• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventures without much Hack n slash?

TableSage

First Post
Okay, so here is what I can think of off of the top of my head:

Dungeon issues #

118 Box of Flumph - a little silly, but not much combat
121 The Styes - good bit of exploring with a slant towards investigation in a neat urban setting
128 Shut In - stuck in a house with creepy old lady and her "pets"
129 Murder in Oakbridge - great murder mystery (Eberron, but it has notes to change that)
133 Chimes at Midnight - stop the mastermind villain (Eberron, but it has notes to change that)

I ran "Shut In" as an Ars Magica adventure and it worked great. But as with all Dungeon adventures a little fine tuning and removal of some of the unneeded combat encounters replaced with more investigation, exploring, and chatty encounters is usually not too difficult. But all of these need very little tinkering (if any).

138 (has some nice adventures with less hack 'n slash, but all have more combat than the others I've mentioned)
- Urban Decay - Wererats, sewers, and some investigation
- The Weavers - another Styes adventure
- Mud Sorcerer's Tomb - exploration, traps, and puzzles
- Challenge of Champions VI - as mentioned above, no combat

I don't have access to any non-Dungeon modules at the moment...

EDITED to add issue #138

Last edited:

LcKedovan

Explorer
With TableSage's additions that is a good start. Still it is a bit surprising that so few seperately "published" (ie: non Dungeon) Adventures are of the more "thinking" nature.

Hmm Mud Sorcerer's Tomb sounds like a real winner based on Kenobi's comments. Man, I can barely wait to move and get my new dedicated games room up and running!
Thanks for all the comments so far. keep em coming if you have any ideas or suggestions!

-W.

Crothian

First Post
Most modules you can alter slightly to fit what you want. There is not a module on my shelf I couldn't alter the focus to more role playing; you should have seen what I did with World's Largest Dungeon. But to get that out of the box is rare.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Try to find a copy of Atlas' "Splintered Peace", that's a city campaign with nary a dungeon in site. If it's diplomacy you want, this module will make you take care in what you wish for. :p

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Huw said:
UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave is reputed to be completable without a fight. However, it can seriously ruin campaign continuity, since it mucks about with time, and there are plenty of oppurtunities to fight.
I think a smart group will figure out the slow time properties of the area pretty quickly. A DM worried about the players screwing up the campaign too badly can give some broad hints in visual depictions as they enter the area, just to help.

This is a GREAT adventure, and one that Dungeon would be well-advised to update.

Mycanid

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I think a smart group will figure out the slow time properties of the area pretty quickly. A DM worried about the players screwing up the campaign too badly can give some broad hints in visual depictions as they enter the area, just to help.

This is a GREAT adventure, and one that Dungeon would be well-advised to update.

My thoughts EXCATLY Whizbang ... beat me to the punch again. :)

But I also liked Diaglo's suggestion about converting the old choose your own adventure books....

Remove ads