• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice for new "story now" GMs

I don’t want to belabor this point and turn this into a system vs. system debate, but, with that caveat: another key realization of ‘story now’ is that it is STORY now. Not simulation now. Not logical outcomes now. What drives play is not realism nor mechanics; it’s “what would fit the tone of the story we are telling?” For many games that tone may be “rule of cool”: what’s the coolest, most interesting thing that could happen?

===

On a related note I really like the Principle from Apocalypse World: ”Play to find out what happens.” As both players and GM you have to give up the certainty of driving towards a preordained plot outcome, and let the actions and dice fall where they may. It’s terrifying but also exciting.

Now, yes, the PCs can have goals and drive towards those goals: “I want to ascend to leadership of the bugbear tribe and win a glorious victory over the hated hobgoblins.” OK, that’s your goal; now let’s play to see if it happens.

Similar the GM prep may give the NPCs / antagonists / abstract forces of nature / evil / etc. — some goals they will (try to) achieve if the PCs do nothing to intervene. But the GM is also playing to find out what happens, and those NPCs / etc. have no special dispensation nor protection.

innerdude

Legend
Question: is it possible for this sort of meta-level discussion to never happen, and if so, how?

I ask because while some players might be the safety net, others often carry metaphorical knives with specific intent of cutting through said net. I speak of players - and there's a whole lot of 'em out there - whose main or even only goal in play is to "beat the game"; and who would quickly find ways to exploit meta-level discussions like these to game the game, as it were, and in so doing stumble on to (and with open arms embrace!) the Czege principle.

Can I share a secret with you? I feared this very thing when I first thought I might try Dungeon World. "Oh my gosh. How in the world do you keep a cap on the players just inserting 'I win!!!' buttons into every scene?"

And this was playing with three powergamers in my group. One a mild-but-proven powergamer, one a mostly-hardcore, one an ultra hardcore.

And you know what happened?

Exactly none of these fears came to fruition.

We sat down as a group. I provided what I hoped was a thoughtful, reasonable explanation of what Dungeon World might look like, how it plays differently from "classic" or "traditional" RPGs, and that we as a group were going to collectively have more input into scenes, and not just from the GM side, and that we as a group needed to find a new way of playing that we hadn't tried before.

To be honest, I didn't GM Dungeon World well at all. I totally did it wrong. But even with my mistakes, the group largely embraced what we were trying to do and didn't push back against it and try to break it. It's amazing how adaptable players become when you offer them something, and tell them the reason you're offering it, and describe to them how to get the most from the offering in a way that serves the greater balance of play.

Later, when I finally figured out how to run Ironsworn and how to engage the group using the narrative dice in FFG Star Wars, then everything came together and became incredible in play. And the group recognized---with occasional bumps, admittedly, but with a good attitude and a sense of fun---how a more character-focused, collaborative gameplay style can come together.

It's amazing how well the group self-managed and self-reflected on what was fun, and what expected outcomes should be. Multiple, multiple times, more than I can count, it was the other players that offered suggestions on how to limit certain actions and outcomes in a way that was fair and fun, and didn't strain the credibility of the fiction.

The other time when the players-as-safety-net idea fails is when the players simply aren't proactive enough. There's a lot of these out there as well, and while it's possible to get some to become more proactive it sure don't work on all of 'em. These players will at best react when they have to and at worst will happily do nothing other than watch as the story unfolds.

And unless the intent is to trim the potential player base by a lot, maybe to near zero in some communities, story now has to be able to seamlessly integrate and deal with these approaches to play; and further, do so without overtly trying to change who-what these players inherently are, as that never ends well. So, how can this be done? Or do you think it's even possible?

You want to know another secret? Players aren't proactive in "trad" because they're rarely given reason to be. Anything they throw out as "proactive" is either shot down immediately by the GM because it "Doesn't fit in the campaign I'm running," or it gets shelved for "later, when we're in Bingdongnabbington, because that's where the suggestion fits in the story." Only the GM doesn't tell the player that getting to Bingdongnabbington is 6-12+ months of real time play away, because "Sim priorities, man. You can't break the sim!"

Or even if neither of the first two cases is true, there's a residual "trad" GM mindset that you just can't give the players nice things. Because if you just give the players nice things, they then go off and try to break the game. Or ask for more nice things and just become a pain in the a** about it. And what GM could possibly be expected to deal with such things? Players should accept the table scraps they're given and be happy about it.

pemerton

Legend
there's a residual "trad" GM mindset that you just can't give the players nice things.
I think this is true. It seems like it might be an enduring legacy of some of Gygax's rhetoric in his DMG, although the context for that rhetoric- ie classic "gamist" dungeon-crawling - is long gone.

A key premise for "story now" play, and one that "story now" GMs should keep in mind, is that play being interesting and centring the players' concerns for their PCs is not a reward. It's a starting point from which everything else follows.

innerdude

Legend
A key premise for "story now" play, and one that "story now" GMs should keep in mind, is that play being interesting and centring the players' concerns for their PCs is not a reward. It's a starting point from which everything else follows.

True. Which also speaks to another misconception about Story Now play, which is that because players goals regarding their PCs are brought front and center, that somehow it cheapens the attainment of those goals.

