After Waterdeep what should be the next FR adventure?

Beyond that, they recently did a Know Your Lore on Cormyr, so I wouldn't be surprised if we were to visit the area in the near future, especially as it'a always been a popular region of the setting...

It's 8 months until the next unknown book drops. I doubt they're seeding too much into LYSK right now. They do 45 of those in a year, and only so many can expand on the adventures. Sometimes, what they talk about is related to other products and IP. Heck, they did Vecna just because he was featured on Critical Role...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's 8 months until the next unknown book drops. I doubt they're seeding too much into LYSK right now. They do 45 of those in a year, and only so many can expand on the adventures. Sometimes, what they talk about is related to other products and IP. Heck, they did Vecna just because he was featured on Critical Role...

Well, who knows what they are seeding and where: they were seeding hints about Dragon Heist and DotMM for years. Sylgar, the Xanathar's fish, came up for the first time in Volo's Guide to Monsters, of all places.

Well, who knows what they are seeding and where: they were seeding hints about Dragon Heist and DotMM for years. Sylgar, the Xanathar's fish, came up for the first time in Volo's Guide to Monsters, of all places.
1) Sylgar is BS. That was a comedic invention that serves no purpose but to make Xanathar less scary and more bumbling. We didn't need a behold crime boss that was more akin to Doctor Claw. Oh Perkins and his forced comedy...

2) We see hints and references, yes. But, ostensibly, LYSK is about giving you lore useful to your games. If the podcast is separated from by the product by more than 4 months, it's not very useful. You won't remember it, as you wouldn't have known you should have cared.

Sure, they do set-up announcements in LYSK. The ones in the month or two prior to an announcement tend to be important. And the ones following tend to tie back as well. Other times, it's just some fun filler lore. Lore on the world and D&D in general.
For example, the Cormyr one being referenced was back in April. Would they really set-up and give important lore in a podcast a year prior to when you'd need those details?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
1) Sylgar is BS. That was a comedic invention that serves no purpose but to make Xanathar less scary and more bumbling. We didn't need a behold crime boss that was more akin to Doctor Claw. Oh Perkins and his forced comedy...

2) We see hints and references, yes. But, ostensibly, LYSK is about giving you lore useful to your games. If the podcast is separated from by the product by more than 4 months, it's not very useful. You won't remember it, as you wouldn't have known you should have cared.

Sure, they do set-up announcements in LYSK. The ones in the month or two prior to an announcement tend to be important. And the ones following tend to tie back as well. Other times, it's just some fun filler lore. Lore on the world and D&D in general.
For example, the Cormyr one being referenced was back in April. Would they really set-up and give important lore in a podcast a year prior to when you'd need those details?

Well, I like Perkins hunor personally, but YMMV. The point is that there is a multipage section in Volo's Guide that is material related to Dragon Heist specifically, from the early work they were doing on the AP. Long game, man, long game.

A follow up to Out of the Abyss involving the undead mindflayers invading the surface. Based on the Monster Manual (gnolls and chimera, specifically), it seems like when demon lords wander around the material plane, new monsters seem to pop up, so it could involve more than just mindflayers.

I don't really care where the deadflayers show up, but maybe someplace we haven't had an adventure set in the FR in 5e yet....

Pretty sure the follow up to OotA is the plot for the new Drizz't trilogy of novels. The final paragraph from Amazon for the plot description:

"The answer lies in their desire for peace over chaos. And as long as the scourge of the goddess Lolth’s ambitions still remain, both are determined to keep her dark will at bay. But the Spider Queen is powerful, and now demons have been unleashed on the unwitting denizens of the surface world. United in purpose—and through their mutual friendship with Jarlaxle—Zaknafein and Drizzt will need to put aside their differences in order to keep the ones they love safe."

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Something somewhere in Zakhara or Kara-Tur if I had my druthers.

Last edited:

Well, I like Perkins hunor personally, but YMMV. The point is that there is a multipage section in Volo's Guide that is material related to Dragon Heist specifically, from the early work they were doing on the AP. Long game, man, long game.

This. They drop hints years in advance. Unlike most, the Cormyr LYSK came out of the blue and wasn't connected to any then-current (or then-known-to-be-coming-up) product. It really stood out because of that, so I wouldn't put it beyond them to have started work on something Cormyr related and released the LYSK as the first hint.

And, as I said in my previous post, Cormyr is a popular region in the setting, as well as being Sword Coast adjacent. So it makes sense to go there early on once they start looking beyond the Sword Coast for adventure locales in the setting...

A follow up to Out of the Abyss involving the undead mindflayers invading the surface. Based on the Monster Manual (gnolls and chimera, specifically), it seems like when demon lords wander around the material plane, new monsters seem to pop up, so it could involve more than just mindflayers.

I don't really care where the deadflayers show up, but maybe someplace we haven't had an adventure set in the FR in 5e yet....
The follow-up to OotA would actually be the devilish adventure. The one where the archdevils show up and start making deals. They're one of the big enemy groups we haven't seen yet.

A Mind Flayer adventure would also be neat, but I imagine it being more planar and involving the Githzanki and Githzeri more. And likely not tied to OotA: the Mind Flayer bit of that storyline was planned for a novel that fell through.

Another possibility would be a more Stronghold focused adventure, like a castle.
That'd be neat as well.
You get a stronghold, fix it up, solve problems in the area, and claim a region. Perhaps even slowly building a small personal kingdom.

jgsugden

Legend
Reboot. Take us back to the setting at the time of the first boxed set. That was the best designed adventure world. I'd like either a blowout adventure in the current timeline that ends with the temporal reboot or just the flat reboot....

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The follow-up to OotA would actually be the devilish adventure. The one where the archdevils show up and start making deals. They're one of the big enemy groups we haven't seen yet.

A Mind Flayer adventure would also be neat, but I imagine it being more planar and involving the Githzanki and Githzeri more. And likely not tied to OotA: the Mind Flayer bit of that storyline was planned for a novel that fell through.

That'd be neat as well.
You get a stronghold, fix it up, solve problems in the area, and claim a region. Perhaps even slowly building a small personal kingdom.

Yeah, for Mindflayer stuff, I expect there to be a Firestorm Peak inspired storyline at some point, considering the multiple hi ts toward that. But who knows when they might do it, rather than sow more hints.

Remove ads