• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventuring within the body of a dead god...

DrNilesCrane

First Post
I'm looking for ideas and suggestions (as well if any pre-generated modules exist - fairly sure there's one or two out there) for an upcoming D&D adventure in which my players will get to take their characters within the body of immense god (vaguely humanoid, a few hundred or more feet tall), buried for several centuries but recently partially uncovered and being slowly revived (which presumably the party will try to stop).

I'm planning on treating the body as a dungeon with arteries/veins surviving as tunnels, but am looking for ideas like biological encounters (i.e. as the body is reviving, what could be occuring that could cause the party danger) and interesting encounter areas. There's a lot of flexability with the internal structure (we're talking alien god basically) so off the wall ideas might work well (or be easily adapted). Ideas of "The party encounters [fill in random creature from some splatbook]" doesn't really help unless there's more to the idea or a good reason for the creature to be there (i.e. maybe some kind of carrion worm mutated by the "divinity" of the dead god into something else...even an ecosystem within its body).

Any ideas out there? :)

Richards

Legend
I haven't read it myself, but I believe Monte Cook's Dead Gods (a Planescape adventure from the AD&D days) has exactly what you're looking for, although naturally you'll need to convert it to the current edition.

Johnathan

rugbyman

First Post
Monte Cook also wrote Demon Gods Fane that takes place within a large humanoid shaped statue. As the title implies, though, its full of demons.

Jim Hague

First Post
Wasn't there an adventure in Dungeon a few years back, The Lich Queen's Beloved, that had a massive map of a dead god the Gith were using as a base of operations?

Frostmarrow

First Post
Asimov's Fantastic Voyage might be a good read for you. Otherwise the movie by the same title from 1966 is rather entertaining. Also Innerspace from 1987 deserves a mention.

Crust

First Post
Dungeon #100, in fact:

http://paizo.com/dungeon/products/issues/2003/100

SPOILERS

Most of the module takes place on the surface of a dead god, and as Vlaakith attempts to awaken its power with her wish spells, the surface shakes with tremors every so often. The portions within the dead god's body are interesting, granting PCs inherent bonuses to initiative, wisdom, and others. I highly recommend this issue. "The Lich Queen's Beloved" is a fantastic module for higher level PCs, and it has an interesting, alien feel to it.

DrNilesCrane

First Post
blargney the second: Evil god with a snake motiff, party is 9th - 10th level (five primary characters plus a capable NPC or two)

Richards: Thanks, I'll check that out!

Rugbyman: I've actually run that adventure with these players and it was a big success, but that's a good suggestion!

Jim & Crust: I'm glad you brought that up - I have that module sitting on my shelf and forgot about that...might be some good ideas there!

Frostmerrow: Those are the general inspiration sources I'm looking at (with the various options of fantasy and magic as well as evil thrown in)

Ed: Excellent idea - love it!

More suggestions and ideas welcome!

:)

Bayushi Seikuro

First Post
Speaking of Monte and dead gods, I'd recommend Requiem for a God -- I think that's the name. One of the interesting things in there is about the powers of godsblood, as well as godsflesh.

Also, the energy given off by the corpse can have other weird effects.

Remove ads