Adventures in the Chaos Scar {Adventure One: Stick in the Mud}

hero4hire

Explorer
In your travels you have recently found yourself in the Town of King's Gate; also derisively known as Scargate to the locals.
King's Gate was originally a Military outpost set up to guard the entryway to the Chaos Scar; the tumultuous land that lies beyond the King's Wall.
But due to it's location near the crossing's of some trade routes, King's Gate turned from a simple outpost to something of a frontier town; ripe with opportunity.

You can see however another reason why they call it Scargate besides it's proximity to the Chaos Scar; for it truly is a blemish on the landscape.
Most of the buildings are hastily constructed affairs made of uneven wooden planks and during the day a veritable sea of dirty tents are erected and dozens of merchants, gypsies, and peddlers hawk their wares.

The only permanent looking structure is a squat, sturdy looking building made of stone blocks and mortar that stands upon a small hillock. It was the original fort that housed the small militia of King's Men, and it flies the King's Flag still, though it now houses the local Constable and his men.

While in the center of the Market you see the Constable, one Unther Ironhelm; a dwarf with a long red handlebar mustache that frames a wirey salt & pepper beard, hammer up a notice on a large shodden post.

It reads;

REWARD...REWARD
King's Constable seeking Mercenary types
to hunt and kill Bandits along the King's Road.
FIVE GOLD BOUNTY
for reasonable proof of each Bandit's demise.
REWARD...REWARD

Voda Vosa

First Post
The shifter moves by the sign, and sighs, knowing that she will have to lower herself to the mercenary task to have enough money to live.

OOC: I'll be out in a sampling campaign until Friday night, so perhaps I'll be able to update then, excuse my lack of descriptions

Phaezen

First Post
A tall human in travelworn leathers approaches, a greatsword strapped across his back. He approaches the sign and reads the posting and smiles grimly.

"This will atleast help me keep in practice and aid my disguise" Ruz thought to himself while studying the bounty offer. He turnes first to the Shifter studying the same notice. "Perhaps it would be bet for us to work together on the bounty rather than against one another?"

THen turning to Unther he smiles and says "My name is Skoldik, I am interested in your bounty offer, what can you tell me about these bandits?"

Bluenose

Adventurer
A tiefling in reinforced leather armour, her shield blank like that of a common mercenary, moves purposefully over to the group. "Perhaps you could include me in that explanation too, Constable." Turning to the human and the shifter, she continues, "I agree with you, Master Skoldik. My name is Chaihana, and I believe working together should certainly provide advantages, particularly since there are enough bandits to be a problem on the King's Highway. While I have no more specific information than you, that suggests a group of some size."

Last edited:

BarrelRider

First Post
A heavily armored dragonborn, the sun glinting off his bronze scales, approaches the small crowd gathered around the sign. I, too, am interested in such work, he rumbles quietly. I tire of life on the caravan trails, and this seems a good first step to finding an alternative. He looks around at the others. I am Torash, and I pledge my steel to this quest.

Finished speaking, he stands at attention, waiting for a viable next step.

Shayuri

First Post
As the riffraff stood hectoring the Constable about the scraps he was offering for his odd jobs, a tall blue-skinned woman with gleaming, pupilless cyan eyes came through the slowly accreting crowd to peer at the sign. She was beautiful in the way statues are; artistically perfect, but somehow hard and cold.

For a moment the deva was silent, contemplating. Then she spoke in a clear, liquid tone that echoed ever so slightly, as if she were speaking in a vast hall of glass that only existed for her.

"I am no mercenary, but Pelor suffers not even the smallest of shadows in His sight. The donation of the community will be accepted, so I may continue His work here."

Now her gaze alit on each of the other people there who seemed to be interested in the bounties.

"We each have our own reasons, but our aim is the same now. Though the wage be split, we may take many more by cooperating and come out ahead of where we would be by fighting the tide alone. I propose we merge our efforts, for the time being."

hero4hire

Explorer
"Well that was quick then." the Constable announced in a thick brogue. He then squinted at each of you appraisingly. There was a long silence as the creases that framed his gray eyes deepened. Finally he waggled his bushy eyebrows and took off a tarnished and dented helm. He rubbed his clean shaven head nervously as he continued to speak. "Right! Yew all look capable enough then. The attacks started a couple of weeks ago. A right bloody mess they are. At first it was just a lone merchant or two. But they became more and more brazen. The last attack was yesterday. A full caravan it was. Guards and everything. A right bloody mess! Slain to a man they were! The thing of it is...They don't be leavin' all of the bodies. I mean ta say is..." he looked around "They be takin' pieces." he finished in a hushed whisper.

Voda Vosa

First Post
The monk has remained contemplative, letting the others speak of fortune and glory, and of the advantages of cooperation. She didn't care for those things, but as her master once told her "If you are caught in the middle of the current, flow like the water, follow it's course. You'll find the sea you are looking for." and so she awaited.
When the dwarf spoke about the dismembered corpses, the shifter could not but frown her nose.
"Such abnormal behavior must have an explanation. Perhaps they are not just thieves. There are foul undead that would remove parts of their victims, twisted wizards that craft a mere mockery of life with the assembled parts of other beings, even simple cultists could find mutilation among their practices. Have you any information of such groups in the area?" she spoke, finally, asking the dwarf.

Phaezen

First Post
"Taking pieces you say? This sounds like more than just banditry afoot." Ruz grins and appraises his new companions, seeming to like what he sees. He turns back to the dwarf "Any idea where these wretches are keeping camp? Otherwise is there a merchant heading through the area who needs guards? We could posibly draw them out that way?"

BarrelRider

First Post
They would dishonor the dead so? Torash asks, horrified by the suggestion. If they are indeed mere bandits, they are worthy of no respect and will receive no mercy from me. The dragonborn's face hardens into a determined glare.

After listening to Ruz, he nods his agreement. That would give them quite a surprise, he adds. Although maybe we should just pose as the merchants, that we seem an even smaller and less protected group.

Remove ads