• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventuring Expert Base Class

skelso

First Post
I really like the idea of the Expert NPC class and have always wished there was an equivalent PC class in the same way that Warrior and Fighter relate. I know that the Expert and the Rogue are very similar, but the Expert has an ability that the Rogue does not, a customizable skill list. Anyway, I've been trying to brainstorm a good way to make a PC worthy class. I'm wondering if this idea is too strong, too weak or would make a class that someone would actually see value in playing as a single class without multi-classing. Here are my ideas for advice, comments and criticism:

Adventuring Expert
Hit Die: d8
Attack Bonus: Average (like rogue)
Saves: Good Will saves
Proficiencies: Simple and Martial Weapons, Light and Medium Armor, and Shields (but not Tower shields)
Skills: Any 12, player's choice. 8 + Int Mod skill points
Abilities: At every even level (2, 4, 6, etc.) the Adventuring Expert gains a Borrowed Talent.

Borrowed Talent - Whenever an Adventuring Expert gains a new Borrowed Talent, the player may choose one of the following abilities:
  • Trapfinding - The character gains a +1 to saves and AC with regard to traps. The character may use Search to find traps with Search DCs higher than 20.
  • Sneak Attack - The character may add 1d6 to his damage when making attacks against opponents when flanking or when the opponent is denied his Dex bonus, exactly as a rogue.
  • Spell-like Ability - The Adventuring Expert may select a spell from the Bard, Cleric, Druid or Sorceror/Wizard spell lists, which may be used once per day as a spell-like ability at a caster level equal to the Adventuring Expert's class level. The DC is based on the Adventuring Expert's Charisma modifier. The spell must not be of a higher level than a caster of the same level could cast.
  • Rage - The Adventuring Expert may Rage once per day. The ability functions like the Barbarian's Rage Ability at 1st level.
  • Turn Undead - The Adventuring Expert may Turn Undead, once per day, as a Cleric of his class level. If this ability is taken, Cleric levels stack with Adventuring Expert levels to determine Turning maximum HD and damage.
  • Bonus Feat - The Adventuring Expert may choose an additional feat.

The abilities that can be acquired are at the high end of the power spectrum, but can only be used once per day, generally. My initial thought is that this might be a balanced class, though perhaps the Spell-like ability talent needs to be weakened in some way.

The idea behind this class is to be a generalist. Generally, this class could be used to emulate many of the features of another class, but if the character specialized in trying to emulate another class, it would be to the player's disadvantage. For example, if a player took sneak attack at every even level, the character would be about as good as a Rogue at it, but would not gain the benefits of the Rogue's many other abilities. However, if the player took especially appropriate bonus feats and spell-like abilities, it could be a powerful combination.

Possible problems that I can see:
-Bonus Feat selection may need to be limited to just the Fighter Bonus feats?
-Spell-like ability may be too powerful
-There are probably other talents that should be added to further diversify the class
-Maybe it "steps on the toes" of the other base classes too much

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice or commentary you might have.

Last edited:

Remove ads