• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice wanted on what system for a Flash Gordon style one shot?

I'm looking to run a planetary pulp style game for our wuarter get together and I'm looking for a good system to handle the game style. We use these games to run new systems. I know there is a SW flash gordon book but SW is pretty crunchy of a system and I'm afraid the learning curve might distract from the game here. Looking for a crucnh medium to light system. Doesn't need to be super simple like PBtA but I don't want to have to teach my players something like hero system for a one shot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

pemerton

Legend
I'm looking to run a planetary pulp style game for our wuarter get together and I'm looking for a good system to handle the game style. We use these games to run new systems. I know there is a SW flash gordon book but SW is pretty crunchy of a system and I'm afraid the learning curve might distract from the game here. Looking for a crucnh medium to light system. Doesn't need to be super simple like PBtA but I don't want to have to teach my players something like hero system for a one shot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
How much work are you prepared to do?

Prince Valiant is fun and could be adapted to pulp, but some work would be needed.

HeroQuest revised is pretty light (lighter than FATE), and could do this pretty well I think.

Have a look at Danger Patrol by John Harper.

It's free and it's available here

Even if you don't like it, it's a good source of ideas for what a knockabout pulp sci-fi action story game can look like.

S'mon

Legend
White Star (& White Star Galaxy edition) has a Flash Gordon based character class in the Companion - I'd prob use White Star with 5th level PCs.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
HeroQuest revised is pretty light (lighter than FATE), and could do this pretty well I think.

If you want *really* light, you go with FATE Accelerated.

If you want pulpy goodness, Spirit of the Century (a FATE-based game) is likely a good fit.

Remove ads