• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice for Cal Coalbarrel, Halfling Pyromancer

John Little

First Post
tl;dr - So, I want to just pile on as much raw fire as I can. Any suggestions for fire, both mechanically and flavor-wise, that I might've missed?

Full version:

So, a friend is running a game and her players have asked me to please, please show up with a wizard to play since they've been running for nine levels without anyone who can cast arcane spells except the bard, and while bards are great and all they want something with a bit more punch while they try desperately to just leave Ravenloft. ("I always summer in Barovia, don't you?")

Now, I don't want to drop into the game world with a powergamed wizard, so I thought I'd just drop in with a halfling wizard who loves fire, Caliente "Cal" Coalbarrel. I'm going more for 'fun to play' than 'powerful' or 'well made.' The term 'cripplingly overspecialized' was tossed around once or twice when I threw ideas at the GM. So... here's what I'm looking at for right now, but I'd appreciate some suggestions for ways that I can make Cal more fun and fiery in his quest to be the all around premiere pyromancer, fiercest firemaster, and hottest halfling.

Feats/Spells/Etc. I'm Looking At So Far:
-Improved Familiar: having a small fire elemental as a pet would be hard for Cal to resist.
-Fiery Burst: Perhaps not the greatest of choices, but there's some fun to be had in choosing not to cast a Wall Of Magma spell in favor of getting several 5d6 bursts. (Though if I choose something other than straight wizard, my highest level spells may only allow 4d6 bursts. Even so: repeatable firepower.)
-Brew Potion: From the fifth level of wizard, Brew Potion will let me replenish my Jolokia Juice (see below), among other things.
-Energy Substitution: So that I can have a Cone of Fire, or a Cal's Fire Arrow. Unfortunately, this means I'll need...
-Another Metamagic Feat: I'm not picky here. Empower Spell, Still Spell, Silent Spell, etc. Something that'll either make it more fun to deal fire damage, or something that might be handy if I wind up in a zone of silence or get manacles clapped onto my wrists in a really well executed surprise attack or a grapple or something.
-Neutral Good or Chaotic Good alignment: one way or another, I want to take Phoenix Fire from Book of Exalted Deeds when it becomes available.

Items I'm Looking At:
-Pyroclast, the +1 Flaming Sling made out of a dragon's tongue. The DM *might* want me to pay more for the privilege of saying it's made from a dragon's tongue by treating it as if it's made of dragonhide, though since dragonhide's not a material for weapons I don't think that'll be happening. Still, I'm trying to keep a portion of the budget earmarked in case its masterwork cost winds up being 600 instead of 300, assuming I'm reading how this works correctly.
-Jolokia Juice: Made from the Fugu Jolokia, the hottest pepper known to halfling or monkey-fearing pirate, this is the sauce that Cal puts on most of his food (and sometimes just drinks straight if he's thirsty.) Mechanically, it's identical to a Potion of Fire Breath, AKA Elixir of Fire Breath. See note below on Brew Potion and Craft (Alchemy).
-Scorching Gaze: an Elemental Graft from Magic of Eberron, this will gave Cal a 1d6 Gaze attack, which comes with a directed "fire shooting out of the eyes" attack, the ability to set things on fire just by looking at them, and most importantly, LARGE, FLAMING EYEBROWS. Almost as expensive as Pyroclast, my DM is requesting that if I take this I make the -2 penalty to Spot and Search become a -4 penalty. Pah... what need have I to Spot or Search for things? All turns to ash before my gaze, and there will be nothing left to search for! Unless I, like... turn the eyes off for bit.
-Sundry Incendiaries: Won't be much in the budget for them, but a few Alchemist's Fires (Player's Handbook), Acidic Fires (Eberron Campaign Setting), and perhaps a few things from Tome And Blood (Flash Pellet, Glowpowder and Phantom Ink (for either Firelight or Starlight)). Arguably one of those neverending torches since I want Cal to be a provider of not just explosive fire, but also controlled, comforting, enlightening, and helpful fire as well.
-Bric-a-Brac: Dull, but probably necessary. Things like a Headband of Intellect (thanks to some *Really* good rolls, this'll give me an effective intelligence of 22), Bracers of Armor, Amulet and Ring of protection (or whatever they're called), etc. A low-grade Bag of Holding to go in the backpack is likely as well. Basically just stuff to make Cal a bit more survivable in a fight, and more useful in day to day life. I'll probably also want a cauldron, kindling, glass jars, mortar, pestle, and other alchemy-related things.

