• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Against the Shadows VII - A Faded Glory Story Hour (Re-Updated - 5/17)

What Do You Like Best About This Story Hour?

• The Campaign World

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • The Characters

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • The Multitude of Plot Lines

• The Narrative/Action

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • The Whole Package!

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Nothing! It Sucks!

Coming out of the shadows

I have been inspired by recent comments on this thread and others finally to delurk and thank Old One for presenting this excellent story.

When I first started lurking on these boards many many moons ago, this was the first Story Hour that I really took to. I loved (and still do) the fact that the world has a very distinct feel to it, quite removed from "normal" D&D worlds. It shows that sometimes less is more!

And it's very well written too.

(Of course, if it was updated more often, it would be even better ;) ).

And may I add my (slightly belated) congrats on the birth of your second. I remember (dimly) when my two were new born - smelly nappies and permanent tiredness cos of the broken nights. Now they're teenagers - endless demands for money and still permanent tiredness from all the late mights after providing the compulsory parental taxi service to and from parties, the cinema, etc. etc. .... :\

Rel

Liquid Awesome
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit said:
When I first started lurking on these boards many many moons ago, this was the first Story Hour that I really took to. I loved (and still do) the fact that the world has a very distinct feel to it, quite removed from "normal" D&D worlds. It shows that sometimes less is more!

I'm rather partial to it too. ;)

Welcome aboard! Or, rather, nice to have had you as a stowaway. :D

Rel said:
Welcome aboard! Or, rather, nice to have had you as a stowaway. :D

Thank you. And I do enjoy your version of Old One's world too :) - which I will say on your thread .... once I've caught up :D .

Oh, and I'd just like to add my testimony to the addictive powers of Rome: Total War.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Thank you. And I do enjoy your version of Old One's world too :) - which I will say on your thread .... once I've caught up :D .

Well if you've just recently started reading, you picked a good time. I'm well into the buildup toward the exciting conclusion of the campaign and I seem to have enough momentum to knock out at least one update a week on average. I'm thinking it should hold to the end.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Hey, Old One. When you get a chance, drop me an e-mail. I tried to send you one but it came back as undeliverable so I think I may have an old or incorrect e-dress in my address book.

Look_a_Unicorn

First Post
Hi Old One,

I followed the link from Rel's story hour into yours and am greatly enjoying these adventures as well. It's kinda disorienting having such completely different perceptions of the same landscapes- a very different feeling in both campaigns (though a lot of that may be due to the darker nature of your later posts).
Just don't ask me to choose which one I like better ;)

I assume the dragon took Quintus away as you said his player had to have a hiatus- what about Druscilla? Or was she an NPC?

Congrats on your (newish) young one!

Old One

First Post
Yo!

Tramp4life said:
Old One et al, I'm in Vegas!!!
Congrats on the child, and I'll be checking this story hour to see how you abuse Cragen!!!
Whenever you and the wife come out, we'll be around.
Also, give me a call if you know of gamers in the Vegas area...

TFL

TFL,

How are things in Vegas? Been to any good..erm...adult establishments yet? I will drop you a line if we are headed that way...definitely stay in touch. BTW, how is the weather out there? It sucks here :p!

~OO

Old One

First Post
Hi!

I have been inspired by recent comments on this thread and others finally to delurk and thank Old One for presenting this excellent story.

And it's very well written too.

(Of course, if it was updated more often, it would be even better ;) ).

And may I add my (slightly belated) congrats on the birth of your second. I remember (dimly) when my two were new born - smelly nappies and permanent tiredness cos of the broken nights. Now they're teenagers - endless demands for money and still permanent tiredness from all the late mights after providing the compulsory parental taxi service to and from parties, the cinema, etc. etc. .... :\

HO-HB,

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the kind words! I too wish it was updated more ;) :p! I actually get more time to write at work than at home...go figure. I am typing this while trying to keep my 6-week old daughter asleep for just a few more minutes!

Hopefully it won't be too long until the next installment.

~ Oldie

Old One

First Post
Welcome Aboard!

Look_a_Unicorn said:
Hi Old One,

I followed the link from Rel's story hour into yours and am greatly enjoying these adventures as well. It's kinda disorienting having such completely different perceptions of the same landscapes- a very different feeling in both campaigns (though a lot of that may be due to the darker nature of your later posts).
Just don't ask me to choose which one I like better ;)

I assume the dragon took Quintus away as you said his player had to have a hiatus- what about Druscilla? Or was she an NPC?

Congrats on your (newish) young one!

Looks_a_Unicorn,

Thanks for stopping by...

One of the funniest things about Rel and Faded Glory is that our maps are almost mirror images of each other. I finally sent him a rough campaign maps sometime ago and he had set-up everything on the reverse! I really like the direction he has taken his campaign and am still eminently flattered that he chose to use my creation as the basis for his excellent campaign. One day, I hope to actually do a guest shot in this FG campaign!

Drusilla has always been an NPC. There are several factors behind Quintus's "abduction" by the Dragon - one of which was his player's long-term hiatus and the fact that I was dealing with too darn many NPCs ;)! There actually are some campaign reasons behind it, which hopefully will, be revealed before too much longer.

Thanks again for popping in!

~ Old One

willpax

First Post
The board tells me I last visited on 13 December--has it really been that long? My gaming group fell apart over a year ago, and the only reason I check into ENWorld is to see this story hour. I'm a teacher in my tenure year, so life has been very busy.

But enough about me. What a great kid! Thanks for posting the pictures. Everyone looks healthy after such a rough pregnancy--what a blessing.

And not just one but two updates! With great juicy plot tidbits in them and everything! I love your dragon description--you did a good job of capturing the awesome power and overwhelming presence of such a beast.

Remove ads