• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

After DDXP, how are you feeling about D&En?

How do you feel about D&Dnext/5E?

• Yay!

Votes: 173 64.1%
  • meh

Votes: 78 28.9%
  • Ick!

Votes: 19 7.0%

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
So the seminars are transcribed and some playtester response is floating around. How are you feeling about D&Dnext/5E?

I'm solidly in the "meh" camp. I was super excited when I imagined the intent was to actually rewind the clock in some ways, but it appears that they are going to try and invent mechanics to try and get the same feel as previous mechanics, which seems sort of silly. I'll certainly be keeping up and still intend to playtest in whatever fashion they make available, but I am not particularly excited by yet another new D&D.

LordArchaon

Explorer
The latest seminar did slide in the first doubts about the mechanics, but all in all, I think I figured out the whole design philosophy and quality, and I'm appreciating it very, very much.
The greatest attraction for tinkerers as myself is the modularity and the openness, compared to the stricter (though beautiful IMO) 4e. Maybe I won't like the specific crunch of the very basic core of Next, but I'm sure it will be a blast to DM and play once it will get a bit more advanced.
Also, I'm intrigued by the new "DMing philosophy" it brings. It looks like it will bring more freedom to the table, for most things! :)

Too soon to tell. At this point I think I'm cautiously optimistic, but we know so little and there is a great deal left to resolve.

Frankly, whatever the new edition looks like, it will take some time to evaluate. 3E and 4E both felt odd to me at first. With 3E I went from "this is odd" to "this is OK" to "this is great!" over time. With 4E I went from "this is odd" to "this is fun" to "this is dull" in a similar arc.

I'm excited. I was excited when 4E was on it's way out, but part of that was because I was getting a gaming group together for the first time in a while. The group was not heavy RPG readers and the simplicity of 4E seemed ideal. But the combat grind got us (all wargamers too) and so we went CoC and then Dragon Age. The DA game and it's old school vibe was going great when RL put a stop to the game. I have realised that there is a lot of old school yearnings in me so this edition which looks forward as well as back really is floating my boat.

Even though I won't be gaming it unless thing drastically change :(

Nagol

Unimportant
I'm feeling about the same now as before DDXP: interested enough to pay attention, but not particulary excited.

The messaging out of the con was (understandably) short on development specifics and focused on "aspirational" intent. I don't give that content too much weight; too much can affect the design and throw off theresult. All it tells me is what, given an ideal world with infinite resuorces and compliant audience, the developers hope to make.

Once the playtest becomes truly open and I can peruse the current ruleset, I may be able to draw a better conclusion.

Ichneumon

First Post
Relieved to know some solid snippets on it, pleased with what I've seen, and looking forward to playing it. Not letting myself get too excited yet, though. There's about a year and a half to go, and you can't burn up all the excitement at once.

Remove ads