• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recently Revived Laptop Needs Feeding

Ranes

Adventurer
A brief history: Two old friends visit. One asks me if I'd have any use for an old laptop that doesn't go... Out come the screwdrivers, a handy replacement hard drive for the one that's fried :cool: and, three of your Earth days later, I have a Packard Bell Easy Note Dc (circa 2001) with 128 Mb RAM, a dinky 4 Mb ATi Mobility Radeon card (that supports dual display and the tv out works - ooh) and CD-ROM drive, running Windows 2000 so reliably that it's already become the most stable platform I've owned outside a work environment.

This joy was amplified by subsequent installations of PC Gen (mmm), RPM (home at last!), DM Genie (hey, I registered it), the one and only Jamis Buck's NPC Generator (Andargor's hoopy 3.5 upgrade), Scott Metzger's inordinately useful Monster 3.5 and a wealth of spreadsheets.

But I need games. I don't have that many computer games at the moment. Civ II and Planescape: Torment both run fine but I'm looking for something else, as well. Anything written in the last three years isn't going to run, basically. (I installed and patched NWN; it ran, if you call one frame per minute 'running'.) So I'll consider any old PC titles I can still buy in the shops or on the net. I've got about 10 Gb to play with. Your suggestion is welcomed.

Thanks for reading.

Ranes said:
So I'll consider any old PC titles I can still buy in the shops or on the net. I've got about 10 Gb to play with. Your suggestion is welcomed.

Thanks for reading.
So you've got TV out, and a modestly powered PC?

This machine is begging to be an emulation powerhouse.

Run out and download emulators for all of your favorite console and arcade systems (MAME, SNES, NES, Genesis, etc) and then use the TV-out to play all your old favorite console/arcade games just the way you remember them, only better.

For an even better experience, grab a PS2-usb adapter and play everything on a gamepad, which increases the realism tenfold.

-F

Ranes

Adventurer
Femerus, truly thou art a wise Gnecro, for that is an idea the Admiral of the Arcadian Sunfleet himself would consider 'stonking'. I'll do that.

Remove ads