• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Aerial Combat and Net

So let's assume there's aerial combat at 400ft height, the adventurers against a strong flying creature. One of the adventurers uses a Net to attack and the attack succeeds. Does the creature immediately fall 400ft to the ground and take 40d6 damage? Seems a bit overpowered.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
A strong creature might just break out (DC 10 Strength check) or do 5 Slashing damage (AC 10) before falling the 400 feet.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Also, I don't think you can fall 400 feet in one round. But I'm AFB so I don't know know if falling rates are covered in this edition.

Oofta

Legend
As has been mentioned, the maximum damage from a fall is 20d6 (page 183 PHB).

However, the book doesn't mention how far you can fall in a single round so google can once again come to the rescue. According to how-far-does-one-travel-when-falling-for-one-round, it's around 550 feet (previous editions of D&D had it set at 500 feet per round). Assuming the answer's calculations are correct, you can indeed fall 400 feet.

The big question is, does the netted creature have a chance to break free while falling? After all, it's falling for most of an entire round and it's only a DC 10 Strength check or dealing 5 slashing damage to an AC 10 object.

In the highly unlikely scenario that this actually happens (I've never seen anyone use a net YMMV) and the creature doesn't have hover and is not held aloft by magic? As a DM I'd give the creature one chance to break free as it's falling.

True, 20d6 is max damage. I like the reasoning that the creature will get one attempt to break free before hitting the ground. Then the players need to be very lucky to succeed.

BTW, anyone that a net works on (Large or smaller), will be affected in exactly the same way by a Battlemaster's Trip maneuver. Doesn't work on adult dragons but hilariously awesome on young ones.

Also remember that if you take falling damage, you land prone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads