Forgotten Lore", and do I need it if I get the other two main books?

Thanks

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm 99 percent sure that's just the stuff like the Mountebank and Savant that EGG mentioned for 2E but never got the chance to develop and isn't core in other OSR games. It's all in the other books, I believe.

A Curious Volume of Forgotten Lore is a supplement book intended for use with other games like LL and S&W, to allow you to add all or some of the new classes and spells, the new treasure rules, the new combat system, etc. as you like. It requires that you already have some other old-school rules that you're using, and just want to add on to. It's very modular and you can take only the parts that you want.

The Players Manual, Game Masters Toolkit, and Bestiary together form a stand-alone game. There's obviously a lot more material in those books than there is in Forgotten Lore, and you don't need anything else to play.

Hope that helps!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads