Advice for first time gencon-visitor

marimacc

First Post
Ook yeah, I just want to point out that there was a huge computer problem at the first Gen Con Indy, and so those lines are just not the norm.

If you can get your badge Wednesday night, that'd be great, but if not, I don't think you'll have to wait much more than an hour or so on Thursday. Possibly more if you get there right at 8 or 9am and get in the back of the line. Thursday a little later should be no problem.

I'll give you some of the same advice I've been handing out to some of our newbies on the Gen Con forums, and we do love newbies!

Check out the main website at http://gencon.com/2007/indy/; the event tab will tell you about lots of events.

Also please check out http://community.gencon.com/forums/thread/75207.aspx

Finally, I would suggest you check out the Keeper's website at: http://php.iupui.edu/~wrporter/

And also I'd suggest you just browse the forums a bit to get a better feel for some of the more popular events.

These three links will give you a good overview of the Con, so you can come back and ask specific questions. There is SO MUCH to see and do, and everyone has their favorites, that it's really better if you sort of dig around yourself for a while and narrow down what interests you, and then we can go from there. :)

Beckett

Explorer
Dextra said:
For me there are two important events not to miss at Gen Con:
The ENnies and the costume contest.
The ENnies (Friday night) should be a no-brainer. Assemble with EN Worlders (and other board readers) and the crème of the publishing world. Participate in the excitement that is the world's première RPG awards.

Having just found out that I'll be going, the ENnies stuck out as one of the things I wanted to attend. Is there any entry fee, or limited seating? Or just show up and sit down?

johnsemlak

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Did anyone mention the tradition that first-timers have to buy a beer for any ENWorlder the run in to?

It appears, that in order fro me to run into you, you'll have to wait in line with me ;)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Beckett said:
Having just found out that I'll be going, the ENnies stuck out as one of the things I wanted to attend. Is there any entry fee, or limited seating? Or just show up and sit down?
Just show up - meet other ENWers, then sit down, enjoy the show, socialize after.

Also, as said, stop by the ENWorld Booth.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
johnsemlak said:
What time is a good time to arrive to avoid the lines? Is it definitely too late to get one now?
Registration lines drop off after mid-afternoon but if you are showing up Wednesday evening, I THINK they opened reg for a couple of hours (4-7pm), have to check that out.

Registration has gotten better...the lines move rather well, at least they did last year from what I saw.

Bayushi Seikuro

First Post
Now, I haven't been to Gencon since the last year it was in Milwaukee, mind you, but...

First-time visitors should remember that showering is doubleplus-good. :) Be prepared to be mushed on and bumped into a lot.

The dealer's room and art gallery are musts.

Don't be afraid to get into any demos that look like they might be interesting. Don't miss Chessex's mug o' dice, assuming they still have it.

Just general things like that. And the general 'be prepared to stand around and wait' kind of thing.

diaglo

Adventurer
johnsemlak said:
Is there still time for me to do some cool stuff.
yeah,
i hear there is an OD&D(1974) tournament scheduled.

Assault on the Temple of Elemental Evil

so roll 3d6 in order str, int, wis, con, dex, cha and d6 for hps and come join the slaughter.
wed even
fri morn
sat afternoon
sunday morn

johnsemlak

First Post
diaglo said:
yeah,
i hear there is an OD&D(1974) tournament scheduled.

Assault on the Temple of Elemental Evil

so roll 3d6 in order str, int, wis, con, dex, cha and d6 for hps and come join the slaughter.
wed even
fri morn
sat afternoon
sunday morn
just posted. Definitely interested.

Remove ads