Complicating Issues And Questions:
-Domain Wizard: I know there's a way to have a wizard get the domain power of a cleric, but I can't recall what it is. Getting the domain power of the Fire Domain would be worth it in case we're ever face to face with a fire breathing dragon or fire elemental if I can just end the fight by rebuking the creature then and there. I think I'd have to alter my feat selections, though. Worth it?
-Jade Phoenix Mage: One possible bit of fun is that this character might be a good fit for a Jade Phoenix Mage. I've always wanted to try that class. Unfortunately, the easiest way to go about this involves giving up a level of wizard to be an initiator, and the other option is to spend a whopping three feats on prerequisites. (The prestige class itself causes a few speedbumps to spells as well.) So, I'd potentially lose out on some spell-casting power, but I'd get some experience playing an Initiator and I'd eventually get the ability to just explode myself to cause damage to others. It's hard to say no to this, though I thought I'd ask if anyone had thoughts on it. It'd also give a little bit of Fire Resistance through stances, something that totally fits Cal's love of fire but isn't covered by much else he's done except for the need to cast spells like Protection From Energy. (Also, I might have to rebuild Cal to benefit from most Jade Phoenix Mage abilities since he's a ranged fighter what with his dragon-tongue slingshot and spell reliance.) Also, I feel like I'd either need to go for Jade Phoenix Mage *or* the Fire Domain Power since direct caster level is, I think, important to that kind of thing.
-Bubble, Toil, And/Or Trouble: Are there any handy alchemical items or magical items I'm missing out on that I should snag that would fit this general concept?
-Feats: I like the feats I've got, but are there other feats I should look at? Searing Spell is one I really want, but that might be better for down the line than for right away.
-Misc. Fire Lore: Between Dragon fire, dwarfish forge fire, faerie fire and more, there's a lot of ways to generate fire. Any you can think of that I've overlooked that might be fun to work in somewhere?

Notes:
-Alchemy: Since I'm planning on maxing out my Craft (Alchemy) skill, I'm being given permission to use the Brew Potion feat to make any potion-like item (so, elixirs, ointments, salves, and other such things that the DMG lists as being made with Craft Wondrous Item.) Apparently magic in her world always comes from a "source" for a person, and it looks like one of my primary sources is gonna be Alchemy, so to represent that she's opening up what I can do with the feat for fun and flavor.
-Deity: The issue of deity is an odd one this time around. Generally I avoid it, but I can see Cal revering something. I've been trying to learn more about the Greyhawk setting lately, and finally got my hands on the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer (seriously, I wish they'd released more than one single book for Greyhawk over third edition's run...), and two deities stick out to me: Joramy, the goddess of volcanoes, fire, wrath, anger, and quarrels; and Wenta, the goddess of the West Wind, Harvest, Brewing, festivities, and not-fire. On the one hand, Joramy's got the fire thing down pat, and has neutral-good leanings despite loving wrath. On the other hand, Wenta seems almost perfect when it comes to attitude and demeanor, though has a notable lack of fire in her portfolio. Arguably she could be revered as a dwarfish variant where brewing and forging are related, thus gaining a reverence for fire and the gaiety of festivities and fun that's apparent in her write-up, but as written she's almost ideal as a halfling goddess without having to bring dwarfs in. Ultimately, this is a matter that doesn't, uh... matter, but it's giving me an unusual amount of head-scratching.
-Money: I've got 36,000 gp, and it's being requested that no single item I acquire be worth more than a fourth of that value (so, nothing more than 9k gold.)
-One Left Feat:​ I'm trying to make this without the Strongheart Halfling; while an extra feat would be delicious, I'm trying not to overwhelm my friend here since it's her first time GMing.

Okay... I think that's all. Any thoughts on how I can give myself more pyromania?

Last edited:

Hope this isn't too late but I would look at the feats Searing Spell (Penetrates energy resistance) and Fiery Spell (+1 damage per die). Both can be found in Sandstorm.

Also, if you want MOAR FIRE then look at Elemental Savant. It has some neat bonuses, slowly turns your type to an outsider and automatically uses your energy substitution. Be sure to keep a wand of magic missiles around just in case....

