• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

advice to anyone still wondering if they should purchase a DDI subscription today

malraux

First Post
As a Mac user, which applications and features on DDI are unusable for me? This would reduce the value of the subscription depending on how much is affected by not being a Windows user.

Cheers,
Cam

Well, assuming that you don't have either bootcamp or parallels, the only thing that doesn't work is the character builder. Everything else is just web-based. Obviously, if you have bootcamp or parallels, then even the CB will work.

Montague68

First Post
I'm going to pay for the year subscription. I've blown $60 on some truly awful Xbox and PC games in the past. I figure within a year I'll get much more use out of DDI than those games, so why not give it a shot.

I just hope they tidy up the bugs in a somewhat timely manner.

smug

First Post
Well, assuming that you don't have either bootcamp or parallels, the only thing that doesn't work is the character builder. Everything else is just web-based. Obviously, if you have bootcamp or parallels, then even the CB will work.

Bootcamp and/or parallels/fusion and buy Windows. But I guess a fair few Mac users have already taken that step.

The virtual tabletop thingy is still going to come out and be windows-only, isn't it? Although will that be through DDI? And is it even still going to be produced?

malraux

First Post
Bootcamp and/or parallels/fusion and buy Windows. But I guess a fair few Mac users have already taken that step.
Yeah, but why would you get the first without getting the latter?

The virtual tabletop thingy is still going to come out and be windows-only, isn't it? Although will that be through DDI? And is it even still going to be produced?

When/if the VTT ever comes out, it will be windows only, at least at first. It's still listed as being planned, but no one is willing to give a date for when it'll be finished.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Nope, I don't have any Windows-sim software and no Windows install disks. Not going to take that route, since my hard drive's just not big enough to partition that way.

Oh well!

Cheers,
Cam

smug

First Post
Yeah, but why would you get the first without getting the latter?

I was just picking out the additional costs.

When/if the VTT ever comes out, it will be windows only, at least at first. It's still listed as being planned, but no one is willing to give a date for when it'll be finished.

Yeah, I didn't even know what the status was/is, but I'll be surprised if it is ported outside of windows even if they do ever finish it.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
Cam--

Only the character builder is a PC application. The rest is all web-based, and works just fine on any platform.

Going forward, we're told that the character visualizer and the game table will also be PC applications, so mac users (myself included) won't be able to use them.

Hope that clarifies!

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I just signed up last night and I think it is worth the money already.

For a DM the Encounter Builder is a godsend IMHO. I only wish that it'd automatically include the stats for the creatures selected but it still saves a great deal of time by filtering in only the monsters that would be appropriate for your party's level.

The Compendium is also fantastic and worth the money. A web searchable database of all released and some unreleased material? I can access it from work during my lunch so I don't have to lug books in or worry about not having the book I need with me.

I love the Character Builder though I think the complete package should be free to all players, not just the subscribers. You want to make it easy for new players to get into the game, not more difficult. CB makes character creation easy even for first time players.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
For me, the DDI isn't worth the money right now.

I don't DM 4e, so none of the prep tools are useful to me. Neither is Dungeon. My DM doesn't allow anything from Dragon, or from any of the newer books except on a case by case basis, so both the Compendium and magazine are of very limited use.

The character builder could be useful, but it alone isn't enough for me to spend the money on the whole package. Keeping one character up to date just isn't worth $60 a year for me.

Remove ads