There's absolutely nothing in the playloop of Story Now play that somehow magically hands over the attainment of goals without conflict and through play-driven resolution.

pemerton

Legend
True. Which also speaks to another misconception about Story Now play, which is that because players goals regarding their PCs are brought front and center, that somehow it cheapens the attainment of those goals.

There's absolutely nothing in the playloop of Story Now play that somehow magically hands over the attainment of goals without conflict and through play-driven resolution.
In terms of the OP, you're pointing to opposition as one mode of facilitation.

niklinna

satisfied?

Our last Stonetop game, we all went to rescue one of my character's childhood buddies from a group of marauders. We by no means waltzed in and carted him home. They'd set the guy up on a pole to die of exposure, and we were spotted on our way in (after dealing with a number of obstacles on the way) by a scary mutant with a group of five warriors. A lucky wonder by one of our spellcasters cured her of her mutation, but then the leader of the tribe wanted to celebrate that...by killing and feasting on my character's childhood buddy, which of course none of the other Stonetoppers was cool with either. So our marshal challenged the leader to single combat (before I could, natch) and killed him—by the skin of his hit points. Another miracle resulted in the conversion of the tribe to his deity, which my character was and is totally not cool with. They were set to kill and eat my buddy after all! (And my character's instinct is Ruthlessness.) Well, the threat seems to have been dealt with, but as I said in character, there's little so dangerous as a converted fanatic. We'll see how that continues to roll out.

Last edited:

Our last Stonetop game, we all went to rescue one of my character's childhood buddies from a group of marauders. We by no means waltzed in and carted him home. They'd set the guy up on a pole to die of exposure, and we were spotted on our way in (after dealing with a number of obstacles on the way) by a scary mutant with a group of five warriors. A lucky wonder by one of our spellcasters cured her of her mutation, but then the leader of the tribe wanted to celebrate that...by killing and feasting on my character's childhood buddy, which of course none of the other Stonetoppers was cool with either. So our marshall challenged the leader to single combat (before I could, natch) and killed him—by the skin of his hit points. Another miracle resulted in the conversion of the tribe to his deity, which my character was and is totally not cool with. They were set to kill and eat my buddy after all! (And my character's instinct is Ruthlessness.) Well, the threat seems to have been dealt with, but as I said in character, there's little so dangerous as a converted fanatic. We'll see how that continues to roll out.
Oh, yeah, and my character's (the spellcaster above) REALLY REALLY wanted some neat magical rocks that she uses to make her powers work better, but the Marshal (who ended up killing that leader guy) and his cohort of warriors got all weird and superstitious about it, lol. But I'll show them! I'm gonna go back and get them rocks! After all, I'm a mighty level 4 Seeker now, and much smarterer and more cleverer than everyone else (also cute and manipulative, so many good things).

niklinna

satisfied?
Oh, yeah, and my character's (the spellcaster above) REALLY REALLY wanted some neat magical rocks that she uses to make her powers work better, but the Marshal (who ended up killing that leader guy) and his cohort of warriors got all weird and superstitious about it, lol. But I'll show them! I'm gonna go back and get them rocks! After all, I'm a mighty level 4 Seeker now, and much smarterer and more cleverer than everyone else (also cute and manipulative, so many good things).
Gosh my character is only level 3. I guess I'd better just declare myself level 4, and pick 2 advances instead of 1 while I'm at it. Maybe take down the emperor of our last campaign for good measure and kill off all our PCs there to show them what they get for breaking the law. In my own personal shared fiction, this is already fact!

But seriously, some of the more interesting things as we play are the changing relationships and goals of our characters (PC and NPC), rarely 100% friends or enemies, but aligned on some matters and opposed on others, as events unfold and resolved by the group and the rules we adopted for that purpose.

Gosh my character is only level 3. I guess I'd better just declare myself level 4, and pick 2 advances instead of 1 while I'm at it. Maybe take down the emperor of our last campaign for good measure and kill off all our PCs there to show them what they get for breaking the law. In my own personal shared fiction, this is already fact!

But seriously, some of the more interesting things as we play are the changing relationships and goals of our characters (PC and NPC), rarely 100% friends or enemies, but aligned on some matters and opposed on others, as events unfold and resolved by the group and the rules we adopted for that purpose.
Yeah, I started with the idea "well, Meda might be a bit naive about magical power and stuff, and she's very curious" but these characters kinda have a bit of a life of their own, and she's maybe a bit more foolish than that, and maybe a bit more overconfident, and really insanely curious. The manipulative part wasn't planned, but I think Ifrhys is about to get dragooned again. Well, actually he's probably safe for THIS cycle since he was pretty beat up. Soon though!

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
And unless the intent is to trim the potential player base by a lot, maybe to near zero in some communities, story now has to be able to seamlessly integrate and deal with these approaches to play; and further, do so without overtly trying to change who-what these players inherently are, as that never ends well. So, how can this be done? Or do you think it's even possible?
I just profoundly don't understand this angle. Like, TTRPGs aren't huge LARPs for dozens of people. They need like 2-3-4 players. Besides, we live in the 21st century, online play exists.

And I don't think anyone is "inherently" a particular kind of player. People are shaped and moulded by their environment. Of course most players aren't particularly proactive if they play games where being proactive is a surefire way to ####ing die!

Remove ads