John Little

First Post
Hope this isn't too late but I would look at the feats Searing Spell (Penetrates energy resistance) and Fiery Spell (+1 damage per die). Both can be found in Sandstorm.

Also, if you want MOAR FIRE then look at Elemental Savant. It has some neat bonuses, slowly turns your type to an outsider and automatically uses your energy substitution. Be sure to keep a wand of magic missiles around just in case....

Thanks! I'd forgotten Fiery Spell.

I'm torn between prestige classes like Elemental Savant and the Divine Wizard ACF I'm going with that gives me the domain power of the Fire domain (took me a while to locate it, but I've finally got the book that it's in.) On the one hand, I'd love turning into an outsider and letting Energy Substitution just "happen." On the other hand, I love the idea of my halfling being able to lift his hand when a Red Dragon drops in front of him to rebuke it, effectively saying "I'm more fiery than you'll ever be." The first option is more overtly fiery, but the second one feels like a nice passive thing that'll have more punch and meaning to it if it ever comes up. Thoughts?

Well, I think the big thing is if you can Turn/Rebuke attempts to fuel other feats. I don't think as written you can use your rebuke fire creatures to fuel something like Divine Meta-Magic. Could you grab Arcane Disciple? Is your wisdom high enough for that? With that being said, it sounds like you've got a great role playing idea for being a Domain Wizard. So I say run with it! :)

Can you grab Elemental Savant as well? I've always liked all the little bonuses that class granted. And at the end not only are you more fiery than the dragon but you are fire!

John Little

First Post
Well, I think the big thing is if you can Turn/Rebuke attempts to fuel other feats. I don't think as written you can use your rebuke fire creatures to fuel something like Divine Meta-Magic. Could you grab Arcane Disciple? Is your wisdom high enough for that? With that being said, it sounds like you've got a great role playing idea for being a Domain Wizard. So I say run with it! :)

Can you grab Elemental Savant as well? I've always liked all the little bonuses that class granted. And at the end not only are you more fiery than the dragon but you are fire!

Wisdom isn't high enough to truly benefit (at least not without a serious rebuilding of things). However, I'm considering taking it anyway; there might be some fun to taking enough alternate features and specialized abilities that I just naturally get two versions of Burning Hands before I even put it into my own spellbook as a regular arcane spell.

Elemental Savant might be okay for a few levels if I can keep my wizard level high enough for the purposes of turning. (After all, I couldn't just Rebuke that red dragon, I could also Command it if it was a Wyrmling or Very Young dragon, and that'd be the case for just about any creature with the Fire subtype, but only if they had a small enough number of hit dice compared to my levels in Wizard.) This is, admittedly, unlikely to ever come into play unless the DM throws a bunch of Mephits or something at us (as a Wizard 5/Elemental Savant 5 I could Command fire creatures with only 2 hit dice, I think.)

Ignoring all that, though, if we assume that I abandon my weird obsession with an underpowering ability that's really meant more for divine casters, what would your thoughts be on taking levels in Elemental Savant vs. levels in Jade Phoenix Mage? The latter would require more of a rebuild, but there's something undeniably fun about the ability to blow yourself up and then be fine a bit later.

Hmm ... I'm not too familiar with ToB and maneuvers. Do you need to multiclass to get your maneuvers? Multi-classing means fewer caster levels which means less of a big boom. Practiced Spellcaster could be a good way to offset that. The capstone ability, which lets you blow yourself up, works once per week. I have a feeling that it may not get that much use in game just because of the time it's on cooldown. However, your DM and group may take a lot of downtime so you won't have to worry about that.

For turning/rebuking, my experience has always been "If I can turn it, I can just as easily whomp it". Having a bunch of mephits under your command could be great but you could just as easily have one by taking Improved Familiar. The Fire domain does have some nice spells that you normally wouldn't have access to, though. :)

John Little

First Post
The loss of spell levels is likely. Theoretically, I could invest a whopping three feats into the prerequisites instead of taking a level of Crusader or Swordsage, but that seems like an even bigger investment, almost.

Ignoring that, the class itself has two lost levels, just like Elemental Savant. These two levels happen at different places, though: 5th and 10th level for Elemental Savant, and 1st and 6th level for Jade Phoenix Mage. So... worst case scenario, Jade Phoenix only loses one more.

Remove ads