• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice on what Kingdom of Kalamar setting material to pick up

Hstio

First Post
With the 75% off sale on KoK books, I'm tempted to pick some setting (non-crunch or little crunch) books. I've thought about picking up a couple of the race books in the past (Fury in the Wastelands and Strength and Honor). Any recommendations? How about Dangerous Denizens? The only two Kalamar books I currently own are the campaign setting and the players handbook.

Hstio

Leatherfut

Explorer
I'll tell you what I just ordered for the 75% off extravaganza:
- The Coin Trilogy
- Black as the Brightest Flame
- Geanavue
- Loona - Port of Intrigue
- Players' Primer
- Pekal Gazeteer
- Secrets of the Alubelok Coast
- Kalamar Atlas

These seemed, to me, to be the least crunchy of the line. The race books and Dangerous Denizens don't seem to interest me as much as the city and region books. I guess I'd get them all if I could, but that money thing gets in the way, even with the great prices.
If a certain area of Tellene interests you, try to get stuff set in that area. I concentrated on Reanaaria Bay.

Happy Gaming,
Frank

Hstio

First Post
Leatherfut,

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to pass on the adventures unless they have significant setting information in them. I'm also a little leary about Geanavue as I heard it overly detailed and dry. Loona sounds interesting, as well as Secrets of the Alubelok Coast and the Pekal gazetteer.

Gallo22, go to the Kenzer site and you'll see that all their liceansed stuff is 75% off.

Hstio

Technomancer

First Post
Leatherfut said:
I'll tell you what I just ordered for the 75% off extravaganza:
- The Coin Trilogy
- Black as the Brightest Flame
- Geanavue
- Loona - Port of Intrigue
- Players' Primer
- Pekal Gazeteer
- Secrets of the Alubelok Coast
- Kalamar Atlas

These seemed, to me, to be the least crunchy of the line. The race books and Dangerous Denizens don't seem to interest me as much as the city and region books. I guess I'd get them all if I could, but that money thing gets in the way, even with the great prices.
If a certain area of Tellene interests you, try to get stuff set in that area. I concentrated on Reanaaria Bay.

Happy Gaming,
Frank

How much did you pay for shipping? I put two books in the shopping cart and it looked like it was going to charge me $10.

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Technomancer said:
How much did you pay for shipping? I put two books in the shopping cart and it looked like it was going to charge me $10.

Books are shipped Priority Mail, with rates tied into s&h cost and weight. With books at 75% off, the shipping cost may grow to more than the discounted book cost - which probably looks weird, but is still a great deal. Shipping costs for the sale aren't discounted (since the books don't get any lighter :)). So the more you buy, the better the rate gets.

The rate scale is here.

Last edited:

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Hstio said:
With the 75% off sale on KoK books, I'm tempted to pick some setting (non-crunch or little crunch) books. I've thought about picking up a couple of the race books in the past (Fury in the Wastelands and Strength and Honor). Any recommendations? How about Dangerous Denizens? The only two Kalamar books I currently own are the campaign setting and the players handbook.

Hstio

Most of the supplements have little crunch (typically 5% to 10%). Otherwise, it depends what you get - the KoK campaign setting sourcebook, Atlas and Player's Primer have 0% to 0.5%. Stealth & Style focuses on two new classes, so that's more like 30%.

Generally, the thicker a book is, the lower the % of crunch. :)

Last edited:

Leatherfut

Explorer
Hstio said:
Leatherfut,

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to pass on the adventures unless they have significant setting information in them. I'm also a little leary about Geanavue as I heard it overly detailed and dry. Loona sounds interesting, as well as Secrets of the Alubelok Coast and the Pekal gazetteer.

Gallo22, go to the Kenzer site and you'll see that all their liceansed stuff is 75% off.

Hstio

Hmm, I heard that Geanavue was good. Also, if you plan to actually play in the setting, Loona and Geanavue are right next to each other.
About the adventures, I hear that they DO have a good amount of setting info in them. Supposedly, (from what I remember reading) the coin trilogy describes the city of Zoa and other locations that are in the story.
I have Midnight's terror and it describes the city of Thygasha and its environs. So, yea, there's some setting info in there, but I don't want to buy too many adventures either.

Frank

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads