• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice needed - buying a new PC

Grog

First Post
So, I'm looking to buy a new desktop PC. The one I have right now is old enough that I figure it's not worth trying to upgrade it piecemeal; it's better to get an entirely new system. So I'm looking for advice on where to get it. Option 1 is to buy from Dell or some other major PC company; while they're more expensive, I have the peace of mind of knowing that the system will work (my current computer is a Dell and it's lasted me almost five years). Option 2 is to buy from one of those no-frills online PC retailers; they're a fair bit cheaper, but I'm not sure I want to take a crapshoot on a new PC.

I'm not really interested in trying to build a system myself - I'd just rather not hassle with something like that.

So, any advice on places to look at buying this thing?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I've had my current computer for 7 years and I'm looking at replacing this holiday season.

It is a Gateway. Not sure if they are even still in business though.

Thanee

First Post
If you are not comfortable building the PC yourself, I would definitly not recommend it. While it's not really hard, there are still enough pitfalls.

I generally think it's the best way to let some retailer build your PC with handpicked components, as long as they give decent warranty.

I would never buy a PC from one of those major companies. I really don't see any advantage there, it just costs more.

For my own PC, I just go to a PC store here (there are plenty around), which offer this kind of service and it costs very little (~€25) to have it put together including preinstalling OS with a 2-year warranty on the whole system on top.

I'm not sure what options in this direction you have, but I'm reasonably sure there are online retailers that should offer this kind of service and are perfectly reliable.

As for what components you should look out for, that depends on what you want to do with it...

Bye
Thanee

Aus_Snow

First Post
Yeah, just check your local or nearby shops, compare prices, make sure the place you buy from has been around for a while, and seems legit, and so forth.

It might prove advantageous - of course, hopefully it doesn't come to this anyway! - to be able to take your PC in to somewhere nearby, and wait for a lot less time as well, before getting it back.

I've heard some horror stories about Dell, and others. But then again, the same goes for smaller businesses. I guess, ask around your local area, see what others' experiences with prices, warranties, repairs, returns and so on have been liike. The field is probably quite a bit different there from here, so I won't even try to get more specific. :)

But best of luck, and if you have any questions about hardware or the like, I and/or a number of others here would be more than happy to provide some information and opinions.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
How good are you at simply knowing what parts you want? Like do you know what motherboard you want, what graphics card you want, etc?

Since if that is the case (or even if you only got a general idea) then sometimes the local good PC shops will be willing to order the parts and make it for you. I know my local PC place, you pay the parts through them (they buy straight from manufacturer to so cheaper) and they build it, no charge right there in the shop.

Merkuri

Explorer
My last two desktop computers have come from TigerDirect.com, and I haven't been disappointed. They sell both fully-built computers and what are called "barebones" systems, which means they're missing a few key parts (like a video card). I think both computers I bought were missing a video card - the first time I bought it like that because the video card was the only decent thing in my old PC and the second time I did it because it was cheaper.

A barebones system may be a way to compromise on your "don't want to buy pieces and put it together myself" because most of the essentials are there, you're just missing one or two big things - and they usually tell you what you're missing. But if you don't want to worry about it at all you can buy one of their pre-built computers.

I like TigerDirect because they usually have good deals, and they don't have all the nonsense of a brand name. (By the way, don't buy Dell if you ever plan on upgrading pieces inside - I once had to buy an $80 power supply for my Dell - something that should cost maybe $25 - because they used a nonstandard motherboard and so I needed to get specifically a Dell-branded power supply.)

Grog

First Post
Thanks for the replies. I have a pretty good idea of what I want for the PC; I've done some reading on the subject and I'm going with Intel for the CPU and NVidia for the video card. I'll check around with local stores, but I'm not sure what my options are there. Does anyone have any favorite online retailers? I'll check out the one that Merkuri posted, but it'd be nice to have some other places to look, too.

Woas

First Post
I've never owned a Dell. But so far everyone I know who has (close friends, relatives) ran into problems with them. Every computer has problems... so its not particularly Dell's fault or the real issue. The real issue they had was Dell computers use maybe 50-75% of their own custom made components so if something goes wrong there is a lot of bureaucratic hoops they had to jump through to get a very easily fixed part replaced or fixed. Either having to buy over-prices replacements or sending your machine back and forth through the mail which is pricey.

For example a Power Supply unit (PSU) on a friends Dell went bad. He had to buy a special Dell only PSU because they use the non-universal special Dell only kind. This special PSU, (which really isn't special at all, it just has some of the pins on the plugs moved around to match the pins of a Dell motherboard), cost him $100 plus S+H, where as a normal PSU of the same type probably would have been $20 plus S+H. And on top of that, when he was trying to just replace this simple part the Dell people were trying to pitch sales to him! It's not a huge deal but just saying.

I myself have been eyeing computers. I don't plan to build one for a while still, but I like to keep up-to-date on stuff. Back in the day (like, 4+ years ago) building your own computer usually cost you half as much as buying a pre-built one. I've noticed now a days it really isn't the case anymore. My friend picked up a computer from CyberPower (CyberPower Inc. - building the best Gaming PC is not only our profession, it is our obsession.) and got a real nice computer for a great price. After comparing what he got, I really couldn't build one myself for any cheaper than what the site was selling theirs for. So I'm sure if you do some searching there are some nice places on the net that will sell good PCs, with Tech Support, and not use all custom parts.

Merkuri

Explorer
For example a Power Supply unit (PSU) on a friends Dell went bad. He had to buy a special Dell only PSU because they use the non-universal special Dell only kind. This special PSU, (which really isn't special at all, it just has some of the pins on the plugs moved around to match the pins of a Dell motherboard), cost him $100 plus S+H, where as a normal PSU of the same type probably would have been $20 plus S+H.

That is EXACTLY what happened to me. Have you ever gone to school in Pennsylvania. ;)

Calico_Jack73

First Post
For me it comes down to two things... cost and service.

Cost - This is probably the most minor of the two to me. I always buy the most powerful system I can (within reason) because it will be just that much longer before I have to replace it. I bought a P4 2Ghz Dell in 2001 and I just replaced it this year. Seven years wasn't bad and I still could run most games and software on it. It is even more of a non-issue if you have some way of getting a discount. My company had a 26% discount with Dell when I bought my new machine AND Dell was offering $600 off the XPS 420. I ended up getting a machine worth $4600 for $3000. With that kind of discount I doubt I could have built it myself for as cheap.

Service - This to me is the biggie. If I have issues with my machine I don't want to go hunting through a file drawer full of component warranty information. With Dell or HP I can just call their tech support, give them my service tag number and they can then pull up my system as built. I've never had a problem with Dell or Gateway support. In fact, the sound card on my old machine went out and I spent a bit of time troubleshooting it to identify that it was a hardware problem. I called Dell and told the tech that I did this stuff for a living and that I had already done the troubleshooting. I was fully prepared to be walked through "The Checklist" but they totally suprised me... they didn't. They simply asked to confirm my address and I had my new sound card the next day. I will never forget that! If you buy a Dell XPS system you get the preferential treatment. The person that answers the phone is the person that will work through the problem with you from beginning to end. The XPS support is also in the United States which might be important for those of you who dislike being sent to support in India.

Long story short... Support is what keeps me going back to Dell. I've been doing IT for 14 years and could certainly build my own but after working on computers all day I just want my machine at home to work and every Dell, HP, or Gateway I've had has done that reliably through the entire period of ownership. I'd rather spend my time at home playing games, not fixing my own machine.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads