• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventures in Saltmarsh

Friendless

First Post
Gentlefolks, I need some plot inspiration. My PCs are adventuring with a woman Valmyra who claims to be a princess who was kidnapped by sahuagin slavers from a distant land. She toild them that her father (the king) would pay a fortune to have her returned so I hope they'll try to take her home to claim the reward. They'll jump on a ship and sail off to land in Saltmarsh (DMG2) which is the nearest port to the royal city.

The princess doesn't know it but she's not really a princess. Her real father was the king's younger brother who rebelled against the king when she was a baby. The rebellion was bloody with the younger brother and his wife and household not surviving, except for the baby princesses. The princesses were adopted by the king who raised them as his own and never told them who their real father was. However when this princess grew older it was clear to the king she had similar personality to his younger brother so he paid some dude to arrange for her to be kidnapped and taken away. He organised some sahuagin to come to the royal palace and steal the (then teenaged) princesses. However Valymra's strength of personality allowed her to escape from slavery and train as a wizard and she eventually fell in with the PCs. She doesn't know what happened to her sister - in fact she thought she had 3 sisters, and doesn't know that only one of them was kidnapped.

Anyway, the PCs arrive in Saltmarsh and Valmyra sends a message (from Saltmarsh Sendings) to the king saying she's back and she's safe. Bad news for the king - she's a threat to the throne and evidence of really naughty things that he did. What happens next?

I want to keep the characters in Saltmarsh because I have the full description of that town in the DMG2 and there are lots of plots in there. The dude that the king contacted to organise the sahuagin is there somewhere, and the king may want to silence him soon. There may be some of the adventurers who destroyed the sahuagin threat and they may know something as well. I'd appreciate ideas on where to go with this.

BTW, the PCs will be 2nd (maybe 3rd) level and need to be back before they're 6th level so they can meet the Red Hand of Doom.

Remove ads