• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventures Within The Sewer

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Okay, due to my group being members within the Waste Management Guild within Ptolus, I need to find some clever adventures which can be dealt with within the sewers.

1. Hordes of rats are infesting the sewers. They need to be stopped.
2. The hordes of rats are being controlled by rat people.
3. Alligator in the sewers!
4. Found a hidden cache of supplies. If they take it, will the owners come after them?
5. Discover a brutally murdered body. Who did it?
6. People keep attacking the WMG [waste management guild]. Why? [That darned Otyugh wanting the sewers to himself. Turf war with an Otyugh]

Your turn! :)

SiderisAnon

First Post
7) Someone wants to poison the water supply. If there's piping, you probably access it through the sewers or something attached to it.

8) Smugglers operating in the sewers or through the sewers.

9) A black market that's established itself and won't take kindly to being discovered.

10) One or more thieves/spies/whatever who are hiding out in the sewers until they can get out of the town. Also works if you reverse it so that the person is a legitimate citizen who has a price on their head from criminals.

11) Someone is stealing stone from the walls. Find out who and why.

12) All the possible side effects of an alchemist dumping "leftovers" down the drain. (Sentient sludge, anyone?)

13) C.H.U.D. (For those who don't remember, it's an old 80's movie and means "Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers". I think in the movie they were caused by toxic waste being stored under the city.

14) They find multiple dead bodies over time in an area. Some drug den is dumping OD's down there.

15) A baby landshark. (Really, that just more to scare the heck out of them as to where mommy is...)

Peterson

First Post
16. Your team is tasked with discovering where one of the smaller sewer branches is blocked and fix it. When you get there, you discover a golem slowly building and maintaining a dam made up of scavenged items. He ruthlessly protects it from any attempt to destroy it - and as a golem, can't be reasoned with. A month after the PCs solve this problem...it repeats itself with a new golem. Who is responsible and why?

17. A little girl is found, half-dead due to malnurishment (sp?), along the "banks" of a large sewer line. She can't - or won't - speak, but has an expensive pendant around her neck. Who is she, and why is she here?

18. (Stolen from Presto on the sister thread) An awakened nest of rats "control" one section of the sewer. Ptolus has declared them citizens (and they have the papers to prove it), but the WMG need to do extensive repairs to that area. The rats refuse to allow it. Your team has to successfully - and diplomatically - convince the rats to allow it or move.

Pell-Mell

First Post
19. An otuygh who likes to collect shiny things that it finds in the sewage. Most of it is junk, but it has something the PCs needs. It can be bargained with.

20. A colony of semi-intelligent cats that are all descended from a cat who once served as a familiar to a high-level wizard. The colony as a whole knows quite a bit about what happens in the sewers.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
SiderisAnon said:
12) All the possible side effects of an alchemist dumping "leftovers" down the drain. (Sentient sludge, anyone?)

14) They find multiple dead bodies over time in an area. Some drug den is dumping OD's down there.

Actually, there are some nice hazards in Cityscape along the lines of (12), and a rather nasty new ooze that would love to live near the area of (14).

And:

21) Swarms of fiendish vermin are overrunning large portions of the sewer.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I once had an adventure in which the PCs were city engineers sent in to do an inspection of the sewers, whilst there they discovered some mutialted body parts which lead them to discover a conspiracy of high ranking guild officials who were working with a mad alchemist who had built a 'Blood Crucible' which could restore youth to the aged (the Guild masters wanted eternal youth). Unknown to even the guild thoughthe Crucible could also restore life to fresh dead bodies. The Alchemist was using this to create an army of mutants.

Anyway the PCs also lit a methane pocket in the sewers which exploded and caused toxic fumes to spread through the streets above. It also exposed a lost temple of an unknown civilisation (Yuan-ti) which is waht the PCs were to face once they completed the Blood Crucible adventure

Cyberhawk

Community Supporter
You might want to check out Dragon #326, it has an article about sewers in a fantasy setting.

The big thing to worry about in the sewers are the albino owlbears. Kids buy baby owlbear chicks at the market, but as the chicks grow they get nasty. So the kids chuck the baby owlbears into the sewers. Alas the owlbears adapt...they turn white from living in the dark and they attack anything they find.

The PCs can always hear that tale from a friend of a friend. Very trustworthy those tales...

Nlogue

First Post
I wrote a really fun adventure mini-campaign that has a whole huge section that takes place in the sewers of this coastal town. I'm very proud of it! It might see print sometime soon!

I personally think the sewers are an awesome locale for adventure. I like cloakers in the sewers...don't know why...just think their eerie moaning echoing through the tunnels is really off-putting. And of course, undead!!! Bodies get dumped and no soul rests easy in the filth and feces below the city!

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
22. A recent text uncovers information on what might be the key to discovering a hidden Mud Sorcerer's tomb. The location? 5 miles beneath the surface of the characters current city. :]

Remove ads