• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice on selling a new product (game aids)?

Asmor

First Post
First of all, apologies if there is a better forum for this. The publishers forum was the closest that looked somewhat suitable, and I'm not sure it is...

Anyways, I just had an awesome idea for a product. Without giving too much away, it's something that I could make myelf for probably less than a dollar a piece, minus development costs (which would be minimal) just by picking up some supplies at staples. In fact, that's probably what I'd do since I doubt I'm going to start selling dozens of these. Unfortunately, that also means that the quality would be inconsistent, since it's hand made.

But a bit of a digression, I suppose. Two questions:

1: Self-publishing. If I do decide to self-publish this, what would be the best channels to advertise in? It's something targetted at players, and would be fairly cheap (a couple bucks at most), with maybe a 6-pack discount if someone wanted to buy them for their whole group.

2: Established publishers. I have a feeling it's probably like selling ice to eskimoes, but are there any established publishers who are actively looking for new products?

Thanks in advance.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Asmor said:
1: Self-publishing. If I do decide to self-publish this, what would be the best channels to advertise in? It's something targetted at players, and would be fairly cheap (a couple bucks at most), with maybe a 6-pack discount if someone wanted to buy them for their whole group.

You'll have to run the convention circuit and set up demos and the like. The Game Manufacturer's Association (GAMA) would be another stop though there is much debate (and far more drama) about their efficacy for new publishers. There's another game publishers association but I forget their name (probably "game publisher's association" knowing my luck).

2: Established publishers. I have a feeling it's probably like selling ice to eskimoes, but are there any established publishers who are actively looking for new products?[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of. The publisher's forum would be a place to check. I'd have a prototype ready though.

Asmor

First Post
Thanks for the advice!

Sadly, as a full time student who hates travelling and is also boycotting airlines, conventions aren't really an option. :/ I was meaning more like online places to put the word out (this site being an obvious example).

Asmor

First Post
I guess it wouldn't be too difficult for someone to make it themselves from a PDF, but it kind of defeats the purpose of a game aid IMHO.

Remove ads