• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice Needed: Buying New Laptop

Mark Hope

Adventurer
My laptop has begun to die. Hard drive failures reported, and thus the end is nigh. While I consider repair, I am also considering a replacement. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5472z (P6100, 6gb ram, 640gb hd) and I have been very happy with it indeed. Well, up until today.

I am looking at the following (links are to online stores in the UK that are selling models that I am considering as replacements):

Acer Aspire 5750z
Acer Aspire 5742
Packard Bell TS
Toshiba L750D-14E

As you'll see, I'm looking for something around £400 with 6gb ram or more, 640gb hd or larger, an equivalent or better processor, hdmi output and an sd card reader. I want a nice screen, and a numeric keypad is a plus. Those have been the criteria.

Anyway, while I compare reviews and specs for the above, I figured I'd ask here if anyone has any experience with any of the above models. I'm a bit unsure about getting another Acer. While I've loved my current one, its premature hd failure has put me off (I only bought it last November!) the brand a bit. Is the Acer Aspire brand known for crappy hard drives? Or have I just been unlucky?

Any recommendations for other models with the right specs and price?

Thanks!

Janx

Hero
My laptop has begun to die. Hard drive failures reported, and thus the end is nigh. While I consider repair, I am also considering a replacement. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5472z (P6100, 6gb ram, 640gb hd) and I have been very happy with it indeed. Well, up until today.

I am looking at the following (links are to online stores in the UK that are selling models that I am considering as replacements):

Acer Aspire 5750z
Acer Aspire 5742
Packard Bell TS
Toshiba L750D-14E

As you'll see, I'm looking for something around £400 with 6gb ram or more, 640gb hd or larger, an equivalent or better processor, hdmi output and an sd card reader. I want a nice screen, and a numeric keypad is a plus. Those have been the criteria.

Anyway, while I compare reviews and specs for the above, I figured I'd ask here if anyone has any experience with any of the above models. I'm a bit unsure about getting another Acer. While I've loved my current one, its premature hd failure has put me off (I only bought it last November!) the brand a bit. Is the Acer Aspire brand known for crappy hard drives? Or have I just been unlucky?

Any recommendations for other models with the right specs and price?

Thanks!

Normally, I would stay away from Acer or Packard Bell (they're still in business?). Just not known for the best hardware.

If your PC is less than a year old, it should be under warranty (most ship with a 1 year). That might cover the hard drive. Also, hard drives are cheap. Buy a new one and reinstall the OS and yer back in business.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
If the rest of the current laptop is still alright, and it's only the HD that's failing, if it's under warranty, try that. (although looking at the specs below you may be wanting to upgrade if planning on playing any more recent computer games)

If not, you might be able to have the contents cloned over to a new HD, and installed for far cheaper than a full system replacement. Just make sure you pick a reputable computer shop in your area, I'd recommend against any big box stores for repair/replacement work personally.

Personally, I like Asus laptops in general, Toshiba are fairly good, as anything, If possible, try to get your hands on a model to try it out to your liking, and also, ensure that you know exactly how it is and might be used and match the options you want to your budget.
Darn, don't have the British pound symbol easily accessibly on my keyboard, but about 1000 dollars (CAN) should grab you a good modern laptop that can last up to 5 years.

One thing you may want to look into is nVidia Optimus technology for laptops, it allows you(the computer) to switch between motherboard graphics, and a discreet graphics chip. (ie it only turns on the Hardcore graphics card when needed) saves on battery life. AMD doesn't yet have their equivalent out yet, I think it's a few more months away.

Get at least a Core i5 or higher if planning on gaming with the laptop, (or AMD equivalent) Also, wait a little longer if buying a new Intel as they are just now refreshing to a new chipset version of the Core iX lineup. ( or just make sure it's running, Ivy Bridge, versus the older Sandy Bridge chipset release. )

Alan Shutko

Explorer
I've always viewed hard drives as consumables, and by the time they die, it's time to upgrade to a bigger one. I'd agree that if the laptop you have is suiting you, replace the hard drive. But if you're feeling the yen for something better... This is a decent excuse.

Remove ads