Aeon (updated 10/9/14)

Rackhir

Explorer
BLACKDIRGE said:
Hey guys,

Do any of you know if Sep is doing any professional (paid) writing? It may be the reason for lack of updates.

Authors of popular story hours sometimes get snapped up by enterprising publishers looking for talent, which then limits the time they have to write the story hour that got them noticed in the first place. It's a vicious circle, I know. :D

I would have a hard time believing that Sep was not at least approached by a number of different publishers.

BD

I suspect he'd have mentioned something if that was the case. Lets face it there's a lot of RL stuff that can cause people to not update a SH. The guy who writes the Chronicles of Burne in my sig, had a kid about a year ago and has gotten out one update in that year (fortunately the DM is starting to take up some of the slack).

Also let us not forget the original "What Should I do with this Paladin and Succubus" thread that Sep started, had something like a 6 month gap between the last time he posted and when he got around to posting what he had decided to do. So the periods when he's been posting to the SH more than once every 6-9 months are the exception. Blissful though they might be.

He was doing quite a lot of work on his epic D&D Magic system there for a while, but I think it migrated to some sort of private forum and I lost track of it. It is definitely worth tracking down if you're looking for more insights though.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
I think Martin's writing is adequate. It's his storytelling that is hateful and misanthropic. But I digress....

I have problems with the story as well. But I also find his writing boring and repetitive.

In conclusion, Sep you definitely are better than George R.R. Martin. :D Bind this and publish it for goodness sake!

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
GoodKingJayIII said:
Since Martin is terrible, that's not saying much! :p

I kid, I kid. Though I may be the only person in the world who dislikes his writing.

As always Sep, this is great stuff and I hope to read more in the future.

No, you're not. I can't stand him either. I just mentioned Martin because so many here seem to think he's the bees knees.

Shampoohorn

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
I think Martin's writing is adequate. It's his storytelling that is hateful and misanthropic. But I digress....

Sep was last seen on the boards "today" (who, me, a stalker?), so he hasn't completely forsaken us. Maybe he is busy playing (not DMing) 4e, and it's so much fun he hasn't had time to write story updates. :)

Yeah, Martin tries to show us the dark side of human behavior. At first glance it seems to work, but it quickly descends into disconnected plot twists and thin stereotypes. Sep's done a great job telling a complicated story with characters that easily stand up in complexity / depth to Martin's. And Sep's alot more fun to read, besides.

If you really want to explore crazy medieval conspiracies and social upheavals, pick up Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth. It's like Game of Thrones only written better, plotted better, though unfortunately without the dragons. (And it actually has an ending too.)

If you really wanted to stare into the dark depth's of human nature, pick up Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. The evil in that 'historical fiction' book is more tangible and yet fantastical than in any supposed fantasy book I've ever read.

Last edited:

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
Shampoohorn said:
If you really want to explore crazy medieval conspiracies and social upheavals, pick up Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth. It's like Game of Thrones only written better, plotted better, though unfortunately without the dragons. (And it actually has an ending too.)

If you really wanted to stare into the dark depth's of human nature, pick up Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. The evil in that 'historical fiction' book is more tangible and yet fantastical than in any supposed fantasy book I've ever read.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to pick up these books.

Hey All,

I've been away from the story board for a while, so I'd like to re-read the whole story from the beginning, as well as recommend it to a friend. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated!

Remove ads