D&D 5E After 2 years the 5E PHB remains one of the best selling books on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

delericho

Legend
That is a great question to ask if the answer you want to hear is "No thanks, just looking"

It doesn't have to be that question. But there are plenty of others the sales assistant can use that don't start out with the sexist assumption that a female in a game store is lost/is shopping for someone else/has been dragged in by a boyfriend.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
And they're still your friends?!?!?!

Well one of them is worth it for other reasons. Sometimes you tolerate jerkish behavior because they make you laugh in other ways and you know where the behavior is coming from and why they are the way they are.

If it was a good bar with good drinks and the regulars weren't upset by my out-of-place presence, sure. Why not? It's still fulfilling the desire to have gone there in the first place, to get a drink.

If I actaully had some other goal, then the bar in question may or may not fulfill that.
Well, the point of the example was to try and suggest a place where you did not feel welcome and entirely comfortable, possibly even unsafe at an extreme.

That we cannot do so is a perfect example of white male privilege.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Well, the point of the example was to try and suggest a place where you did not feel welcome and entirely comfortable, possibly even unsafe at an extreme.

That we cannot do so is a perfect example of white male privilege.

If you flip the example, to a Black Lesbian in a "regular" bar, unsafe isn't an extreme.

Hell, I'm a white, cis, bisexual male that dates women more, and married a woman, and I've been physically attacked in a bar for flirting with a dude. Not by the dude I was flirting with, but by a random drunk homophobe that until he got uncomfortable that a "gay" was standing next to him, seemed like a perfectly normal person.

seebs

Adventurer
No one, anywhere, is actively looking to be offended. They're just aware of and sensitive to real world things you are able to ignore, probabaly because they don't impact your life directly.

I use a website called tumblr, and I promise you, there are people actively looking to be offended. And working hard at it.

Now, I don't think that's commonplace, but they are definitely out there.

The way I view it, there is a definite and useful distinction to make between "giving offense", and "taking offense". And sometimes, you meet people who are not only taking offense, but sending out scouting parties to look for offense which is unclaimed or only lightly defended.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I use a website called tumblr, and I promise you, there are people actively looking to be offended. And working hard at it.

Now, I don't think that's commonplace, but they are definitely out there.

The way I view it, there is a definite and useful distinction to make between "giving offense", and "taking offense". And sometimes, you meet people who are not only taking offense, but sending out scouting parties to look for offense which is unclaimed or only lightly defended.

:shrug: there is no good way to go any fighter on the topic without mod intervention, I imagine.

I'll just say, I use tumblr, too. And while I've seen plenty of oversensitive MRA and "all lives matter" types, even they aren't seeking out opportunities to take offense, outside of the trolls, which I already conceded.

seebs

Adventurer
:shrug: there is no good way to go any fighter on the topic without mod intervention, I imagine.

I'll just say, I use tumblr, too. And while I've seen plenty of oversensitive MRA and "all lives matter" types, even they aren't seeking out opportunities to take offense, outside of the trolls, which I already conceded.

I've seen people from basically every demographic who are not trolls, but who are actively seeking to take offense, because they get addicted to feeling angry. It's not a huge percentage or anything, but it's out there and always has been. People get into the thrill of feeling angry and not having to feel bad about other people, so they go look for things they can take offense at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads