• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventures of the Knights of the Silver Quill: Glacier Season

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Interlude
Sunday, 9th of Coldeven
AFTERMATH

“I’ve found another one”.

”Who is it?”

“I don’t know… small.”

“Gnome? Halfling?”

“Child... Dwarven child.”

“Let’s get it in the cart…”

The two filthy men pushed some rubble aside and gingerly lifted the boy’s body. They carried him to a large wooden cart and placed him beside several other victims of the dragon’s assault. One of the men, Jassef, leaned against the wagon and looked over the town.
verboboncaftermath.jpg

The view was bleak. As far as the eye could see, the town of Verbobonc was all but laid to waste. Whitened walls stood amidst the endless piles of ruins and rubble. Snow was piled up in drifts against the stumps of trees and remains of homes. No green could be seen. Even the sky was colorless: an overcast gray. No wind blew. The only sound was of the town’s few remaining able-bodied men and women sifting through stones and fallen timbers, looking for survivors and collecting the dead. Their fingers were all numb with the cold and some of them still sobbed, but at least the screaming had abated some hours earlier.

Jassef rubbed his forehead and murmured to himself. “This isn’t right.”

His companion was a half-elf named Nerion. He’d lost one eye and his father in the attack over the course of the night. Nerion went back to the rubble. “Come on, Jas. Let’s keep busy.”

“This ISN’T RIGHT! Why would they just leave us like that?”

“Jas. Let’s keep out minds on what needs to be done.”

Jassef threw his arms up over his head. “NO! Those worthless heroes as good as did this themselves! They went and found some bloody great dragon to mess around with, then barely put up a fight when it came HERE and DID THIS… and then… and THEN they LEAVE…“

Nerion exhaled wearily. “You know why they left.”

“They left because they’re no-good cowards.”

“They LEFT, Jassef Shortbrow, because to stay would be to subject the town to more attacks. They left so that those of us that remain might be safe.”

“Safe.” Jassef spat the word out like it tasted bad. “I halfway suspect they were in league with the damned beast.”

Nerion didn’t have the energy to yell. He cast his eye towards his friend with irritation and said “Are you forgetting that they saved us? Saved ALL of us, saved the people of Oerth, just last year?”

“I remember. How could anyone forget all the festivals and feasts held in their HONOR? The way they walked through town like they owned it? Not to mention THAT!” Jassef pointed to the end of town. At the top of a small hill sat Spellforge Keep, one of the few buildings that remained standing. The only building that remained untouched by the dragon’s attack. Jassef glared at it furiously. “To HELL with them!”

Nerion turned over a piece of wall. He paused. “Found another”

“Who is it?”

“Looks like Simon Ohanna.”

“Let’s get him in the cart…”

The two silently carried Ohanna’s body to the wagon and laid him there next to the others. Nerion said “Looks like this cart’s about full. Let’s get it over to the temple.” Jassef nodded. They pulled the cart along the road for minutes, avoiding chunks of mortar and houses that were blown apart by dragon’s breath. They brought the wagon to the temple of Pelor and began unloading the bodies to be blessed by the priestess. When the cart was empty again, they turned it around and walked back through the rubble.

Jassef spoke. “Nerion, I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, Jas. Really.”

They walked through Verbobonc’s blasted streets, past the ruined buildings of the town they grew up in. The snow crunched under their feet. It would be a long time before it melted.

The adventures continue soon...

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
Okay, I was going to save this for when the campaign officially started up again, but I just can't wait...part of it is the fear that I'll misplace the lyrics and won't be able to find them again when the time is more appropriate. So, perhaps a bit prematurely, here's a song parody of Elton John's "The Bitch Is Back."

--------------------------------------------------------------

"The Knights Are Back"

I was down real low a few months ago.
No more Knights, that was quite a blow.
I was moping, all "Alas, alack!"
But I'm feeling so much better now, the Knights are back! Oh oh oh.

They're back in action, that's a fact.
No more in-fighting, they're back on track.
I'm so happy now, 'cause I sure did miss 'em.
I guess they got that Star Wars game out of their system. Oh oh.

It's the Knights, it's the Knights,
Oh, the Knights are back!
Got myself ready for some slash-and-hack!
They can fight, they can fight,
It's what they do the best,
Better than all the rest,
To that I can attest. Oh oh oh.

They entertain by dealing pain.
Their exploits are quite insane.
Even to great wyrms they don't cut slack,
Now the Story Hour boards are wild, the Knights are back! Oh oh oh.

Grab some popcorn or a favorite snack.
Have a seat, click the link,
Let the story begin.
Wipe the drool from your chin.
Get ready to grin. Oh oh oh.

I'll get my Knight fix now and that's a fact.
I can't wait, I can't wait,
Think I'll hit "Refresh."
Is this some kind of test?
Has Doc posted yet? Oh oh oh.

Knights, Knights, the Knights are back!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Johnathan
Self-Appointed, Unofficial Bard to the Knights of the Silver Quill Campaign

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Bring out'cha dead!

I feel better.

Your not foolin' anyone, ya know.

I want to go for a walk... Oh, you get the idea.

I'm just tickled we're reading KotSQ, that's all.

Last edited:

Ziona

First Post
Nice job Doc! It's a grim & eerie scene you've set...wonder who survived and who didn't? (Poor Dad...snarf, snarf...) ;)

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Hi!
BIG fat thanks to Richards, whose KotSQ song parodies are the only reason I do this.

Okay, that may have been an exaggeration, but they please me to no end. I'm only sorry I can't get the tune of "the bitch is back" in my head. I can't read it to the music as I normally do. Oh well.

Richards will also be playing a large part in the KotSQ in-game, as he'll be the author of at least two adventures I'm planning to put these people through.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Can't wait to run MY Pc's up against Acceiswell! He destroyed a whole town!

Kinda like in Reign of Fire, but with ice, I guess.

Where's Dartan?!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads